New diffractive optics super telephoto lenses on the way, with a new twist….. [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’re told that new diffractive optics super telephoto lenses are on the way, but they may not be for the EF mount.
An unknown source has told us that the 600mm f/4 DO IS that Canon showed at the last Canon Expo could be making its way to the RF mount instead of EF. The same source also claims that two additional DO lenses are in the works, and both are likely going to be for the RF mount.
None of these lenses are expected in 2019, but they may be part of the 2020 roadmap.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Last edited:
If that is the case, then we can surely expect a 1D-level EOS R body very shortly. It would also imply that Canon intend the EF-RF transition period to be much shorter than a lot of people have anticipated. Other than removing the need to use an adaptor, I can't see that an RF mount version of this lens would offer any substantial advantages over an EF mount version.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
It is only natural that Canon (as the other companies) will try to widen the range of lenses for their new R series. As they did in the days when they introduced the EF series. It is part of the shift to mirror-less cameras, and it is a matter of time until they will abandon the EF line all together. They are not likely to do that before they will manage to create a R camera that will be able to really face to face the 1D capabilities. As it took them some time to stop manufacturing the EOS1 while the digital era had matured, so will be with the mirror-less. They eventually will take over cause they have few advantages (no mirror, closer rear side to the sensor, and that ring that they placed that allows you to change one more parameter easily).

Upvote 0
I own a 600 f4 v2 and a 300 2.8v2, the new offerings give me nothing that I don’t already have, if a 600do comes out those of us with version 2’s and 3’s of the telephotos will not be rushing out to get rid of or replace our gear. Sure a couple pounds lighter might be nice, but put yourself on a diet and you just shaved a few pounds off. It always fascinates me when people talk about weight of a lens and camera and talk about a few pounds being heavy. I mean are you really that weak or just that much of a bourgeoisie? I know we all love tech but guess what, tech doesn’t always matter, a t5i and a 100-400 in the right hands will yield better results that a 1d and a 600 in the rookies hands. Yes this is a bit of a negative rant which a few will read but, at the end of the day I and many professionals will not be trading out our 1ds for a long time. If camera history has taught us anything the first few cycles of new bodies are not worth purchasing. I’ll take a heavier and more ergonomic friendly 1d series of that trash eosr with a ring on a lens and no joystick and one turn wheel and a apple Touch Bar and some goofy button layout any day. I love canon and I have given them lots of money and there are many DSLR users like me that will use the DSLR setup for many years to come. DSLR death will not be fast, and why replace what is near perfection. End of my rant

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I own a 600 f4 v2 and a 300 2.8v2, the new offerings give me nothing that I don’t already have, if a 600do comes out those of us with version 2’s and 3’s of the telephotos will not be rushing out to get rid of or replace our gear. Sure a couple pounds lighter might be nice, but put yourself on a diet and you just shaved a few pounds off. It always fascinates me when people talk about weight of a lens and camera and talk about a few pounds being heavy. I mean are you really that weak or just that much of a bourgeoisie? I know we all love tech but guess what, tech doesn’t always matter, a t5i and a 100-400 in the right hands will yield better results that a 1d and a 600 in the rookies hands. Yes this is a bit of a negative rant which a few will read but, at the end of the day I and many professionals will not be trading out our 1ds for a long time. If camera history has taught us anything the first few cycles of new bodies are not worth purchasing. I’ll take a heavier and more ergonomic friendly 1d series of that trash eosr with a ring on a lens and no joystick and one turn wheel and a apple Touch Bar and some goofy button layout any day. I love canon and I have given them lots of money and there are many DSLR users like me that will use the DSLR setup for many years to come. DSLR death will not be fast, and why replace what is near perfection. End of my rant
First of all I agree about this not being DSLR death and ergonomy is better with DSLRs. I also prefer them to this first iteration.

But weight is very important for me when I have to walk instead of using the car. So If I had a 600 f4 v2 I would trade it for 600 f4 v3 to shave off about 0.9Kg. I have both the 500 f4 II and 400 4 DO II. Even to use the 500 I have to have a Car or tripod. I can walk and shoot handheld (even for many hours) only with the 400 DO II. So for me the v2 to v3 (for tele EF lenses) would help me if it involved alot of weight reduction. Maybe not 0.9Kg for the 500 but I would welcome say a 0.6Kg (with a change of center of weight close to the body just like the 600 v3). This would take it to the region of the 400 DO and it would be fantastic. Add DO technology and the result would be an even lighter lens. True other people can cope with weight way better than me but I mentioned my wish :)

P.S Add to the fact that there is no EOS R at 50Mpixel yet so these hypothetical DO lenses wouldn't offer a benefit.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
This is very good news, as it indicates that Canon anticipates fixing its frames per second issue. It would be pretty useless to launch these lenses with a set of bodies that only had a few frames per second.

If true, this suggests that the go – slow approach we see today is largely due to the fact that there are not a lot of the new lens mount lenses. Once they flesh out those lenses a bit, it looks like the manufacturer is going to get pretty aggressive about pushing people to the new mount.

All that said, we do not see a reliable history of rumors showing up this early having a high accuracy rate.

Upvote 0
The current super tele's are mostly air on the back end so It's hard to see what the benefit would be. I'd prefer an interchangeable bolt on mount than could be either native EF or RF but I don't expect that to happen. That being said, I don't think adapters are a good long term solution for the larger tele's so Canon will have to come up with some sort of native RF solution sooner rather than later if they intend to sell a lot of mirrorless sports/wildlife cameras. Big cameras and lenses put a lot of strain on the mount. A EF/RF converter coupled to a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter and you are starting dealing with a lot of strain/flex at the mount. Not the sort of thing you want to be worried about when you are trying to get out of the way of a 320lb defensive back who missed a sideline tackle.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Not so fast everyone. I for one although against the first iteration of mirrorless cameras would welcome DO lenses.

But, and there is a big but, we have to see if Canon can reduce the weight in relation to the new version III teles. The new 600 III weighs 3.05Kg and I would like
to remind you that the 600mm DO f/4 prototype introduced about 2 years ago weighted 3.2Kg!

So they must be able to go significantly lower than 3.05Kg for a 600 DO III to offer something useful.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0