New EF-M Prime Likely Coming Ahead of CP+ [CR2]

Jun 12, 2015
okaro said:
neuroanatomist said:
I'm going to guess it'll be a 50mm prime with IS. Probably f/2, but maybe f/2.8 to keep the size down.

But...it could also be the recently-patented 9.5mm f/4 lens.

I doubt 50 mm as Canon has the EF 50 mm f/1.8 which works nicely with EOS M. About 30 mm Normal would be nice with a fast aperture.

+1 on the 30mm! I am spoiled with fast primes on my FF kit, and therefore have a hard time finding any joy in using slow EF-M zoom lenses. The 22mm see some use, but that is pretty much it. I am hoping for a small preferably pancake 30-35mm lens with an aperture faster than f2.8.

I realize that the EF-M 28mm f3.5 macro makes it unlikely that they release a 30mm lens now, but fingers crossed. A fast 50mm seems more realistic.

I am pleased with the sharpness of my EF-M lenses, especially the 22mm and the 11-22. However, I am always a bit underwhelmed when I see the pictures made with these lenses. They lack in terms of color, clarity and contrast. I hope Canon will release some reasonably sized EF-M lenses with L-class quality in the near future.

Upvote 0
traveller said:
neuroanatomist said:
jolyonralph said:
Could we finally be seeing the 'pro' zoom lens, which I have heard will be something like the EF-S 15-85 in range and quality

I could see a 15-85 variable aperture, similar in size to the 18-150, being a popular lens for the M series.

A 15-85 f/2.8-4 would be even nicer! Combined with a 55mm f/1.8, it might just be enough to persuade me to part with my Fuji system. Now that the EOS M5 has dropped a bit in price here in the UK, it might be very tempting... how does it perform with the EF-EOS M Mount Adapter?
Canon sold M6 with 18-150mm lens kit for throwaway price during holiday sale. Kicking myself for not jumping on that deal. My Sigma 17-50mm lens with cheap SL2 along with little FF itch complicates whole decision making for me. :-\

Upvote 0
I'm hoping for a 30-35mm f/2 prime and a higher quality standard zoom, but doubt we will get both - maybe the first one?

I think I'd like to see a fixed aperture (f/4)? std zoom in the 15-55 range, but that would be a rather large lens, defeating the main advantage of the M series. The current 15-45 is very compact, but pretty underwhelming optically.

exquisitor said:
As there are already 22/2.0 and 28/3.5 available, the new 35/whatever would make this focal length range even more crowded. So my guess is rather for 40-50 mm region. Probably native pancake 40/2.8 or 40/2.0 or something like 50/1.8.

The 28/3.5 is a nice lens, but slow. f/3.5 is fine for Macro work, but not not for low light shallow DOF purposes. I hope Canon agrees and gives us a 30/2 STM.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping we finally get one of the lenses I've been waiting for, essentially clones of Fuji's 35/2 or 50/2. Compact and reasonably fast, good at f/2, great at f/2.8. Like big brothers to the current 22/2. Any one of those would be an instant buy from me.

But I've learned to manage my expectations when it comes to the M line ... so my guess is, we'll get a fisheye ???

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
exquisitor said:
Probably native pancake 40/2.8 or 40/2.0 or something like 50/1.8.

wouldn't be a pancake. it's a pancake in EF because the mount registration distance is 44mm.
Can you explain please? I am not a physicist whatever, but if what you say is true, then how it comes that pancake EF-S 24/2.8 would exist. EF-S mount has the same flange distance as EF. Furthermore Fuji X line has pancake at 27 mm, which is quite more than 17.7 mm flange distance.

Upvote 0
I am so keen on some decent EF-M glass. I bought the M5 because I wanted a lighter camera than my 5Ds and 5DIV for shots of my kids at the playground. I liked that it can work with my existing EF lenses, but then most of my lenses are L glass, so I didn't end up saving as much weight as I would have liked.

I have the EF-M 22mm, 11-22mm (both great, but wider than I like for what I use the M5 for, apart from the occasional hiking shot) and the 15-45mm (not so great, although has been good for some recent videos).

I was actually thinking of selling the M5 because I'm not using it as much as I thought I would, and I kinda dislike stepping between the interface on the M5 and the 5Ds and 5DIV. But if there's something like a fast (f2 or wider) 50mm(ish) equivalent coming out, then I can see myself holding onto the M5 and using it much more. Especially if it's relatively small.

I had considered the EF 35mm f/2 IS, but it seems expensive for glass that will only be used on my M5 (I already have 35mm f/1.4L II, so it won't expand my FF kit).

Bottom line, it's the news I've been hoping to hear for awhile, but it all depends on focal length, max aperture and size (and, of course, performance).

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
For the LOVE of all that is holy, please make a fast zoom or prime. I would prefer a fast zoom to replace the 15-45 I have. It's a good lens for what I use it for, but having more light gathering ability and increased size isn't entirely a bad thing - look at the Fuji 18-55mm f/2.8-4 for APS-C, it's not too large and bulky.

Upvote 0
I think the quality and specs these lens and the quality of the new flash will be a key sign for what the FF mirrorless from Canon will look like. If it is a near PRO quality product with EF-M mount, than I would read that the FF mirrorless could possibly be a EF-M mount. Same goes for the mirrorless flash. If it is some 90 or 200 series, I would not read much into it, but if it is a quality 300-600series mirrorless flash, I could see it being aimed at FF mirrorless with hotshoe but no built in flash.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
My hammerlock predictions:

1) Neither lens will have ring USM

2) At least one of the two lenses will be something no one was really screaming for... but on second thought, every system has had something like it. Think EF-M 60mm f/2.8 IS macro STM for a 100mm FF equivalent, 18-200 f/slow IS STM, think 56mm f/2 IS STM for a portraiture option, etc.

3) It will not be the EF-M 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM super standard zoom you've always wanted. It will be less exciting than that.

- A

Upvote 0
eosuser1234 said:
I think the quality and specs these lens and the quality of the new flash will be a key sign for what the FF mirrorless from Canon will look like. If it is a near PRO quality product with EF-M mount, than I would read that the FF mirrorless could possibly be a EF-M mount. Same goes for the mirrorless flash. If it is some 90 or 200 series, I would not read much into it, but if it is a quality 300-600series mirrorless flash, I could see it being aimed at FF mirrorless with hotshoe but no built in flash.

If FF mirrorless from Canon coming anytime soon... Besides the new lens would be probably for APS-C only, so no relevance for FF. And there are excellent flashes from Canon out there. Why not use them with EOS M now? What this "mirrorless" flash should mean?

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
ahsanford said:
3) It will not be the EF-M 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM super standard zoom you've always wanted. It will be less exciting than that.

Who would want that? It'd be big and heavy.

Now, a 2.8-4 zoom may be compact/light enough to be sensible. But I suspect the very best we would hope for in a standard pro zoom would be f/4 constant. But more likely f/3.5-5.6

Upvote 0