New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]

Jan 29, 2011
unfocused said:
Canon Rumors said:
A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.

I guess I don't understand this. It seems to me the 1DxII is pretty much an exact replacement for the 1Ds III. Now, if you are talking about the 1D IV...

It is and that is why I swapped mine out.

But customers expect ever more nowadays and 20MP is marginal for delivery for some work. I'm not sure what MP I do actually want, and I might be happier with a 1DX MkII at 20MP and a 5DSR MkII at 50-60MP rather than a 1DXS at 30-45MP.

I absolutely don't want 80-120MP and will not buy a camera with that sort of pixel count.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
privatebydesign said:
Me too. Having been a 1DS MkIII user for years I'd love a true update. Indeed I'd happily sell my two 1DX MkII's for a single 1DXS.

Dual CFast slots only though please!

I think you just explained why Canon might not do this.

Hence my other comment about not making this 1DXs a 'porridge is just right' gripped 5D4:

ahsanford said:
I don't see a '1DXs' being a gripped 5D4. I see it being a gripped (future) 5DS2 with highest possible resolution.

If they do different jobs, one doesn't replace the other. Heck, you might own one of each -- photojournos, sports, wildlife, etc. would go with the 1DX line and studio, landscape, product, fashion, etc. would go with the 1DXs.

If Canon specializes what the rig is for, segmentation sorts itself out and same-tiered lines aren't vying for the same business.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
Since this is CR-1 it is fun to speculate about what this mystery camera might be.

7Dx – Integrated grip 7D with CFast slot, 16 fps, good high ISO performance, full touch-screen, built to 1D standards, basic editing in-camera and intuitive wifi interface.

8D – Lowest-priced full-frame camera on the market. Essentially, a re-packaged 6D retailing for $1,000-1,400 at introduction.

80c - 4K cinema 80D with 80D's flip screen and headphone jack, CFast slot, along with cinema quality feature set (I'm not a video person so don't know what all that would entail.)

Curious what others might suggest.

+1 on the 80C, though Canon might just call it the 90D. ;) In fairness, I am a idiot with video, so I see DPAF + tilty-flippy + touch and say "Let's make a movie!" like some knuckle-headed 80s dad with a camcorder. (I equate enthusiast video tech with 'cinema' and that's clearly a miss. Are real cine folks out there using video AF at all?)

7Dx is a fantasy 'crop 1DX2' for only the most demanding birder/wildlifers. Canon would have to sell it for $3k to make a dime off of it, so I don't see it happening.

If there's a new segment in non-gripped FF... I'd probably say a dedicated cinema 5D -- low low pixel count like an A7S II, 4K without much (if any) crop, tilty-flippy or slick monitor setup, eyepiece/loupe options, shoulder/gimbal options, etc.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Woody said:
Seems odd that many are hurtling toward MILCs (Nikon included) and Canon is just going to stand still with their DSLRs? Doesn't sound likely to me.

Perhaps you have failed to notice that Canon is the #1 overall ILC manufacturer in global sales (for 15 years and counting), the #1 dSLR manufacturer (for that same 15+ years), and in the five years since the launch of the EOS M, Canon has gone from zero MILC sales to being the #2 MILC manufacturer globally.

How, exactly, does that constitute 'standing still'?

Upvote 0
this is horrible news. The more series Canon announces, the more watered down the current cameras will get.... I thought the 6D mark II and the 5D mark IV were pretty weak compared to their competitions OLDER cameras, now this is a sign that they may get weaker in the future. My last hope is that the 7D mark III will be a solid camera!

Upvote 0
The options:

1Dxs - the 250 megapixels monster as expensive as the 1dxmk2

7Dx: very high speed (16-18 fps), low mp, decent at high iso, same AF performace as the 1dxmk2 with integrated grip,but with AF that cover all the frame. Basically a faster option than the 1dxmk2 for someone who wants a good reach: wildlife,...

80Dc - an APS-C specially tailored for 4K video, a GH5 killer.
80Ds - a high resolution 80D (40 megapixels ???) with no low pass filter and optimized for DR at low iso. Max iso 800. ;)

9D/8D - a budget ff, basically a 6D but with the old 12 mp 5D classic sensor.

a 888D - another entry level Rebel

My bet is on the 888D. ;D

Upvote 0
Not sure what need there is photography-wise for another offering...so I'd love to see more competitive video-centric DSLR from canon. A 5Dc or 80Dc or 1dC mark II. However, I'm not sure if this would agree with Canon's strategy though. They really don't want to offer great video & photo features in the same body. And a limited record time would be an immediate deal-breaker.

