New 50mm lens coming alongside a high end mirrorless camera [CR1]

Unfortunatelly for us the Japanese camera manufactures work all together, they are a cartel. I've been observing the camera markt for a while and ... it is a consequent and sistematic trend to see cameras always leaking some kind of feature. a 5D mark IV with a crop 1,7 4K video with huge files, why? and without an articulating screen, not even a tilting one. Why? In my opinion to not compete with the Nikons. That's right. They only pretend to compete but don't do that actually. All semi-professional and professional Nikon bodies have a dual card slot, you name it (D500, D7200/7500; Nikon Df; D610;D750; D800/800e/810/850... all have a dual card slot and the "revolutionary" Z cameras have only one? why? In order to let Sony A7 series some room for sales (cartel policy) and BTW... the Z cameras have only 1 slot and this only one is dedicated to a "Sony made medium" , the XQD!! (Nikon gets Sony sensors, does but a favor with the single card slot and a poor battery life) That said... I am afraid our next beloved Canon body will leak also some key feature in order to what...? exactly ... to not compete aggressively against a Nikon or Sony. We can expect that the Canon mirrorless will come WITHOUT IBIS, with an EF mount to use all the Canon gems but also to estimulate buying the new generation of IS Canon lenses (stabilization is crucial). That for now. In some 2 to 4 years Nikons Z will also have a dual slot and Canon bodies IBIS on board. That is my prophecy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Unfortunatelly for us the Japanese camera manufactures work all together, they are a cartel. I've been observing the camera markt for a while and ... it is a consequent and sistematic trend to see cameras always leaking some kind of feature. a 5D mark IV with a crop 1,7 4K video with huge files, why? and without an articulating screen, not even a tilting one. Why? In my opinion to not compete with the Nikons. That's right. They only pretend to compete but don't do that actually.

[long exposition on feature set inequality amongst different products]

That is my prophecy.

Wait, you are arguing each manufacturer is colluding to each have something neat and cool that the others could do but mysteriously don't?

To what end? To get internet maniacs to buy everything in frustration and secretly keep all three companies financially solvent?

I have another theory. Some people want a system with perfect (or possibly just a very particular) set of specs, and failing to find exactly that combination of specs, they fret and wish their chosen company would just get their act in gear.

We camera enthusiasts call this phenomenon 'Tuesday'.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Dear Camera Gods,

Please let this EF rumor be true. Also let my prayers for IBIS, weather sealing, tilt screen, and Eye AF be answered.
I'd like to see an EF mount, but I'm not so sure about IBIS and Eye AF.

How can IBIS be better than optical IS? IBIS would need to be digital and would waste potential resolution advatages of higher megapixel sensors. Or, am I missing something with current IBIS tech?

And, wasn't Eye AF proven useless with Canon's film bodies? After selecting the focus point, I find that I'm constantly scanning the background when composing the image. Would this mess with Eye AF? I suspect the Eye AF would force users to develop tunnel vision on the poertion of the image that they want in focus and train the user to ignore the background more.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Just got a tamron 45mm sabilized 1.8 and it is mighty big.
If you ever get your hands on a vintage Canon 1.8/50mm rangefinder lens you'll be surprised how small it is. It's dimensions are roughly comparable with a film cartridge - beautifully small, light and quite sharp.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany

And, wasn't Eye AF proven useless with Canon's film bodies? After selecting the focus point, I find that I'm constantly scanning the background when composing the image. Would this mess with Eye AF? I suspect the Eye AF would force users to develop tunnel vision on the poertion of the image that they want in focus and train the user to ignore the background more.

I never could get Eye AF really working on my EOS 3, I guess because I wear glasses. But you're right: you first have to scan the whole composition and then hit the button half-way to activate AF, and at this moment you have to fix what you want to be sharp. I think many customers were too frustrated with Eye AF, so Canon gave up implementing it.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
How can IBIS be better than optical IS? IBIS would need to be digital and would waste potential resolution advatages of higher megapixel sensors. Or, am I missing something with current IBIS tech?

I think you may be mixing up IBIS and pixel-shift technology. Pixel shift is a trick you can do with an IBIS camera, but if you want a pure pixel readout of your 45 MP sensor, you still absolutely can do that.

I defer to others here, but for shorter FLs and using a mirrorless setup, IBIS is not a bad call at all. That said, I love my IS lenses presently on my 5D3.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not the ringer on this either, but I believe (again) we're talking about two different things:
  • I thought Canon's old eye-related AF with film cameras was using the photographer's eye to set the focus point in the frame. That's dead and buried.

• The Eye AF everyone is raving about is Sony's ability to deliberately nail AF on the subject's eyes.
Two very different things!

- A

Upvote 0

Hey I just ordered a 85L is so I like stabilized lenses but I also have a A7RII and having IBIS on lenses that aren't stabilized is nice (16-35, 24-70, etc etc). pros and cons to having lens stabilized vs the whole sensor but I say why not both?

I am referring to a different kind of Eye AF. not where you control the focus point with your eye but the camera will find the subjects eyes and automatically focus on them for you. search for it on youtube its pretty cool, but by no means a need.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Just do it Canon. I've been wanting one for a decade.

-- a current owner of the 1.8 STM and 1.4 USM, former owner of the 2.5 Macro, the 1.8 II, the Sigma 1.4, and the 1.4 ART.
My only 50mm is the only one you didn't mention: Canon EF50m 1.8 (In case you wondered it's the first version with the metal mount :cool: )

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

IBIS physically moves the sensor by sub-pixel distances and works best with wider angle lenses. It’s movements are finer, but it does not have the range of OS.

Then we have pixel shift (usually in shooting video) where the block of pixels used to create the image is shifted to the next pixel(s) to stabilize the image. This is a gross movement, but it has far more range than IBIS or OS....

At the end we have OS, where a lens element is shifted to try and keep the image steady, and works best with long lenses... it has greater range, but lacks the fineness of IBIS.

So far, only Panasonic <EDIT> and Olympus</EDIT>does IBIS combined with OS..... I would not be surprised to see it on a Canon Mirrorless......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunatelly for us the Japanese camera manufactures work all together, they are a cartel. I've been observing the camera markt for a while and ... it is a consequent and sistematic trend to see cameras always leaking some kind of feature. a 5D mark IV with a crop 1,7 4K video with huge files, why? and without an articulating screen, not even a tilting one. Why? In my opinion to not compete with the Nikons. That's right. They only pretend to compete but don't do that actually. All semi-professional and professional Nikon bodies have a dual card slot, you name it (D500, D7200/7500; Nikon Df; D610;D750; D800/800e/810/850... all have a dual card slot and the "revolutionary" Z cameras have only one? why?

Nikon D7500 has only one card slot. This does not even have a battery grip available.

Upvote 0