NEW ___ Sell Your Gear - Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivid Color

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 7, 2012
Re: NEW ___ Sell Your Gear - Beta Test

I have at least one lens I'd like to sell. If the beta test is still open, please add me. Thanks!

Vivid

celltech

EOS T7i
Jan 14, 2013

I actually have several lenses I want to sell...please add me to this test.

I love this idea...I feel people on this forum understand how a lens actually works and will not cut off communications when told there is actually a speck or two of dust in a pumper :)

Gareth

I'm New Here
Jun 30, 2013
Los Angeles, California

I had to go through the forum list twice to find the "For Sale" forum. Since the actual forum name is just "Cameras and Lenses" and the header is grey text against black (so it doesn't jump out at you). That, and it's named "Photography Equipment Sales", so it's the third word in before you see "Sales". Consider renaming the forum name to "For Sale: Cameras and Lenses" to make it easier to find.

As a buyer, I'd be looking to pay a little less than eBay prices, figuring the seller is saving 6-10% on eBay fees (plus 2.9% for PayPal, but that would probably still be paid), and I know eBay has my back if a transaction goes bad. In general, I want to save at LEAST 20% buying used, preferably 25-30% or more. If the sellers are only asking 10-15% less than new (as a couple of these listing are), I'll either buy new, refurb'd, or find somewhere else to buy used (especially if the eBay prices will save me another 10% or more). It's the same reason I don't buy a lot of photography equipment on Craigslist; Sellers are asking too much.

Now some sellers might list high intentionally with the expectation to negotiate, but if you list too high, buyers might be put off and thus there would be very little contact/activity. Or, sellers might just be waiting for that one buyer willing to pay (which, quite frankly, is what I do on Craigslist sometimes, but I fully expect it might take weeks, if not months to sell an item that way).

Act444

EOS 6D MK II
May 4, 2011

Cool idea!

Is this fee going to be a one-time fee or a monthly subscription type fee?

KeithBreazeal

EOS 6D MK II
Jan 16, 2014
www.kbvp.com

Great idea and good timing. Might see a lot of 7Ds & 5D Mark IIIs hitting the boards. It's fair to charge for the service- somebody has to do all the "background work". Hope this takes off and people play fair.

Moderator1

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 30, 2010

We now have 10 signed up to try it, room for 5 more.

The test is going to expire in October.

Moderator1

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 30, 2010

Gareth said:
I had to go through the forum list twice to find the "For Sale" forum. Since the actual forum name is just "Cameras and Lenses" and the header is grey text against black (so it doesn't jump out at you). That, and it's named "Photography Equipment Sales", so it's the third word in before you see "Sales". Consider renaming the forum name to "For Sale: Cameras and Lenses" to make it easier to find.

As a buyer, I'd be looking to pay a little less than eBay prices, figuring the seller is saving 6-10% on eBay fees (plus 2.9% for PayPal, but that would probably still be paid), and I know eBay has my back if a transaction goes bad. In general, I want to save at LEAST 20% buying used, preferably 25-30% or more. If the sellers are only asking 10-15% less than new (as a couple of these listing are), I'll either buy new, refurb'd, or find somewhere else to buy used (especially if the eBay prices will save me another 10% or more). It's the same reason I don't buy a lot of photography equipment on Craigslist; Sellers are asking too much.

Now some sellers might list high intentionally with the expectation to negotiate, but if you list too high, buyers might be put off and thus there would be very little contact/activity. Or, sellers might just be waiting for that one buyer willing to pay (which, quite frankly, is what I do on Craigslist sometimes, but I fully expect it might take weeks, if not months to sell an item that way).
Everyone has their theory.

Some feel that buying from a actual photographer who knows and cares about his equipment is worth something. Some are just looking at price, and that's fine too. Make a offer to a seller if you think his price is more than the going rate. I'm sure that Photographers would rather their equipment go to a buyer who is experienced as well.

One of the reasons CR is only opening the forum to those who have been here for a while is to let buyers look at previous member posts and form their own opinion.

CR is not going to set prices or mediate arguments, so you do have to consider that.

