New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
7,905
723
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told to expect a new 50mm lens, as well as a new non L 70-300 soon. These lenses may not be part of this Friday’s announcements, but could be coming soon after.</p>
<p>There was no mention of the speed of the new 50mm and which in the lineup it would replace. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t the 1.4 version that was getting the update, as that lens is over 30 years old. As for the 70-300mm, I would assume it would be a replacement for the non-L, non-DO 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
 
Jan 30, 2015
336
0
Re: New 50mm & 70-300 Coming Soon? [CR2]

Good news. Canon has been slacking off with the non-L EF lenses. All of the love has been going to the STM lenses for crop. Their cheaper FF lens lineup is seriously getting outdated and needs a big jolt of mojo. If they can bring STM level image quality to cheaper EF lenses, then full frame will be much more appealing to the lower market.
 

dancan

I'm New Here
Jan 8, 2015
9
2
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

What about the earlier mentioned new TSE 45 lens?
I am really waiting for a replacement of the 100 year old one!
 

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
517
0
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

Okay, I am seriously thinking about a 50mm prime. I was not considering any of Canon's current offerings, but this is interesting news! :)
 

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
6,316
0
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

Canon Rumors said:
We’re told to expect a new 50mm lens, as well as a new non L 70-300 soon. These lenses may not be part of this Friday’s announcements, but could be coming soon after.
* 70-300: While I'm happy that my good ol' 70-300L won't be obsoleted during the next days, the lack of an "L" update is puzzling as this lens imho isn't sharp enough for the upcoming 50mp sensor. Maybe Canon doesn't want to add competition to their 100-400L2 and produce something cheaper than an "L"?

* 50: Most likely this will be the 50IS? If so my comment is "Doh!" as personally I really want to have a sealed lens for outdoor use, and Canon's current policy only allows this for "L" lenses (feel free to correct me on this).
 

GammyKnee

EOS RP
Jan 24, 2013
246
2
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

Ivan Muller said:
my bet..50f2 IS stm....
What I want is an updated, trustworthy 50 1.4, but instead I'm expecting a 50 f2 IS non-stm, basically what they did for 35mm.
 

bmwzimmer

EOS 80D
Mar 11, 2013
112
0
So Cal
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

Make it a 50mm f/1.4 IS as good as the 35 f/2 IS. Unfortunately I think it will be an f/1.8 or f/2 IS to distance it from the 50L. If this thing was f/1.4 and sharp wide open like the 35IS is, many folks would buy this over the L version but making it f/1.8 or f/2 makes the decision more difficult.
 

iron-t

EOS T7i
Oct 8, 2013
80
0
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

Love the idea of updating my EF 50 f/1.4. Nice IQ at f/2.8 but the AF speed is really a drag, as well as the wash-out at f/1.4.

I would pay a good deal of money for a 1.4 IS, but I bet if it has IS it will be 1.8 or 2 and undercut the Sigma Art in price by a fair margin. If it's 1.4, non-L it will cost less than the Sigma, be smaller and lighter, and perform almost as well. I'll probably buy one whatever it is.
 
Sep 20, 2012
1,689
0
Houston, TX
Re: New 50mm & 70-300 Coming Soon? [CR2]

PhotographyFirst said:
Good news. Canon has been slacking off with the non-L EF lenses. All of the love has been going to the STM lenses for crop. Their cheaper FF lens lineup is seriously getting outdated and needs a big jolt of mojo. If they can bring STM level image quality to cheaper EF lenses, then full frame will be much more appealing to the lower market.
24mm f/2.8 IS, 28mm f/2.8 IS, 35mm f/2 IS.
::)
 

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Nov 7, 2013
2,696
521
Germany
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

lintoni said:
Okay, I am seriously thinking about a 50mm prime. I was not considering any of Canon's current offerings, but this is interesting news! :)
Similar to me! As I am not in a hurry I have time to wait and see.

Ivan Muller said:
my bet..50f2 IS stm....
omg. I fear you my be right but let's hope not so... :'(

Please let it be
- ring USM
- at least f1.8 or wider
- IS if possible

Otherwise I'm out :(
 

Triggyman

EOS T7i
Sep 10, 2013
96
0
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

Canon Rumors said:
<p>There was no mention of the speed of the new 50mm and which in the lineup it would replace. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t the 1.4 version that was getting the update, as that lens is over 30 years old.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
The lens can't be over 30 years old - that makes the year at least it was made before 1984 during the era of FD lenses. EF was born 1987.

I too was waiting/excited for the 50 IS for too long that I couldn't wait and got the 24-70 II. I'm sure the new 50 will have max aperture of at least f/2 or 1.8.
 

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
641
0
Horseshoe Bay, TX
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

If the 50mm lens is an f/x IS USM model, following on the heels of the 24-, 28- and 35mm models introduced in 2012, it'll be interesting to see how it's priced at launch ... "stratospheric" like the above three initially were, or more "realistically," like recent L zooms.
 

liv_img

I'm New Here
Feb 7, 2011
18
6
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]



The lens can't be over 30 years old - that makes the year at least it was made before 1984 during the era of FD lenses. EF was born 1987.

[/quote]

The 50mm f:1.4 was born in 1993, 22 years ago:
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/lens/ef/data/standard/ef_50_14_usm.html
 

siegsAR

EOS RP
Mar 5, 2013
216
7
Auckland
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

JonAustin said:
If the 50mm lens is an f/x IS USM model, following on the heels of the 24-, 28- and 35mm models introduced in 2012, it'll be interesting to see how it's priced at launch ... "stratospheric" like the above three initially were, or more "realistically," like recent L zooms.
I'm going for the latter this time.

Maybe the 70-300 won't have the STM, just a plain replacement for the 70-300 IS USM.
 

NancyP

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 17, 2013
1,297
14
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

I wouldn't mind an f/2 IS lens that is really sharp wide open and doesn't weigh a ton. Sigma has the f/1.4 market sewn up. I am not crazy about STM, it having no advantage for the non-video photographer.
 

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
3,778
0
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

Bring the new 50mm, I've been using a zuikos OM 50mm 1.4 as a temp until I got the sigma, but I can wait for something less expensive.
 

IglooEater

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 15, 2014
904
0
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

If there's a 50 1.4 I'm getting it in a heartbeat. Been looking at those for over a year since I broke my 50 1.8 and didn't really find an alternative I really liked (and could afford :p)
 

steliosk

EOS 80D
Jun 12, 2012
146
4
www.stelioskritikakis.com
Re: New 50mm & 70-300mm Coming Soon? [CR2]

A new 50 f/1.4 is needed.

The way i see it the Sigma 50 1.4 ART is the only reasonable choice for best sharpness and cost.
I'd really like an equal Canon one, i'd buy it without question.

Hope not STM, there is 40 pancake close to that mm.