New Canon 70-200mm Lenses Coming in Early June [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told that Canon will finally unveil their new 70-200mm lenses with an early June announcement. Yes, that’s plural.</p>
<p>We can 100% confirm that one of the new lenses will be an EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II.</p>
<p>We can also 95% confirm that the second lens will be a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III. All of the tips we’ve seen point to this lens coming, but we haven’t actually seen the “f/2.8L IS III” in writing.</p>
<p>We do not know pricing or when these new 70-200mm lenses will begin shipping.</p>
<p>Please keep in mind that lens announcement dates can change, even at the last minute.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Dammit Canon, right when I think I could finally go buy myself a nice prime lens this summer, you replace my most-used, most mission-critical lens.

Well, guess that 85mm f/1.4L IS can wait until next year.... My 70-200 f/2.8L IS II is my oldest lens still in service, and the age is starting to show. Have beat it up in all kinds of ways in all kinds of places. Not sure if it ever hasn't smelled like smoke with the amount of fire it has seen.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It will be interesting in what ways it will be better than the existing camera and how in real world situations that would prove itself.
I find it hard to perceive a 70-200mm better than the existing one so it will be interesting.
A 70-200 F4 is tempting for travel as its far lighter and also the existing version is very good.
I can't wait to see the tests on these two.

Upvote 0
Hector1970 said:
It will be interesting in what ways it will be better than the existing camera and how in real world situations that would prove itself.
I find it hard to perceive a 70-200mm better than the existing one so it will be interesting.
A 70-200 F4 is tempting for travel as its far lighter and also the existing version is very good.

I own the existing f/4 70-200 IS and it is really really good. Only f/4 @ 1.2m & 200mm shows some halos around sharp subjects but just that is some interesting rendering of the real object and at the end the sharpness/contrast/"texture fidelity" are great just in that worst case scenario.

Maybe the have shorter minimum focus distance (others have in their comparable lenses) and
maybe they have some movie related AF mechanism which uses USM for sports and STM for video and
maybe some enhancements for the IS (5-stop? 6-stop?).

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hector1970 said:

Yeah, when I read this, that was my first thought too...

the 70-200mm f/2.8 is about my oldest (2nd lens I bought after I got my first DSLR, a 5D# when it came out)...and I have a hard time imagining what they could do to really make any meaningful improvements to it.

I'll look forward to reading about it, but man..what could they do that would warrant a few thousand dollars upgrade?

cayenne

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
The Fat Fish said:
Well it looks like any hope of a new mount for mirrorless is dead.

This (impending) lens announcement has nothing to do with Canon's mount decision for mirrorless.

- A

They might want to announce both of them now so people buy them now and they can announce both of them next year again, but with a new mount ;D

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Here's a rough swag: If FF mirrorless is announced tomorrow and it indeed turns out to have a thinner than EF/EF-S mount...

50% chance you will never see a big lens like a 70-200 2.8 made for it. Only smallish lenses that maximize size savings may get made, and for everything else you crave in mirrorless you will use EF on an adaptor.

50% chance a mirrorless-only 70-200 2.8 gets rolled out. ...five years after mirrorless launched. ...for $3500. ...and it's probably FBW.

Put another way, the likelihood of:

[Probability of mirrorless FF happening imminently] X [Probability it has a thin mount] X [Probability it offers a 70-200 2.8 within 5 years from now] has got to be very low probability.

I appreciate there is a complicated if/then structure in some folks' heads about buying decisions and future-proofing and all that, but a 70-200 2.8 is not an iffy/nuanced/'I wonder' sort of call. If you need one, get this new one. If you don't, don't. I just don't see how mirrorless would steer someone on this class/size of lens.

- A

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that Canon will finally unveil their new 70-200mm lenses with an early June announcement. Yes, that’s plural.</p>
<p>We can 100% confirm that one of the new lenses will be an EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II.</p>
<p>We can also 95% confirm that the second lens will be a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III. All of the tips we’ve seen point to this lens coming, but we haven’t actually seen the “f/2.8L IS III” in writing.</p>
<p>We do not know pricing or when these new 70-200mm lenses will begin shipping.</p>
<p>Please keep in mind that lens announcement dates can change, even at the last minute.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
I think it is safe to say that Canon will not be abandoning the EF mount.

Upvote 0