New EF-S 24mm & USM Motor Coming? [CR1]

Re: New EF-S 24mm & USM Motor Coming? [CR1]

Random Orbits said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Sometimes I get jealous of my friends who shoot with Nikon. :( One of them bought Nikon 35mm F1.8 DX lens, and that's great. ::) When I see the flash SB700 (medium model) also serving as master wireless, am ashamed of the 430 EXII not do the same. :mad: When I complain of the lack of APS-C primes (here in CR) tell me that I can buy Sigma 30mm F1.4, or Canon 28mm F2.8 IS. :-[ Seriously, Sigma costing $500 without image stabilizer, and Canon costing $550 for only F2.8? :-X APS-C allows a lens 24mm (or 22mm) F2 very compact and below $300. Come on, Canon! I'm waiting.
Picked up my 28 f/2.8 IS for 350 during the last holiday season's sales from one of the NYC superstores. It's a nice lens, but not very popular.
Wow, you paid a good price for 28mm IS. It is a shame that other countries outside the USA there is no discount on prices of lenses. However, I actually prefer the focal length 24mm APS-C. Actually, I'm very envious of EF-M 22mm F2.

Upvote 0

I have wanted a lens like this since I first started shooting. I'm on FF now, but I actually recommend Nikon occasionally to hobbyist photographers because their 35/1.8 is a good cheap addition to the kit (generally the only lens they own besides the kit 18-55 and potentially a slow 70-300). If Canon puts out an inexpensive and good quality 22-24mm prime, I will never have to recommend Nikon again in the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0

ajfotofilmagem said:
Random Orbits said:
Picked up my 28 f/2.8 IS for 350 during the last holiday season's sales from one of the NYC superstores. It's a nice lens, but not very popular.
Wow, you paid a good price for 28mm IS. It is a shame that other countries outside the USA there is no discount on prices of lenses. However, I actually prefer the focal length 24mm APS-C. Actually, I'm very envious of EF-M 22mm F2.

The 24 is more useful than the 28, but the 28 was on sale and the 24 was not. I think the 24 and 28 f/2.8 IS are more suited to FF because there are so many zooms that have IS for APS-C in the range. IS can be useful, but I don't use it much because most of my pics have people in them and I typically need a faster shutter speed anyway.

Agreed, the EF-M 22 f/2 is a gem. The smaller and noisier the sensors, the more "necessary" faster lenses are...

Upvote 0

slclick said:
tianxiaozhang said:
Is there a particular reason that makes EF-S cameras need (dedicated) 24mm lenses?

Is there any reason FF body shooters need a dedicated 35mm lens?

An EF 35mm lens will work fine on crop bodies, as will an EF 24mm lens, e.g. the new 24mm f/2.8 IS USM.

An EF-S 24mm f/2.8 IS STM will not work on FF bodies, hence it's being dedicated crop lens.

Upvote 0