New DSLR and PowerShots in May [CR2]

maybe there will be a software upgrade announcement for the current 7d. Maybe this amazing upgrade will cost 300$ and give us the security, that no 3rd party batteries are used.... as a special goody it may contain a lens correction profile for the 18-55 STM lens

The higly anticipated lens announcement may be an 18-55 ii STM lens, which optically matches the layout of the software upgrade, with a perfectly weather sealed AF swich, printed on the lens in premium white and cant be switched unwanted

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
dufflover said:
Has there ever been a 7DII release-date related rumour at the CR2 level? (but as they say, sooner or later, it'll eventually be true lol)

I'm not sure if there has been, but note that this one is not. It's a CR2 rumor of a new dSLR, and "the assumption is" (presumably CRguy's assumption) that it will be the 7DII. Personally, I agree with the sentiments above that it will be a new Rebel/xxxD body (assuming one is announced at all).

If you go by the fact that the 7D is old, outdated, and the 70D gives you a better (arguably) camera for a lower price and is killing 7D sales, then the 7D2 would have to be the next update.... but you can't forget that the Rebels are the vast bulk of Canon DSLR sales and that an updated ( even very minor) Rebel will have far more impact on the bottom line than the 7D2 will have...

Despite my almost delusional desire for a 7D2, to me it makes sense that the next camera will be a new Rebel.... after all, the T5i is a year old and overdue for a replacement.....

Unfortunately, I agree. It's a Rebel... New Rebels are released every year around this time...

Upvote 0

tntwit

Enthusiastic Amateur
Mar 3, 2012
WNY
Frankly, I think they need a new Rebel.

The T4i was well received, but that was 2 years ago. The T5i was largely considered a rebadged T4i and was NOT well received because of it.

To most, the T5i is a 2 year old design. Looking at what Nikon has to offer, at least on paper, their entry level cameras look more appealing. I believe they all (at least the current versions of each series) have wifi and (for what it's worth) auto focus in video, which the T3i does not (not sure about the T5).

Since these are the models that sell in the highest volume and they are a gateway product, they need to be kept fresh and competitive.

I think the T6i needs dual pixel and wifi, which will in my opinion, make it class leading. This doesn't seem like a stretch for the next Rebel, but we'll see. I don't think anybody expected the T5i was going to offer so little over the T4i.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
SwampYankee said:
dufflover said:
Has there ever been a 7DII release-date related rumour at the CR2 level? (but as they say, sooner or later, it'll eventually be true lol)

Hold on there partner......nobody said anything about a release date. This is just the announcement. nobody said anything about release dates...... :) :) :) :)

"Announcement"??

Upvote 0
Apr 16, 2013
Don Haines said:
expatinasia said:
bseitz234 said:
I'm off to shoot the sunrise with my 5 year old camera body, then blow my canon budget on a road bike. Have fun!

Buying a good road bike is possibly even more of a challenge than getting a good camera, there are just so many options!! ;)

Are you going to get a CANONdale road bike?

lol omg, this killed me

Upvote 0
My "cristal ball" told me, that the first realistic announcement will be around the photokina-time.
There were (maybe still are) around 2 prototypes in the wild @ the olympics and there ist still no final conclusion about which body will be final.

And the same person thinks that other brands like nikon will be faster than Canon @ replacing their crop highend slr.
Maybe Sony announces an fast SLR in 2014 too.

Maybe he read his tealeaves right.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
expatinasia said:
bseitz234 said:
I'm off to shoot the sunrise with my 5 year old camera body, then blow my canon budget on a road bike. Have fun!

Buying a good road bike is possibly even more of a challenge than getting a good camera, there are just so many options!! ;)

Are you going to get a CANONdale road bike?

