New Canon Lenses-Made In Taiwan

Jul 31, 2018
Canon does manufacture EF lenses also at their Taiwan plant. But for all I know, not L lenses.
Do you have any indication/hints re. EF 70-200/2.8 L IS III or other L glass?

Latest information on topic i can find is a dpreview interview from March 20, 2017 with Canon managers of Utsonomiya plant (Japan) ... they explicitly state that 100% of L (and cinema and broadcast) lenses are (designed and) manufactured there.
while it precedes introduction of EF 70-200/2.8 L IS III, i have not seen any information about it being manufactured elsewhere (eg in Canon's Taiwan plant).
https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/4536277079/canon-lens-factory-interview

What percentage of L lenses are manufactured in the Utsunomiya lens plant?
Because this is the 'mother' factory, 100% of L lenses are made here.

In the recent teardown of EF 70-200/2.8 L IS Mk. II and Mk. III Roger Cicala does not mention anything re. manufacturing plant - but both lenses are identical except for paint (and maybe fluorine coating on front and back lens element).
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...ons-of-the-canon-70-200mm-f2-8-is-ii-and-iii/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Canon does manufacture EF lenses also at their Taiwan plant. But for all in know, not L lenses.

do you have any indication/hints re. EF 70-200/2.8 L IS III or other L glass?

latest information on topic i can find is a dpreview interview from March 20, 2017 with Canon managers of Utsonomiya plant (Japan) ... they explicitly state that 100% of L (and cinema and broadcast) lenses are (designed and) manufactured there.
while it precedes introduction of EF 70-200/2.8 L IS III, i have not seen any information about it being manufactured elsewhere (eg in Canon's Taiwan plant).

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/4536277079/canon-lens-factory-interview

in the recent teardown of EF 70-200/2.8 L IS Mk. II and Mk. III Roger Cicala does not mention anything re. manufacturing plant - but both lenses are identical except for paint (and maybe fluorine coating on front and back lens element).
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...ons-of-the-canon-70-200mm-f2-8-is-ii-and-iii/

I was in Hong Kong last week and a salesman in one of the camera stores there told me that the new Canon EF 70-200 F2.8L IS MK III lens was made in Taiwan. I have a very strong feeling that he told me that because he was trying to sell me the MK II version as he didn't have the MK III version in stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]

In the recent teardown of EF 70-200/2.8 L IS Mk. II and Mk. III Roger Cicala does not mention anything re. manufacturing plant - but both lenses are identical except for paint (and maybe fluorine coating on front and back lens element).

I've seen people reporting that the mkIII focusses a lot faster than the mkII on the R, which makes me wonder if the newly released/refreshed L lenses in the past 6 months or so also have an updated processor in their autofocus module and not just handwaving about coatings.

Anyone with access to an R and both versions of the lens up for an experiment?

Upvote 0
I've seen people reporting that the mkIII focusses a lot faster than the mkII on the R, which makes me wonder if the newly released/refreshed L lenses in the past 6 months or so also have an updated processor in their autofocus module and not just handwaving about coatings.

Anyone with access to an R and both versions of the lens up for an experiment?

Correct me if I'm wrong, when you say", R," you must have meant the new Canon EOS R mirrorless camera? Am I not right? Also, how about in the DLSR cameras, does the MK III also focuses faster than the MK II?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Correct me if I'm wrong, when you say", R," you must have meant the new Canon EOS R mirrorless camera? Am I not right? Also, how about in the DLSR cameras, does the MK III also focuses faster than the MK II?
Thanks.

Yes. the new EOS R mirrorless camera. I haven't read or seen anything about people noticing differences between the II and III besides the things you'd expect with new coatings. Since I have neither the lenses nor the R to test on I can only go on what the internet tells me :)

Upvote 0
I have the 70-200 2.8 IS version 3 but only because I had the non-IS version which I traded in. Obviously if I had the version 2 IS I would not have traded for version 3 since it is nearly identical. It's a stellar lens as to be expected. I just looked at the lens barrel and it says "made in Japan" so that answers that. Though honestly I don't care where it is made as long as it performs well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon has been enlarging their production in Japan and pulling lens manufacturing back in house. I don't that applies to the cheap consumer lenses made in Taiwan, but more to parts and pieces made around the world.

All L and some of the higher end consumer lenses are made in Japan. My 50mm f/2.5 was made in Japan.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
There's no "Mark" or "Mk" in the name of any lens ever produced by Canon. Ever.

"Mark" only appears in the model names of second and subsequent camera bodies in the same series! Bodies! Not lenses!

If a salesman ever referred to a Canon lens as a "Mark II" or "Mark III" anything I'd turn around and walk out because he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
If a salesman ever referred to a Canon lens as a "Mark II" or "Mark III" anything I'd turn around and walk out because he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

Fortunate then that this isn't a Canon dealership!

Seriously of all the battles to fight this one seems the most trivial. There's also no Canon 5D4 or 6D2, but it's all shorthand to make conversations easier and clearer.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Fortunate then that this isn't a Canon dealership!

Seriously of all the battles to fight this one seems the most trivial. There's also no Canon 5D4 or 6D2, but it's all shorthand to make conversations easier and clearer.

5D4 or 6D2 is shorthand for the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV or Canon EOS 6D Mark II, both of which actually exist.

There is no shorthand for a Canon EOS xD1, xD Mk1, or xD Mark I because no such model as a Canon EOS xD Mark I actually exists.

There is also no Canon lens that has ever had 'Mark' in the name.
Nor has there ever been a Canon lens with a Roman Numeral 'I' in the name.

Upvote 0