New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]

joemonek said:
Canon Rumors said:
For the second time in the last couple of months, we’re being told that a new DSLR series will be announced some time in 2018. Neither source could name the series, only that it appeared as a “new DSLR series” in a presentation.</p>
<p>If we’re thinking out loud, I think these would be the obvious candidates.</p>

<ul>
<li>EOS Cinema DSLR
<ul>
<li><em>A cinema DSLR camera to replace the discontinued EOS-1D C. This has been talked about numerous times over the years.</em></li>EOS 1V
</ul>
</li>
<li>EOS-1D Xs
<ul>
<li><em>A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III. </em></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>EOS APS-C Cinema DSLR
<ul>
<li><em>A cheaper 4K cinema alternative that would “protect” the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras.</em></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
<p>Hopefully this will bring a bit more information to the surface. For the moment, this is a <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-rumors-rating-system-explained/">[CR1]</a> rumor, so please treat it as such.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

HINT: try using the 'Preview' function before you hit 'Post'. You can then see what your post will look like, which can be useful when you are using quotes, lists etc. As your post is right now, we have to decipher which bit is yours! ;)

ALSO: If you are quoting 'Canon Rumors'(i.e. Admin) don't try to modify his text, as I believe it is HTML, not the same as the system you are using in 'Post Reply' and you'll end up with a total mess!

Upvote 0
I read the rumor to indicate there was a new "series," not just a new camera. Taking that literally, I doubt this means anything on the low end, as we've been inundated with Canon market segmentation on that side of the market. I still don't know what the he|| a 77d is supposed to be in terms of a series reference.

The obvious problem Canon has with its lineup is that it has relatively recently released its major bodies (1dx2, 5d4, 6d2) yet these don't appear set to age well relative to all of the other cameras coming out now and in the next 3-4 years of the refresh cycle.

This means that it will need a higher-end series introduction. This will allow it to lower the prices of the 5 and 6 series, making them reasonable offerings versus the competition.

My guess: a 1 or 5 series resolution monster. That they plan on calling this a new series, suggests it would be the part of the 1 lineup, as the 5dsr refresh won't qualify as a new series.

Upvote 0
Does a medium format Canon DSLR make sense here? We have seen other manufacturers like Fuji and Pentax targeting this already. A very high megapixel full-frame sensor has its disadvantages (e.g. diffraction, noise ceiling, etc.) and limited by the resolving power of the lens used.
In its pro line, Canon has 1D for sports, wild-life and journalism; and then 5D for events and all-rounder use. Currently there is no dedicated camera in Canon arsenal for studio work (portraiture, product, still life and even still macro and architecture photography). 5DSr is currently designated to be used in this segment. I guess Canon can make a medium-format DSLR which can have insanely high mega-pixels targeting the pro studio photographers. It can be marketed as a very high mega-pixels medium format camera. Price-wise it can be insanely expensive and will bring higher profit margin compared to 5DSr. It may have a few high resolution native lenses which will be insanely expensive, too. Nevertheless, there will be photographers who may want it, buy it and make their living with it.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
geekpower said:
indeed, new series, not new camera....

the only big gap is between the 1d and 5d, right? so, are we looking at a 4d line, with studio and/or cinema models? (2d and 3d names have obvious issues due to overloading of meaning)

"4D" has even more issues in Japanes. It would be "THE DEATH CAM" ... never going to happen with Canon. LOL LOL LOL ;D

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AJ said:
Maybe medium format?

Canon doesn't offer a new mount and then only offer a smattering of underwhelming lenses for it*. They generally prefer to offer a platform and leverage their size to make the most of it.

So, no, I think that'd be a bridge too far, especially with FF mirrorless possibly staring at similar 'expensive investment' terms if they, too, go with a new mount.

- A

*Besides EOS M. Terms and conditions on your happiness with your lens mount may apply. See internet for details.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Sator said:
Since we are all in wild speculation mode, I might as well throw my 5 yen worth in too.

Ages ago, Egami found a Canon patent for a SLT system. Canon wouldn't call it that, they would call it a pellicle

Pellicle set ups do pull the mirror out of any potential high framerate bottlenecks,

I keep wondering if it's possible to replace flip-up mirrors with mirrors that slide like the shutter curtain. We know those can move across the frame in about 1/300th second. It would have to be a bit heavier/sturdier to support a mirror, but I'd bet at least 25cents it could move 50 times per second.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
yes, yes, yes, Canon! Extremely innovative, as always! Bring it on! More mirrorslappers! Absolutely and urgently needed!

FF mirrorless? No need. Nobody wants to buy any
Maybe some day they will.

just forget it! 10 years after Sony and 3 years after Nikon have launched theirs ... will be more than soon enough
No, you have it all wrong: it'll be just in time to be a major business success

... at least for most CR denizens
Again you have it all wrong: as soon as mirrorless can do everything a DSLR can do (battery life, low-light AF, high speed motion, etc) CR denizens will jump on it. But not before.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
CanonFanBoy said:
More choices are always better.
no. Not generally. And not specifically in this case. "More Pseudo-choice", rather. "More or less more of the same".

If "more choice" then I would like to be able to chose between Canon mirrorslappers and Canon mirrorless cameras not only with APS-C sensor, but also with FF sensor. :)

Or more choice in terms of "sensor / AF /electronics modules" to upgrade existing camera bodies in a much more economical and ecological way than at current ... "throw away, buy a new one".

Anyways, there is only 1 camera series SORELY MISSING at Canon: an excellent lineup of mirrorless FF cameras plus new native mount lenses.

