Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
verysimplejason said:
neuroanatomist said:
Promature said:
I was thinking more about light capture, but you bring up good points about DoF and better ISO performance for FF. Maybe my aversion to FF isn't quite justified.

Really, FF gives you more choices. You can choose a shallower DoF and a lot less noise, or choose the same DoF and slightly less noise, compared to APS-C. The only relevant downside to FF is the higher cost of bodies and often lenses. If you can afford it, FF is the way to go.

and WEIGHT (for some people...). :)

When I got my 5D, my lens kit went from 8 to 5, with a reduction in total weight.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Promature said:
I was thinking more about light capture, but you bring up good points about DoF and better ISO performance for FF. Maybe my aversion to FF isn't quite justified.

Really, FF gives you more choices. You can choose a shallower DoF and a lot less noise, or choose the same DoF and slightly less noise, compared to APS-C. The only relevant downside to FF is the higher cost of bodies and often lenses. If you can afford it, FF is the way to go.

I would agree that in general, FF is the way to go, but for those of us who are outdoors enthusiasts and have to carry the camera gear on our back for a week, plus tent, sleeping bag, food, etc... a lighter weight camera starts looking awful good. Most of my compatriots have gone to point and shoots, but for me the drop in IQ, ISO sensitivity, and poor lenses keeps me with DSLR's.

The smaller size body of an APS-C camera is a lot easier to take with you into the wild. Carrying a 400/5.6 lens on an APS-C body is the same reach as carrying a 640/5.6 lens on a FF body.... Which one do you want to carry up the mountain? For my use, a 7D is the ideal Canon camera and I look forward to the new version and hope that the form factor does NOT head towards a 1 series camera.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
The only relevant downside to FF is the higher cost of bodies and often lenses.
For the equivalent specs/quality, FF lenses would actually be cheaper than APS-C - if equivalent lenses really existed. The EF-S 17-55/2.8 (on APS-C) and EF 24-105/4L (on FF) are probably the best examples, the EF 85/1.2L II (on APS-C) and EF 135/2.0L (on FF) is another example with similarly spec:ed lenses with the second lens being half the price. Even with the cheaper lens, I would expect the IQ to be better on the FF. If there was an EF-S 85/1.2 lens made that actually rivaled the EF 135/2.0L on FF, it would probably have to be even more expensive than the current EF 85/1.2L II.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
I would agree that in general, FF is the way to go, but for those of us who are outdoors enthusiasts and have to carry the camera gear on our back for a week, plus tent, sleeping bag, food, etc... a lighter weight camera starts looking awful good. Most of my compatriots have gone to point and shoots, but for me the drop in IQ, ISO sensitivity, and poor lenses keeps me with DSLR's.

The smaller size body of an APS-C camera is a lot easier to take with you into the wild. Carrying a 400/5.6 lens on an APS-C body is the same reach as carrying a 640/5.6 lens on a FF body.... Which one do you want to carry up the mountain? For my use, a 7D is the ideal Canon camera and I look forward to the new version and hope that the form factor does NOT head towards a 1 series camera.

Having said that, the 7D body is actually heavier than the 5DII and only a bit lighter then the 5DIII, and not much smaller physically either. Being able to use smaller lenses for the same equivalent reach on the crop body (compared to FF) is another matter of course.

Upvote 0
I was just think about EF-S lenses and the mount last night! How weird! It's like Canon read my mind! I was wondering if they would ever make another EF-S lens, I couldn't see it happening, but hey! now there's possibly two or three on the way! :eek:

I think in regards to the discontinuation of the 1100 and 60D I am in favor. Why we need three or four levels of crop camera is strange to me. It should be ML - rebel - 7D type - 5D type FF - 1DX. Nice and simple.

I think the 10-22 and 17-55 are still pretty good, and don't urgently need replacing. I'd much much much rather see a new 50 prime than any EF-S lens. But I guess the started with the top (1DX - 5D III - 6D and new L lenses) and now they're focusing on the APS-C side of things with a 7D replacement and EF-S lenses.

Lot's of stuff to look forward to though, can't wait!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
epsiloneri said:
neuroanatomist said:
The only relevant downside to FF is the higher cost of bodies and often lenses.
For the equivalent specs/quality, FF lenses would actually be cheaper than APS-C - if equivalent lenses really existed. The EF-S 17-55/2.8 (on APS-C) and EF 24-105/4L (on FF) are probably the best examples, the EF 85/1.2L II (on APS-C) and EF 135/2.0L (on FF) is another example with similarly spec:ed lenses with the second lens being half the price. Even with the cheaper lens, I would expect the IQ to be better on the FF. If there was an EF-S 85/1.2 lens made that actually rivaled the EF 135/2.0L on FF, it would probably have to be even more expensive than the current EF 85/1.2L II.

That's why I stated 'often'. ;) Consider the 85/1.2 on FF - how much would a 50mm f/0.75 lens cost? In practice, such lenses don't usually exist, of course. Actually, foremost in my mind was the long end, where 400mm on APS-C means a 600mm lens for FF. That's actually my main point, FF gives you the flexibility to have f/1.2 DoF if you need it.

Upvote 0

Craig Richardson

In the Circle of Confusion
Dec 5, 2011
www.craigrichardson.ca
AvTvM said:
love my EF-S lenses. All of them. 10-22, 17-55, 60 Macro.
Don't care at all for any of the lenses rumored here.

