New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
For the second time in the last couple of months, we’re being told that a new DSLR series will be announced some time in 2018. Neither source could name the series, only that it appeared as a “new DSLR series” in a presentation.</p>
<p>If we’re thinking out loud, I think these would be the obvious candidates.</p>

<ul>
<li>EOS Cinema DSLR
<ul>
<li><em>A cinema DSLR camera to replace the discontinued EOS-1D C. This has been talked about numerous times over the years.</em></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>EOS-1D Xs
<ul>
<li><em>A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III. </em></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>EOS APS-C Cinema DSLR
<ul>
<li><em>A cheaper 4K cinema alternative that would “protect” the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras.</em></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
<p>Hopefully this will bring a bit more information to the surface. For the moment, this is a <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-rumors-rating-system-explained/">[CR1]</a> rumor, so please treat it as such.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Canon Rumors said:
For the second time in the last couple of months, we’re being told that a new DSLR series will be announced some time in 2018.
Neither source could name the series, only that it appeared as a “new DSLR series” in a presentation.
If we’re thinking out loud, I think these would be the obvious candidates.
EOS Cinema DSLR - A cinema DSLR camera to replace the discontinued EOS-1D C. This has been talked about numerous times over the years.
EOS-1D Xs - A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.
EOS APS-C Cinema DSLR - A cheaper 4K cinema alternative that would “protect” the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras.
Hopefully this will bring a bit more information to the surface. For the moment, this is a [CR1] rumor, so please treat it as such.

...and maybe a Full Frame Mirrorless.

Some think that the EOS numbering has recently become stable ad predictable even for the M series.

No complete overlap between DSLRs and Mirrorless, but it could sound like:
100D/200D in Europe (SL1/2 in other Countries) and EOS M100: basic and small models
6D and M6: enthusiast models
5D and M5: more advanced models
Therefore, I expect to see a M1 (full frame mirrorless) as ambitious as a 1D(x).
We'll see.

Upvote 0

Andreasb

CR Pro
Mar 24, 2017
Another option would be an AP-C body with a built in grip, all of us serious birders would be so very happy with that as a replacement for the 7DMKII.

24mp AP-C, better DR, 12-14 fps, 1dX II like AF or better, better buffer and CFast cards. Would be just what I would like. Although unlikely, better high ISO performance as well would be nice.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
  • EOS-1D Xs - A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.

This one would get my $$$$.

It wouldn't get my dollars, but it surely would get my vote of being the most likely. Folks prepared to spend $6k on a great new body now have a choice of a 1-series feature set OR a high resolution sensor. Canon is leaving money on the table here.

Also, a '7DC' crop rig with 4K seems a little silly as I'd 100% expect a 7D3 and 90D to get 4K anyway, right?

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
  • EOS-1D Xs - A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.

Me too. Having been a 1DS MkIII user for years I'd love a true update. Indeed I'd happily sell my two 1DX MkII's for a single 1DXS.

Dual CFast slots only though please!

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
JohanCruyff said:
Canon Rumors said:
For the second time in the last couple of months, we’re being told that a new DSLR series will be announced some time in 2018.
Neither source could name the series, only that it appeared as a “new DSLR series” in a presentation.
EOS Cinema DSLR - A cinema DSLR camera to replace the discontinued EOS-1D C. This has been talked about numerous times over the years.
EOS-1D Xs - A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.
EOS APS-C Cinema DSLR - A cheaper 4K cinema alternative that would “protect” the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras.
Hopefully this will bring a bit more information to the surface. For the moment, this is a [CR1] rumor, so please treat it as such.

Some think that the EOS numbering has recently become stable ad predictable even for the M series.

100D/200D in Europe (SL1/2 in other Countries) and EOS M100: basic and small models
Therefore, I expect to see a M1 (full frame mirrorless) as ambitious as a 1D(x).
We'll see.
Yes, a camera with DPAF/EVF, something to compete with Sony A99

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
JohanCruyff said:

We'll see.

Agreed.

Seems odd that many are hurtling toward MILCs (Nikon included) and Canon is just going to stand still with their DSLRs? Doesn't sound likely to me.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
AJ said:
JohanCruyff said:
Canon Rumors said:

We'll see.

Ummm...cough....a DSLR won't be "mirrorless"....almost by definition, it will have a mirror.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

I am on the 1Ds bandwagon. And there is a chance they'd get my money. I wouldn't need 14 fps, but if they get 10-12 fps, ~30 MP, plus the other 1D goodies....

I'd think about it.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AJ said:

Sorry, but Canon has a hard enough time paying attention to Nikon, let alone Sony; Canon does not give two farts about the sales of a Sony SLT system.

Canon is not going to put out a FF mirrorless rig to compete with anything other than their own FF SLRs.

Also, regardless of who they are competing with, a A99-like 42 MP x 12 fps supercar of a mirrorless rig is also unlikely. I fully expect Canon's first FF mirrorless to look 6D2-like and not A99-II like. They will start from the bottom of the FF food chain, establish credibility with a (relatively underwhelmingly spec'd) basic body that performs well with well thought out controls/ergonomics/menus, and then walk up the line with higher-spec'd stuff over time. Just like they did with EOS M.

This, of course, presumes that Canon's first FF mirrorless rig has detachable lenses at all, which may not happen. A fixed-lens RX1 / Leica Q style rig might be their first attempt.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
j-nord said:
5DSR replacement that competes more directly with the D850? Move the 5DIV more to the middle of the road "all rounder" position where it belongs. Mirrorless or not IDK. In this case, not a 1 series body.

Canon doesn't segment it's markets like Nikon does.

Canon is good (6D line), all-arounder (5D line) and high detail (5DS line).
Nikon is good / better / best.

For Canon to re-jigger it's market segments to compete on Nikon's terms is a point to Nikon. It would show weakness, lack of identity, desire to follow and not lead, etc. Canon should 100% stick to its guns with its current non-gripped FF line. (I still contend they need a 1DXs on the gripped side, though.)

So to to jam 4K + higher fps on a 5DS2 isn't what Canon's after. They are more likely to maintain that rig's fps and reach for yet more detail, say a 75 MP x 5 fps rig, or 60 x 6, etc. (something like that).

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
docsmith said:
I am on the 1Ds bandwagon. And there is a chance they'd get my money. I wouldn't need 14 fps, but if they get 10-12 fps, ~30 MP, plus the other 1D goodies....

I'd think about it.

I don't see a '1DXs' being a gripped 5D4. I see it being a gripped (future) 5DS2 with highest possible resolution.

- A

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
privatebydesign said:
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:

Me too. Having been a 1DS MkIII user for years I'd love a true update. Indeed I'd happily sell my two 1DX MkII's for a single 1DXS.

Dual CFast slots only though please!

I think you just explained why Canon might not do this.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon Rumors said:
A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.

I guess I don't understand this. It seems to me the 1DxII is pretty much an exact replacement for the 1Ds III. Now, if you are talking about the 1D IV...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Since this is CR-1 it is fun to speculate about what this mystery camera might be.

7Dx – Integrated grip 7D with CFast slot, 16 fps, good high ISO performance, full touch-screen, built to 1D standards, basic editing in-camera and intuitive wifi interface.

8D – Lowest-priced full-frame camera on the market. Essentially, a re-packaged 6D retailing for $1,000-1,400 at introduction.

80c - 4K cinema 80D with 80D's flip screen and headphone jack, CFast slot, along with cinema quality feature set (I'm not a video person so don't know what all that would entail.)

Curious what others might suggest.

Upvote 0