Which means those not able to afford the cinema line have to to choose between stills cameras with crappy video, or camcorders with fixed lenses that don't offer comparable flexibility to having an EF mount. This is where Sony and Panasonic are pulling ahead - their stills cameras really do offer amazing video + flexibility. I think Canon has an opportunity to continue divorcing stills cameras from video features, but while offering more compelling products at a lower price point. Something like the following:

C50 - EF mount and APS-C/Super-35 sensor. Small compact, maybe one ND stage (3 or 4 stop), 4k recording, no record time limits, XC15 audio attachment compatible, C-Log, no photo abilities. $2500 - $3000. Basically a B or C cam to C100s/C200s or a compelling alternative to a GH5 or A7s II....many, many people are buying those cams and never touching the photo features...

XC25 - Essentially a XC15, but with an APS-C sensor. Solves the low-light issues and allows smaller DOF. 24-200mm built-in variable aperture lens would be perfect. Very basic photo abilities. Also $2500 - $3000

Speaking as somebody who uses an XC10 as a C cam to a pair of C100s for weddings, I LOVE how easy it is to setup and use, and portability is fantastic. It's great not having to worry about throwing on a lens and the little space it takes up in my bag is paramount. But darker churches & receptions create problems for it and would quickly replace it with any of the possibilities above. A DSLR with a limited record time just isn't an option.

P.S. Maybe Canon's mirrorless strategy will marry great photo & video features? Hope so.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The3o5FlyGuy said:
this is horrible news. The more series Canon announces, the more watered down the current cameras will get.... I thought the 6D mark II and the 5D mark IV were pretty weak compared to their competitions OLDER cameras, now this is a sign that they may get weaker in the future. My last hope is that the 7D mark III will be a solid camera!

[Quality / reliability] + [size and scale of offerings] go a very long ways to getting and maintaining business for Canon.

Consider: My watered down 5D3 has let me down exactly zero times in five years of service. That's not because I have low expectations of DR, FPS, MP count, etc. or that I'm blind to what others are offering. It's because what I do value -- options, intuitiveness and things that reliably work well -- is what it delivers.

- A

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
j-nord said:
5DSR replacement that competes more directly with the D850? Move the 5DIV more to the middle of the road "all rounder" position where it belongs. Mirrorless or not IDK. In this case, not a 1 series body.

+1. I like the formfactor. Weight is a concern. I did some hiking to Panorama Ridge the other day with 24-70 II 2.8 and tripod. For me this setup was the limit. Every pound counts, as a tent and water plus other stuff had also be transported. A 1D body would be even heavier and I would not like that one for landscapes in the backcountry. So 5dsr II all the way with the expected improvements in ISO and dynamic range. No more megapixel. The 24-70 II has already its weaknesses in the corners and to worsen this even further would not be a good thing.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

What would be soooo cool would be a hybrid DSLR / Mirrorless camera.

The problem with mirrorless is the delay as you pan, refocus or zoom plus the poorer picture quality - until we have retina-quality instantly-available pictures in the viewfinder which are indistinguishable from reality, many people will prefer, err, reality.

BUT - until such times, "augmented reality" would be wonderful. By that I mean that you can flip into Live View mode but within the viewfinder - especially if you could zoom in to check focus - great for reviewing things like DOF and exposure on sunny days when Live View on the back of the screen is useless. Coupled with Zebras and focus peaking this would be truly awesome.

I've read on this site that Canon have been trying to develop some sort of hybrid capability : if they could put this into a 5D-iv or 6D-ii spec machine I think they would suddenly find themselves the talk of the town for the right reasons again ... and we would all stop wondering if the year will inevitably come when we have to jump to Sony or Nikon as our cameras are looking severely out of date.

Whilst I totally appreciate everyone's posts along the lines of "you have a great camera just get out there and take pictures" ... I personally wouldn't want to swap my latest generation cameras for stuff which is 5 years old ... it seems to fix a lot of problems with the user - I'm not a pro just an enthusiast who could do with some help on the way - lots of FPS, great autofocus, great low light, in-body stabilization and a future hybrid OVF/EFT decent preview capability are all thumbs up from me - especially as my eyesight and steady hand deteriorate !

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
rjbray01 said:
What would be soooo cool would be a hybrid DSLR / Mirrorless camera.

So, in this case, it's less a mirrorless camera than it is an SLR that you can choose to flip the mirror up and pipe EVF (LiveView) content to the same eyepiece somehow?