;D ;D ;D

Is that the one with 40 MP (miles per hour)

Upvote 0
dufflover said:

Actually there was a CR3 from Canon themselves about the 7D2 release date.... but it has proved to be semi-wrong. (they said no 7D2 for late 2012 or early 2013, but yes for a 7D2 eventually with late 2013 expected)

Upvote 0
KT said:
hoodlum said:
Isn't it amazing how they coordinate so well with each other, the 1Dx and D4, 5D III and D800 and now 7DII and D9300, all coming within weeks of each other
Will Canon and Nikon only pretend to compete, but actually make agreements to launch their equivalent models at the same time? ??? They act together to maintain the duopoly, as two teams take turns so that only they win the championship every year? ::) Conspiracy theory. :p

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
ajfotofilmagem said:
KT said:
hoodlum said:
Isn't it amazing how they coordinate so well with each other, the 1Dx and D4, 5D III and D800 and now 7DII and D9300, all coming within weeks of each other
Will Canon and Nikon only pretend to compete, but actually make agreements to launch their equivalent models at the same time? ??? They act together to maintain the duopoly, as two teams take turns so that only they win the championship every year? ::) Conspiracy theory. :p

Jokes apart, there is much truth, imho, that until Nikon releases their D300s successor (whatever the number) or until Canon gets a solid lead that Nikon are about to do it, there's little incentive for Canon to release a 7D (whatever the name) successor. A Sony A77 successor might be a good reason but, given Sony's numbers in this segment, I'm not so sure it'd be enough.

I agree with many here that a new Rebel is more likely. I'd love to be surprised of course :)

I would certainly hope that Canon would release a new sensor within the 7D mkII

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
roby17269 said:
I would certainly hope that Canon would release a new sensor within the 7D mkII

Given the (albeit limited) history of the 7D line I think that is quite likely the delay for the 7DII. Canon have now manoeuvred the xxD line into a position to allow for a higher end aps-c model that will be twice as expensive as the xxD yet sit just under the cheapest of the FF models. So the delay indicates to me that we are waiting for the new sensor to go with it.

I wouldn't read too much into the replacement of the 300D. Nikon were never able to meet the 7D head on for what ever reason(s). However their continuation with the model has certainly given Canon more sea room for developing the 7DII - and the 7DII is definitely coming because otherwise Canon would not have given the recent models of the xxD line castrated EOS controls.

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
You know what? Living in the US and dealing with both phone/internet/tv/cell carriers . . . I'm surprisingly okay if that's the case. So long as there's no price-fixing involved, go for it ;D

I'm getting tired of the 'free market' in the US that has equated for so long to the customer being shafted.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Sporgon said:
I wouldn't read too much into the replacement of the 300D. Nikon were never able to meet the 7D head on for what ever reason(s). However their continuation with the model has certainly given Canon more sea room for developing the 7DII - and the 7DII is definitely coming because otherwise Canon would not have given the recent models of the xxD line castrated EOS controls.

Canon is sensitive to what Nikon does. Otherwise we wouldn't have such things as 1D AF in the 5D series...

You also write "the 7DII is definitely coming"... I will believe it when it will be officially announced by Canon. I do hope it will come but so far I don't think that there's any solid evidence that this is the case

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Chaitanya said:
Lightmaster said:
Chaitanya said:
Lightmaster said:
Chaitanya said:
I believe next Slr will be a eos rebel/kiss/xxx series camera to replace the eos 700d. 7d replacement might come at photokina. also any word on when will canon replace ef 50mm macro? that is the oldest lens in canon line-up and needs to be replaced soon.

one of the oldest. :)
the 135mm f2.8 soft focus is from 1987 (october) if im not wrong.
and it´s still listed.

not that i need a refresh of that lens....

the 50mm f2.5 macro is from december 1987.

completely forgot about the 135mm soft-focus. although last time I talked with a canon dealer in India, I was told 135 soft focus is not available anymore in stock. probably that lens has been discontinued. even adorama doesnt have that lens listed on their site.

if you want it give me a call. it´s available here in germany. ;)

I dont want it, but a friend of mine was looking for one couple of months back. he bought a used one as new 135 soft focus were not available. In India people are dumping used cameras and lenses at crazy prices just two days back saw an advert for a used 5D mk3, seller was asking for just 95000INR(Divide by 60 for usd). even there is a used 7d with 400 f5.6l for 1,10,000 INR.

Don't trust these deals. Most of the are scams through and through with sellers located offshore. Personally. I buy used stuff only if I can personally meet the seller, inspect the gear & documents, pay cash and walk out with the gear.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told to finally expect some significant camera announcements from Canon in May. There will be a couple of PowerShot’s announced, most notably the SX60 IS and its 100x zoom, as well as a DSLR. The assumption on the DSLR is that it will be the follow-up to the EOS 7D.</p>

So, today or tomorrow, right? :eek:

Upvote 0