Upvote 0
bhf3737 said:
Does a medium format Canon DSLR make sense here? We have seen other manufacturers like Fuji and Pentax targeting this already. A very high megapixel full-frame sensor has its disadvantages (e.g. diffraction, noise ceiling, etc.) and limited by the resolving power of the lens used.
In its pro line, Canon has 1D for sports, wild-life and journalism; and then 5D for events and all-rounder use. Currently there is no dedicated camera in Canon arsenal for studio work (portraiture, product, still life and even still macro and architecture photography). 5DSr is currently designated to be used in this segment. I guess Canon can make a medium-format DSLR which can have insanely high mega-pixels targeting the pro studio photographers. It can be marketed as a very high mega-pixels medium format camera. Price-wise it can be insanely expensive and will bring higher profit margin compared to 5DSr. It may have a few high resolution native lenses which will be insanely expensive, too. Nevertheless, there will be photographers who may want it, buy it and make their living with it.

I'd love an AFFORDABLE medium format camera system. Something that is less expensive than a new car would be a starting point... Always thought this was an area Sigma should really just jump into, but they seem more focused on the Quattro and Foveon sensor cameras that are APS-H and APS-C. True medium format camera systems usually out of the price range for most that want to get into it. Personally, would love to shoot some video projects on medium format, but client budgets and available technology will not support it right now.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
AvTvM said:
CanonFanBoy said:
More choices are always better.
no. Not generally. And not specifically in this case. "More Pseudo-choice", rather. "More or less more of the same".

If "more choice" then I would like to be able to chose between Canon mirrorslappers and Canon mirrorless cameras not only with APS-C sensor, but also with FF sensor. :)

Or more choice in terms of "sensor / AF /electronics modules" to upgrade existing camera bodies in a much more economical and ecological way than at current ... "throw away, buy a new one".

Anyways, there is only 1 camera series SORELY MISSING at Canon: an excellent lineup of mirrorless FF cameras plus new native mount lenses.

There is more choice. Just because it does not include the item you want does not alter the fact.
"Look at the choice of all the biscuits they have "
"having 80 different sorts of biscuit is not choice because they don't have the gecko flavoured garibaldis that I have been looking for"

You do have a choice of mirrorless - it is called Sony and it is called Olympus. Both of which you have. So where is the problem?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
AvTvM said:

If that is the only option that will satisfy you, I think you can look forward to many more years of trolling this site, because I don't see Canon adding another lens mount.

Upvote 0
Wizardly said:
For my wish list:

Curved sensor camera .
8D - lower tier, refresh of the 6D.
6d.2a, astro 6D.2
5Dr, low resolution, high ISO performance 5D.

A fixed curve sensor would require all new lenses. Does the technology to produce variable-curve sensors (which could possibly support existing lenses) exist?

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
Some of the suggestions are patently ludicrous, as there is no market for half the cameras mentioned. Three ideas so far make sense to me. FF mirrorless and a high Mp pro camera are marketable and have been mentioned. But I haven't seen mention of the most obvious: a FF amateur camera, basically an 80D with a larger body (call it an "8D" if you like). This could sell well and continues Canon's trend of pushing FF down the line from the top. A 2018 release would match the expected timing of this as seen on the Canon EOS timeline (look at when the 5D and 6D appear). A 24 Mp FF could have great latitude and color for an amateur camera, and this would push competitors to release similar cameras. Canon has consistently signaled their support for FF sensors.

Having said that, I don't expect a MF option from Canon in the near future as the economics probably don't make sense yet. Chip cost grows as the cube of the die area, and lens cost appears to have a super-quadratic relationship to mount diameter. With limited customers, it is a niche market that may not justify the infrastructure investment until the mid-2020s. What I would love to see is a Canon 10cm x 10cm sensor LF system with ~5 micron pitch, but the sensor alone I currently guesstimate at ~$15k even at 28nm. In several years that might become cost competitive with current scanner backs, but what will those cost then? And who would buy it?

::sighs, and dreams of giant landscape prints::

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
scottburgess said:
But I haven't seen mention of the most obvious: a FF amateur camera, basically an 80D with a larger body (call it an "8D" if you like). This could sell well and continues Canon's trend of pushing FF down the line from the top.

Wait, what? The 6D Mk II is literally that, a full-frame 80D. (Except with less base-ISO DR ::)) A lower-tier FF would have to have a Rebel-like feature set and build. I'm pretty sure there's no market for that sort of a body.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sharlin said:
scottburgess said:
But I haven't seen mention of the most obvious: a FF amateur camera, basically an 80D with a larger body (call it an "8D" if you like). This could sell well and continues Canon's trend of pushing FF down the line from the top.

Wait, what? The 6D Mk II is literally that, a full-frame 80D. (Except with less base-ISO DR ::)) A lower-tier FF would have to have a Rebel-like feature set and build. I'm pretty sure there's no marked for that sort of a body.

Or, and I wince as I do this -- some premium-priced bougie/style-oriented showpiece of a rig like the Nikon Df?

Remember these ads?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p5k-ade0Hg&feature=youtu.be&t=27s

Why do this? If current sales price is any reflection on enduring demand (or how companies never discount certain products), consider that the Df is still purring at $2750 at B&H some three years after it was released.

For perspective: similar Ferrari-like exotics like the RX1R II is sitting at $2750 and Leica Q is still at it's original $4250, both at about 2 years of age today.

Perhaps the new SLR is for the one-percenters that don't spend much time researching gear enough to know when something is behind the curve?

- A

Upvote 0