I'm not saying that will happen, but I'd certainly find it useful:

• Top of the list: I'd be able to use manual focus lenses for jobs other than tripod landscapes and macro. I could magnify and/or focus peak some nice Zeiss glass while still holding the body comfortably/stably up to my eye.

• We could amplify light in dark rooms (again, held up to one's eye and not held 6-12" away like it were iPad photography)

• By relying on DPAF in the EVF mode, we'd unlock a ton more spread / real estate that the AF could cover.

I'm not sure Canon is going to go this route, however -- it's presently not where the market is. To my knowledge, only the (rangefinder-like) Fuji X-Pro line does this, and it's hardly their most popular rig. Most everyone else is all-in on just an EVF as it eliminates the mirror and lets you offer a thinner body. Canon will likely do the same.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
traveller said:
What strange times, a new series of DSLR is rumoured and nobody seems to have suggested "EOS 3D with eye control focusing!' ;)

The 5D series is the spiritual and practical replacement for the highly regarded EOS3, there is no '3D' expectation now and hasn't been since the second tier FF model range matured, I think most would say that was the 5D MkIII.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
traveller said:
What strange times, a new series of DSLR is rumoured and nobody seems to have suggested "EOS 3D with eye control focusing!' ;)

I'm actually more surprised we haven't gotten more APS-H catcalls out of this rumor. Birders might see APS-H as the only way they'll get reach + an integrated grip ever again. (I just don't see a 7Dx with an integral grip ever happening.)

- A

Upvote 0
Interesting! Refreshing lenses this year, next year maybe bodies, eh?

"M16" would imply AF w/alacrity & FPS w/celerity, but mostly I would like to see some sort of card standard before ponying up the $ for new bodies. I don't care what it is, but would like some sort of standard as my collection of Lexar CF cards is getting long of tooth(fortunately, only 1 failure in 10 years).

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
traveller said:

The 5D series is the spiritual and practical replacement for the highly regarded EOS3, there is no '3D' expectation now and hasn't been since the second tier FF model range matured, I think most would say that was the 5D MkIII.

It only ever was a hobby horse for people to pin their wildest fantasies upon. From what I see written on this thread, the 3D is reborn.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
ahsanford said:
docsmith said:
I am on the 1Ds bandwagon. And there is a chance they'd get my money. I wouldn't need 14 fps, but if they get 10-12 fps, ~30 MP, plus the other 1D goodies....

I'd think about it.

I don't see a '1DXs' being a gripped 5D4. I see it being a gripped (future) 5DS2 with highest possible resolution.

- A

That is equally as possible. But, with fewer MP, they would have an easier time keeping fps high. Then you would have 1D goodies, form factor, and fps to differentiate it from 5DIV. With too many MP, the throughput would be too high for many fps, and you lose fps as a differentiator between 1D and 5D versions. Granted, maybe they could have ~8 fps in the 1D version and stay with 5 fps in the 5D version. Difference, yes, worth $3k...not to me.

But, how about a compromise, 5Ds(r) II at ~60 MP, 1DXS (r) at ~40 MP. Then Canon has a 5D or 1D camera in the 20, 30, 40, and ~60 MP range.

That said, if we are speculating, how about the first DSLR including the bending sensor? We've seen the patents. I'd expect it in a smaller/less important camera first, so this would fit with an 8D or something.

Upvote 0
M_S said:
j-nord said:
5DSR replacement that competes more directly with the D850? Move the 5DIV more to the middle of the road "all rounder" position where it belongs. Mirrorless or not IDK. In this case, not a 1 series body.

+1. I like the formfactor. Weight is a concern. I did some hiking to Panorama Ridge the other day with 24-70 II 2.8 and tripod. For me this setup was the limit. Every pound counts, as a tent and water plus other stuff had also be transported. A 1D body would be even heavier and I would not like that one for landscapes in the backcountry. So 5dsr II all the way with the expected improvements in ISO and dynamic range. No more megapixel. The 24-70 II has already its weaknesses in the corners and to worsen this even further would not be a good thing.

I agree - I would love to see the 5D SR stay in the same form factor for weight reasons. I just hiked the slims valley in the Yukon (including observation mountain) with a tripod, 5D IV, 24-105, 16-35 f4, 70-200 f2.8 ii, and Rokinon 14mm for that 65km hike (read absolutely no consideration for weight) and let's just say that my pack will be A LOT lighter next time. Lesson learned - hopefully I remember it next time I pack!

Upvote 0