RustyTheGeek

EOR R
Apr 27, 2011
DFW
rustythegeek.zenfolio.com

Personally, I think it's a win/win if good gear can be transferred from one dedicated owner to another who have a working familiarity with one another thanks to the forums.

Personally, I think it's a win/win if good gear can be transferred from one dedicated owner to another who have a working familiarity with one another thanks to the forums.

(Sorry Admin, I couldn't resist "copying" you!) ;D

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com

Just a thought, if this goes live, perhaps if there are sufficient posts per week, a split into country / regions might be useful - I may be interested in buying a lens in the UK, but not so one in the US for example

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas

Haydn1971 said:
Just a thought, if this goes live, perhaps if there are sufficient posts per week, a split into country / regions might be useful - I may be interested in buying a lens in the UK, but not so one in the US for example
This is a good idea given the geographic diversity of the CR members.

Moderator1

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 30, 2010

Haydn1971 said:
At first, members will need to post their location.

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de

CR Backup Admin said:
Only a small handful of users have asked to try out the buy and sell forum, at this point, I'm wondering if the effort already expended was time wasted.
I know the board software is rather limited (but much nice to look at than your standard vbb, btw)... but anyway, here's a wish:

I usually use the "Show unread posts since last visit" option to scan for new threads that could benefit from my wisdom and deep photography insight :->. Currently, this is being spammed by "17-40L" and the like threads that are only "for sale" posts very few people will be interested in.

Could you please:
a) add an option not to let this subforum show up on the "Show unread posts since last visit" list, or ideally let the users select what subforums they're interested in at all
b) if this is not possible: Add a mandatory prefix "For sale" to posts in this subforum so they are recognizable at first sight.
c) remove this subforum, personally I don't really think its necessary esp. since the CR memebers seem the be spread around the globe and I'm unlikely to buy used gear from another country.

Thanks for considering!

Moderator1

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 30, 2010

Marsu42 said:
CR Backup Admin said:
Only a small handful of users have asked to try out the buy and sell forum, at this point, I'm wondering if the effort already expended was time wasted.
I know the board software is rather limited (but much nice to look at than your standard vbb, btw)... but anyway, here's a wish:

I usually use the "Show unread posts since last visit" option to scan for new threads that could benefit from my wisdom and deep photography insight :->. Currently, this is being spammed by "17-40L" and the like threads that are only "for sale" posts very few people will be interested in.

Could you please:
a) add an option not to let this subforum show up on the "Show unread posts since last visit" list, or ideally let the users select what subforums they're interested in at all
b) if this is not possible: Add a mandatory prefix "For sale" to posts in this subforum so they are recognizable at first sight.
c) remove this subforum, personally I don't really think its necessary esp. since the CR memebers seem the be spread around the globe and I'm unlikely to buy used gear from another country.

Thanks for considering!
I did find a feature called "allow Boards to be Ignored". I turned it on. You can now check the boards you wish to ignore in your profile.

From the user manual.

"Ignore Boards Options

If enabled by an administrator, users can choose to ignore any boards on the forum. When a board is ignored, it is still shown on the Board Index, but the New Posts icon will not show up for this board. In addition, new posts will not be shown for an ignored board when using the link Show unread posts since last visit. Neither will they be shown when using the link Unread posts next to the category names in the Board Index. However, when using the link Show new replies to your posts, new posts in an ignored board will still be shown. Also, when entering an ignored board via the Board Index, topics that have new posts will still be indicated with an icon.
"

I may have to turn this off if a lot of people use it and it drags the system down. The processor might have to check that table every time. We have a lot of members on the board at one time, and around the time of new model announcements, I've seen several thousand.

I'll try to turn off this feature for new users and only have it active for those with X posts.

Act444

EOS 6D MK II
May 4, 2011

There's some stuff I'm looking to part with in the next couple of months or so...looking forward to see whether this pans out or not.

If it's not too late to be part of the test group...

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011

Act444 said:
There's some stuff I'm looking to part with in the next couple of months or so...looking forward to see whether this pans out or not.

If it's not too late to be part of the test group...
Did you send a pm as noted in the OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.