New Battery Grip for EOS 5D Mark IV & More [CR2]

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Larsskv said:
dilbert said:
It is time for a new battery that has better capacity.

Although I appreciate the opportunity to use the same batteries, I've noticed that the 5Ds and 7DII drains the LP-E6 batteries noticably faster than my 6D did. I'm conflicted whether I want new batteries or not.
...and curiously my 7DII drains the LP-E6 batteries faster than my 5DIII (both gripped).
Yes, while continuation of the LP-E6 would be convenient, a meaningful battery performance upgrade would be welcome.

-pw

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
pierlux said:
dilbert said:

Provided the form factor is the same for compatibility, any increase in capacity is welcome. Don't expect much, advances in lithium chemistry batteries were minimal in the last few years, see laptop and smartphone batteries for comparison. A bigger battery is unlikely, I suppose the body won't grow any bigger, possibly the opposite.
higher capacity is good not bigger battery, you people are asking for more problems in weight. I shoot all day on one charge on my battery the most I will use is two, what the hell you people are using that kills out your battery's so much?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
AshtonNekolah said:
pierlux said:
dilbert said:

Provided the form factor is the same for compatibility, any increase in capacity is welcome. Don't expect much, advances in lithium chemistry batteries were minimal in the last few years, see laptop and smartphone batteries for comparison. A bigger battery is unlikely, I suppose the body won't grow any bigger, possibly the opposite.
higher capacity is good not bigger battery, you people are asking for more problems in weight. I shoot all day on one charge on my battery the most I will use is two, what the hell you people are using that kills out your battery's so much?

I'm only using up battery on the 5D3 when in live view for macro 5x/10x focusing. Other than that I don't want a new battery, for the Mk4 or the 6D2. There's a reason why it's been in use with more bodies than any other battery... it's awesome.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
mrsfotografie said:
pierlux said:
Larsskv said:
dilbert said:

Although I appreciate the opportunity to use the same batteries, I've noticed that the 5Ds and 7DII drains the LP-E6 batteries noticably faster than my 6D did. I'm conflicted whether I want new batteries or not.

I can't say for the 5Ds, but the 7DII drains the battery even when the camera is turned off, though the discharge rate is very low. My 5DII does not.

Possibly, comparing the 6D and the 7DII, dual digic and dual card play their part.

My 5DIII also drains batteries when turned off and indeed my 5DII doesn't. This is one area where the old defeats the new...
I definitely recommend getting it checked out ASAP.

Here is what happened with mine:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=27410.msg541899#msg541899

In my case there was a motherboard failure which was fortunately replaced under warranty.

Upvote 0
doog said:
pierlux said:
Larsskv said:
dilbert said:

I've noticed that the 5Ds and 7DII drains the LP-E6 batteries noticeably faster than my 6D did.

I can't say for the 5Ds, but the 7DII drains the battery even when the camera is turned off, though the discharge rate is very low. My 5DII does not.

If GPS is enabled, the camera never fully sleeps. Turn it off and check re-check your mileage. Too bad it can't trickle-charge using the incoming radiation from the satellites- there's dozens of 'em!

Doog, thanks for your suggestion and welcome to CR! Fact is that I always keep GPS disabled, I enable it occasionally only if I need it. But, as I said, the discharge rate is very low, in the order of 40% battery in a couple of months or so, maybe less. On the other hand, the 5DII's battery undergoes only normal self-discharge when the camera is not being used, i.e. approx 10-15% in the same time the 7DII eats 40% of it. I think it's nothing to be worried about, the camera works fine.

As for the trickle-charge using the incoming radiation from satellites, or from any random electromagnetic device either orbiting or on earth, the EM field intensity should be several billions times stronger for inducing a sufficient energy output from the antenna. Emitting antennas of wireless charging devices, think Apple watch or smartphones, generate focused EM fields on the receiving apparatus and both have to be very close, or in contact.

Upvote 0
AshtonNekolah said:
pierlux said:
dilbert said:

???
Neither dilbert, nor I, ask for bigger or heavier. Absolutely. I'm fine with the current LP-E6n, that's why I started off wishing for compatibility and ended up with hoping the opposite of bigger. :)

Upvote 0
For those guys asking about the red af point in Servo mode, this will also trickle down into one spot AF as well.

It's just that as far as a snippet of info goes, the missing red AF point in Servo was a major complaint. From me too.

The new 1DXii has the red AF point illumination in all modes and damn, is that thing brighter than the sun. Really handy for us tbh and I'm very pleased Canon has gone back to a much improved red dot AF point which is much brighter than the older versions.

