New Canon EF-S Wide Angle Prime Announcement Coming April 5

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-next-lens-from-canon-will-be-an-ef-s-prime/">told you back in January</a> that Canon would be announcing a new EF-S prime lens soon.</p>
<p>We now know the lens is expected to be announced on April 5, 2017 in North America and that it is indeed a new wide angle EF-S prime lens.</p>
<p>Unfortunately we’ve been told two different focal length for this lens and we’re trying to confirm which is correct. We’ll let you know as soon as we know. We’re hoping for a lens around 10mm for APS-C cameras (though that’s highly unlikely).</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Hmmm... Do we think wide or ultrawide here? 15mm crop --> 24mm FF equivalent, or a 10mm crop --> 16mm FF equivalent?

Unless Canon wants to build a crop astro kit bundled with a wide prime, I have to wonder who was asking for such a lens versus other (presumably larger) groups like those wanting a 32-ish mm nifty 50 FF equivalent or possibly a lifestyle macro (i.e. food) lens like the EF-M 28mm Macro.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Also, to CR guy -- an isolated lens announcement for crop seems oddly timed. Any chance this might be announced alongside something else that it might go with? The Rebels just got a refresh and an 80D or 7D2 replacement isn't the right timing, so I can't think of anything 'crop-appropriate' off hand... unless it's an 80Da or something, and that seems a reach.

- A

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
ahsanford said:
Also, to CR guy -- an isolated lens announcement for crop seems oddly timed. Any chance this might be announced alongside something else that it might go with? The Rebels just got a refresh and an 80D or 7D2 replacement isn't the right timing, so I can't think of anything 'crop-appropriate' off hand... unless it's an 80Da or something, and that seems a reach.

- A

There is no other DSLR coming in 2017 other than the 6D2 and SL2, we don't have an announcement date on either of those.

Canon in the past has done a camera announcement and then relatively quickly after, a lens announcement. This lens will be good for buyers of the 77D and T7i.

I'll try to get the SL2 announcement date asap.

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
sama said:
May be a 18mm F2.8 STM.
While that's a very pragmatic suggestion, if you consider the Stigma 18-35mm f/1.8 then perhaps 18mm f/2.8 is not optimisitic enough... I would think at least 15mm or 16mm.

Not to mention that the kit lens is already an 18mm f2.8 IS STM.... only have a stop slower and it zooms. But that would be cool still, as a pancake.

I'd hope a lot wider.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I just think about how an average crop user (i.e. next to no one on this forum) sizes up buying a prime and it's a pretty tough sell. Average users don't care that much about gaining a stop or being marginally sharper -- the presumably care much more about large FL ranges their kit zoom doesn't cover, so an UWA zoom or tele zoom would be a much more likely 2nd (or 3rd) lens they'd buy.

But if I had to sell a prime to a soccer mom / hockey dad / vacation photographer, my angle would be:

• Get a massive upgrade to small DOF work for portraiture --> the 50 f/1.8 STM immediately comes to mind as it's over three stops quicker than an 18-55 kit lens on the long end. This is where a prime just mops the floor with a kit zoom.

• Enjoy a macro lens as it unlocks an entire style/form of photography for you --> EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

• Make your rig smaller to tote around --> get a pancake

So I'm a little surprised Canon would go with a WA or UWA prime. Let's say it is in fact a 10mm f/2.8 STM or 15mm f/2.8 STM. Unless it's a pancake for the size-obsessed, what large chunk of the crop community has been lobbying for this? It would only be a stop (or so) faster than two very serviceable UWA crop zooms.

I'm not shooting this new lens down -- hell, I very well might buy it! But I also recognize that I am not the market, so I'm curious where Canon is seeing the interest here.

- A

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
Yaaay! Now this headline made my heart smile... and because of this I've just canceled my ordered lens; the Samyang 10mm 2.8.

Hopefully it is somewhere between 10-15mm... and at least f/2.8. Such a lens might be the perfect "filler" for the gap between my 8-15L and 24IS. I'm so excited. Cannot wait for the official announcement!

Upvote 0