New Canon 70-200mm Lenses Coming in Early June [CR3]

jolyonralph said:
Is it not more likely that the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (non IS) gets updated? It's a 1995 design compared to the IS II being a 2010 lens.
Doubtful Canon will backpedal to a non IS version now that they have demonstrated that they can achieve a superb IS version. Only a few hundred dollars difference in price and a big loss of functionality.

Upvote 0
I recently got rid of my 70-200 vii and I feel it was a great decision, when you are at 200 you wish you are at 300 or more and when you are at 70 you wish you were wider. It is a great introduction to better glass but it is to short and not wide enough. If you are doing video with a 1.3-1.5 crop then it becomes a far better lens in my opinion. Optically the vii I feel needs no work and I do not get why canon would possibly come out with a viii.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
jolyonralph said:
hendrik-sg said:
The Mp-e 65 isa fantastic lens. It has a buld Quality which newer lenses just can dream of, and used appropriate, it is as sharp as physics allow.

The MPE-65 is no longer in production according to Canon UK, and once stocks run out that's it.

I doubt it's a big enough seller that it would justify a replacement
I think Canon not only has stopped production(may not be discontinued like 50mm Macro) but there are some issues with not having enough parts for repairs either. I think there are couple of threads on this forum and others on interweb with users of this lens being told that repairs are not possible due to shortage of parts.

Upvote 0
MrFotoFool said:
Someone mentioned filter size. I wonder (on the new 2.8 ) if it will go up from 77 to 82? This might be a reason NOT to get it, as my three main lenses (including non_IS 70-200 2.8 ) are all 77 now.

True, but it would also be more consistent with the other f/2.8 zooms at 82mm (16-35 III and 24-70 II). The 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/4 IS and 24-105 f/4 IS II all use 77mm filters, so I'm also wondering if the 70-200 f/4 IS replacement will also use 77mm filters...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
MrFotoFool said:
Someone mentioned filter size. I wonder (on the new 2.8 ) if it will go up from 77 to 82? This might be a reason NOT to get it, as my three main lenses (including non_IS 70-200 2.8 ) are all 77 now.

Could happen. Then all the latest top of the line 16-35 2.8 / 24-70 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 lenses would be 82mm.

- A

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Normalnorm said:
While I have no doubt about the real improvements we may see in the next generation of this lens, I will find it hard to muster enthusiasm for what will be a near $3000 lens if Nikon pricing is any guide.

Or Sony. That's just the going rate for a pro 70-200/2.8 now. If Canon sells it for much cheaper, they're just leaving money on the table.

On the bright side, the II is an excellent lens, and for all the people who want one, a used II will go for another $100-$200 cheaper than the current prices as people who have to have the new color of paint run out and upgrade :D

I will probably upgrade mine; but I will wait for them to go on sale.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Normalnorm said:
While I have no doubt about the real improvements we may see in the next generation of this lens, I will find it hard to muster enthusiasm for what will be a near $3000 lens if Nikon pricing is any guide.

Canon has higher production volumes of these lenses, one would presume, so they often come in under Nikon and Sony's often preposterous initial pricing. Whether they choose to do that or not (i.e. leave money on the table) remains to be seen.

I see this lens -- depending on if there is some exclusive new tech onboard -- dropping in around $2500... which is what I believe the Mk II originally went for.

- A

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
Normalnorm said:

Canon has higher production volumes of these lenses, one would presume, so they often come in under Nikon and Sony's often preposterous initial pricing. Whether they choose to do that or not (i.e. leave money on the table) remains to be seen.

I see this lens -- depending on if there is some exclusive new tech onboard -- dropping in around $2500... which is what I believe the Mk II originally went for.

- A

Maybe he means Canadian dollar -- the Sony/Nikon are about $2,500 USD, and a little over $3k CAD?

The II in Canada retails around CAD $2200 during the Canon lens sales that go on and off for around half the year.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
ethanz said:
tmc784 said:
When is the new Canon DSLR with IBIS coming ? :-\

Next week, GUARANTEED. A doozie OF a camera. CR4

;D

Harry is the guy working on that. Just to let you know, a week after the first rendition the Mark II will be announced.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
te1973 said:
How many versions will they make of this one until they finally make a usable 50mm 1.2 ?

It's difficult to focus correctly on close distances and wide open. Even the contrast AF does it wrong.

All alternatives don't do it for me.

My money is on a 50mm f/1.4L... someday. No f/1.2L, ever.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
hendrik-sg said:
jolyonralph said:
hendrik-sg said:
The Fat Fish said:
Well it looks like any hope of a new mount for mirrorless is dead.

Why "hope" ?

Do you want to have all your existing lenses obsoleted and buy new? Little longer ones to compensate for the shorter flange distance of the new camera??? did you do the math how much this would cost you? i did... :(

You do realise there will be an adaptor for EF glass? Canon won't likely produce EF-M versions of their long EF glass, they'll just let you use the adaptor with it.

Of course i do, just the question is, will we want to have a lens lineup which will have to be adapted for ever or will they make a decission one day, to move mirrorless completely. If so, it will make no sense to build even long lenses with EF mount but to build them for mirrrorless. If not, most lenses need to be EF, except the ones which benefit from shorter flange distance, so the mirrorless will be the niche market with only few native lenses, like EF-M is now.

maybe there will be a conversion service for the more worthfull lenses?

If there is a change in mounts, the new mount will accept EF and whatever the new thing is. Or, maybe Canon will offer a mount change service (doubtful). Personally, I don't think the mount will be a new one. If it is, I wouldn't care. Happy to keep using a DSLR and my current lenses. Heck, the DSLR will never completely go away in our lifetimes. At least not in mine.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
jolyonralph said:
hendrik-sg said:
Of course i do, just the question is, will we want to have a lens lineup which will have to be adapted for ever or will they make a decission one day, to move mirrorless completely.

maybe there will be a conversion service for the more worthfull lenses?

Once they stop selling DSLRs with EF mount then yes, they'll phase out the EF lens range. But even at the most optimistic that'll be five years away, more likely ten, possibly more.

Conversion service? An adaptor and some hot glue? :)

Adapter and hot glue. ;D That's funny Ralph!!!

Upvote 0