I can't guarantee it mind you, but the AF point overlay is a kind of one trick deal. You can't really expect it to have multiple modules to separate the different types of AF point.

Upvote 0
IglooEater said:
Memdroid said:
RGF said:
pwp said:
Canon Rumors said:
...We’re also told that the EOS 5D Mark IV will see the return of the red autofocus point in AI servo mode...

Well that will be a welcome return. But why only in AI servo mode?

-pw

Really happy I Sold my 5dIII and battery grip. I had a feeling it was time for another change to the battery grip. Here is my guess for battery. Canon will release a new battery with the grip for the 5D Mark IV the LP – E19 same as the 1d X Mark II.

Like to see the option of using 1Dx series batteries in the grip.

That actually is pretty genius!
Other than obviously more juice on a charge, enabling more power for better AF and maybe even FPS speed sounds like a winner.

Maybe the grip could not occupy the battery compartment (using some other connection) and allow for three batteries at once. Or one 1D battery and one lp-e6 form.

Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:
RickWagoner said:
i believe there maybe a technical reason for a grip change besides the difference in body. Might have something to do with getting a higher fps using the grip.

I think you are confusing Canon with Nikon. Canon have never offered a higher fps with an optional accessory. With Canon, the FPS is set as part of the chip design and data architecture (throughput of the Digic processor). Canon decide what their specs will be according to market placement and then design the entire camera around those specs.

just asking...what if they are changing their ways on this?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
RickWagoner said:
neuroanatomist said:
RickWagoner said:
i believe there maybe a technical reason for a grip change besides the difference in body. Might have something to do with getting a higher fps using the grip.

More from your 'sources'? ::)

nope...just from a technical standpoint.

That makes no sense from a technical standpoint. Batteries in a grip are used alternately, not simultaneously. There's no additional instantaneous power, just more shooting time. Nothing to drive a higher frame rate. In the case of Nikon, there's a settings 'hack' that enables the higher frame rate without the grip.

If you'd suggested it was for marketing reasons, at least that would have sounded plausible.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
RickWagoner said:
neuroanatomist said:
RickWagoner said:

That makes no sense from a technical standpoint. Batteries in a grip are used alternately, not simultaneously. There's no additional instantaneous power, just more shooting time. Nothing to drive a higher frame rate. In the case of Nikon, there's a settings 'hack' that enables the higher frame rate without the grip.

If you'd suggested it was for marketing reasons, at least that would have sounded plausible.

Up to now this is not the case but it's possible by switching both batteries in series and use a (highly efficient, ~95%) step-down-converter to boost the voltage to sth. around 12 Volts.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
mb66energy said:
neuroanatomist said:
RickWagoner said:
neuroanatomist said:
RickWagoner said:

Up to now this is not the case but it's possible by switching both batteries in series and use a (highly efficient, ~95%) step-down-converter to boost the voltage to sth. around 12 Volts.

It's been possible to do that before, they have not done so. Marketing, not technical. But I highly doubt it's going to happen.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
mb66energy said:
neuroanatomist said:
RickWagoner said:
neuroanatomist said:
RickWagoner said:

Nikon cameras normally have different fps ratings depending on if they have a grip or not.

The only Canon camera I have owned that had different fps ratings was the 1V, if you used the grip with AA batteries it was slower than if you used it with the NiCad battery (the only way to get 10 fps), but that was a voltage thing.

Upvote 0

JP

Aug 5, 2014
The main reason why I am still shooting weddings & events with my aging 5DMkII bodies... even though I own two 5D MkIII bodies..(for video only)... is because of that red AF point. That's basically it. I do hope they return the AF point illuminated in RED... in both One Shot and AI-Servo... just as bright and obvious as the 5D2 has it... I can't stand switching the AF point and not being able to see which AF point is selected while I am missing opportunities of a life time because I slowed-down by their very annoying "improved".. AF system in the 5D3..

Give me that... and a flip-out screen like the 80D has, and I'll be a happy camper.

JP

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
AshtonNekolah said:

I use live view and it uses up a battery after 30 minutes. Video must eat it up even faster.

Not everyone uses the camera the same way.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
That makes no sense from a technical standpoint. Batteries in a grip are used alternately, not simultaneously.
Hate to burst your bubble, but my 7D Mark II uses both bateries simultaneously. Original grip, original bateries.

It's not like 1 battery drains to 0% and then the second one kicks in. Both lose power about equally.

Upvote 0