I had a love / hate relationship with my 17-55. The performance was absolutely amazing but the lens creep, especially with a polarizing filter attached, made me sell it.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
insanitybeard said:
Don Haines said:
I would agree that in general, FF is the way to go, but for those of us who are outdoors enthusiasts and have to carry the camera gear on our back for a week, plus tent, sleeping bag, food, etc... a lighter weight camera starts looking awful good.

Having said that, the 7D body is actually heavier than the 5DII and only a bit lighter then the 5DIII, and not much smaller physically either. Being able to use smaller lenses for the same equivalent reach on the crop body (compared to FF) is another matter of course.

The 7D is the 1D of the APS-C world and the 60D is the 5D of the APS-C world.

Upvote 0
insanitybeard said:
... the 7D body is actually heavier than the 5DII and only a bit lighter then the 5DIII, and not much smaller physically either. Being able to use smaller lenses for the same equivalent reach on the crop body (compared to FF) is another matter of course.

This is why I don't own a 7D, and have no interest in a 7D2. For me, lighter/smaller is very important, so I'll wait for the 70D (or maybe a Nikon D7200).

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I am both excited and terrified about a "Pro" 7DII. Excited about the potential features. Terrified regarding the potential price. My interpretation is that the 7DII may become heir apparent to the 1DIV for wildlife, sports and cost (~$4,500).

My hope is that the 7DII gets the 5DIII AF, 18-24 MP, 1-2 stops better high-ISO performance and less noise at lower ISO. I'd happily pay ~$2,400 for that camera. However, if they introduce it with new sensor technology and much better noise performance, plus a pro-body...I am expecting it to cost much more.

Anyways, I always like options.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
insanitybeard said:
Don Haines said:
I would agree that in general, FF is the way to go, but for those of us who are outdoors enthusiasts and have to carry the camera gear on our back for a week, plus tent, sleeping bag, food, etc... a lighter weight camera starts looking awful good.

The 7D is the 1D of the APS-C world and the 60D is the 5D of the APS-C world.

The point I was trying to make is that you don't have to have a 1D size body for a full frame camera, and that the 7D is comparable in weight and size to the full frame non-1D equivalents.

Upvote 0
Colski said:
What could they add to the 10-22 in an update?

-Wider? Really?

Some people would like wider. I bought the Sigma 12-24mm for FF, which is equivalent to the 8-16mm on crop.

Colski said:
-Improved IQ? Already the best in the market.

My impression from reviews the Sigma 8-16mm is better.

Colski said:
-f/2.8 like the Tokina 11-16? I'd care, not sure most would.

Same here.

Colski said:
-More solid construction? Nah, still plastic.
-Weather sealing? No current canon crop camera is fully weather sealed.
-Priced competitively? Unlikely.

Agree.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
...a new “pro” APS-C camera, currently expected to be the EOS 7D Mark II.

I'm interested in this. I wonder what 'pro' means? I'd love a redesigned APS-C sensor with significantly lower high ISO noise, in a 1-series style body with the 1D X's AF system. That's what 'pro' means to me... :)

Other than the ergonomics of a built-in grip, weather-sealing and higher voltage battery, what other advantages can one get from a 1-series body? [this is not a rhetorical question, but out of curiosity- for the more aggressive 1-series fans in the forum]

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
sagittariansrock said:
Other than the ergonomics of a built-in grip, weather-sealing and higher voltage battery, what other advantages can one get from a 1-series body? [this is not a rhetorical question, but out of curiosity- for the more aggressive 1-series fans in the forum]

A lot of features are restricted to 1-series bodies, even though there's no technical reason they could not be implemented on others (and maybe that trend will increase beyond the f/8 AF capability that's coming to the 5DIII...). Things like spot metering linked to the selected AF point, the ability to save the camera settings to a memory card (I have groups of C# settings saved, a set for people/events, another set for outdoors/wildlife, etc., all saved on an old 2 GB CF card that stays in the pocket on my Blackrapid strap). There are other physical features, like higher VF magnification, built-in VF shutter, faster frame rate, shorter shutter lag, faster Xsync speed, more durable shutter, etc.

The only thing I really miss from the non-1-series bodies is the lack of compatibility with the convenient little IR remote shutter releases (RC-1, etc.).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
sagittariansrock said:

A lot of features are restricted to 1-series bodies, even though there's no technical reason they could not be implemented on others (and maybe that trend will increase beyond the f/8 AF capability that's coming to the 5DIII...). Things like spot metering linked to the selected AF point, the ability to save the camera settings to a memory card (I have groups of C# settings saved, a set for people/events, another set for outdoors/wildlife, etc., all saved on an old 2 GB CF card that stays in the pocket on my Blackrapid strap). There are other physical features, like higher VF magnification, built-in VF shutter, faster frame rate, shorter shutter lag, faster Xsync speed, more durable shutter, etc.

The only thing I really miss from the non-1-series bodies is the lack of compatibility with the convenient little IR remote shutter releases (RC-1, etc.).

My favourite 1 Series features you dont get on other models

- Brighter VF
- VF block out switch for long exposures in Live view
- Af point linked spot metering
- Bracketing enabled by holding a button and dialing the top wheel to your desired bracket and no need to enter menu hell
- Exposure meter in VF displays both camera metering and flash metering side by side makes it easier to balance flash and ambient
- the ability to select which wheel controls aperture and which one controls shutter speed I used to have the top wheel control aperture and the back control shutter speed on my 1D, when I got a 5D i had to change this on my 1D so that both cameras were the same and it took a little while to adjust to the change

generally on 1D bodies there is an amazing amount of customisation ability to set it up just how you like it

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.