Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/new-ef-s-lenses-are-coming-cr2/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/new-ef-s-lenses-are-coming-cr2/">Tweet</a></div>
<strong>The mount is not forgotten

</strong>Canon has plans to introduce new EF-S lenses in the first couple of quarters of 2013. There will be a new push on the crop segment of the EOS lineup and new lenses are going to be a part of that revival. A few lenses are mentioned as highly probable and will appear alongside a new “pro” APS-C camera, currently expected to be the EOS 7D Mark II.</p>
<p>Two niche lenses are mentioned, one being an EF-S zoom fisheye as well as a new IS macro. No mention of focal length on either. A replacement to the wonderful EF-S 10-22 is also mentioned to be in the works. It will probably be a couple of mm wider at the short end.</p>
<p>The most pressing EF-S lenses that need a redo would be the EF-S 18-200 IS, which we hear is in the works and will have an STM focus motor and be longer at the telephoto end. The other is the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS. While this is a very good lens optically, the build quality and internal dust problems leave a lot to be desired. A small refresh would be welcomed.</p>
<p>I’m also told that there have been delays in regards to lenses brought about by new manufacturing technologies that Canon has introduced in their factories. Those issues are being worked out and we can expect Canon to “catch-up with demand” sometime in 2013.</p>
<p>It was also noted that the 1100D and 60D would quietly be discontinued in the first part of 2013 with no replacements being imminent. This one would surprise me a bit, although perhaps the breadth of products in the APS-C line is no longer needed.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Freelancer said:
wider at the short end... a 8-22mm?

i really doubt that.

There seem to be a couple of lenses that compete with the EF-S 10-22mm, specifically the wider Sigma 8-16mm & the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom.

I always wondered where the 10-22mm benefits from having short back focus when compared to the Sigma. It isn't wider, it's IQ isn't better, it's less than a stop faster, and how many people actually care about 170g weight difference?

Upvote 0
An EF-S zoom fisheye and a wider replacement to the EF-S 10-22?

My impression was the EF-S 10-22mm should be upgraded, specifically to have wider short end and maybe some IQ improvement.

An EF-S fisheye zoom? Does the Tokina 10-17mm sell that well? After years of not making any circular fisheye lenses (note there was one for the FD mount), does Canon suddenly see a market for those on both FF & APS-C? Wouldn't it compete with both the upgraded EF-S 10-22mm and the EF 8-15mm L, which serves as diagonal fisheye lens for APS-C?

Upvote 0
lopicma said:
What is the advantage of EF-S glass?

I have heard that crop sensors have better focus in the middle of the lens on an EF mount. Does this mean it can take full advantage of the entire lens in an EF-S type mount?

The advantage is Canon can sell it cheaper without undercutting its other more-expensive lenses.

The center-frame thing is an advantage to crop sensors, not Efs lenses. Crop sensur uses the sharp middle of a FF lens and discards the weaker edges. And the light fallof/vignetting is discarded/dropped off too.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2011
lopicma said:
What is the advantage of EF-S glass?

I have heard that crop sensors have better focus in the middle of the lens on an EF mount. Does this mean it can take full advantage of the entire lens in an EF-S type mount?

The original rationale was lighter and less expensive. When I first picked up the 10-22mm EF-S, I was surprised how light it was. I like that. Personally, I'm not willing to invest in full-frame bodies due to price, and I find that several of the EF-S offerings (such as the 10-22mm and 17-55mm) are great lenses.

As far as the second part of your question, I've never heard the term "better focus" used, but it is true you are using the center cut of the lens, meaning if the lens has soft corners or vignetting, these attributes will show up less on a crop sensor compared to a full-frame sensor.

As far as an update, I don't feel like my 10-22mm needs any better IQ. I find it to be better than my 24-105mm and in the realm of my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. The 17-55 would benefit from better construction, however, but I, too, am worried about the price inching up. Conversely, a II version could mean cheaper I versions, so ... ;)

Like Thom Hogan on Nikon, I'm still wishing for a fast 28mm or 24mm equivalent prime EF-S. This is my favorite focal length, and f/2 or faster would open up some opportunities for me.

$.02

Upvote 0

2n10

CR Pro
Aug 25, 2012
Sparks, NV
Ellen Schmidtee said:

My impression was the EF-S 10-22mm should be upgraded, specifically to have wider short end and maybe some IQ improvement.

An EF-S fisheye zoom? Does the Tokina 10-17mm sell that well? After years of not making any circular fisheye lenses (note there was one for the FD mount), does Canon suddenly see a market for those on both FF & APS-C? Wouldn't it compete with both the upgraded EF-S 10-22mm and the EF 8-15mm L, which serves as diagonal fisheye lens for APS-C?

My guess is the Sigma 4.5mm full fish eye has enough sales that Canon wants to compete?

Upvote 0
2n10 said:
Ellen Schmidtee said:

My guess is the Sigma 4.5mm full fish eye has enough sales that Canon wants to compete?

I never liked the weird look of the full circle with mass vignetting...

As far as the 60D, does this means the astronomy one too?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon Rumors said:
...a new “pro” APS-C camera, currently expected to be the EOS 7D Mark II.

I'm interested in this. I wonder what 'pro' means? I'd love a redesigned APS-C sensor with significantly lower high ISO noise, in a 1-series style body with the 1D X's AF system. That's what 'pro' means to me... :)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Lee Jay said:
If they're going to bother to mess with the 17-55/2.8, MAKE IT 15MM AT THE WIDE END, for goodness sake!!!

Ideally, it should be 15-60 or so. That would make it a worthy combination with the 70-200s.

Yes. This. Or, better yet, take the 15-85 and make it a constant f4. All wishful thinking though, I expect.

Still, it will be interesting to see what they do with the 17-55 f2.8.

I seriously doubt they will really abandon the 60D. Perhaps let it sit for six months and see what happens with the 7DII and the T4i, but I believe there will still be plenty of room to slot a 70D in between, especially if they upgrade the 7D.

2013 could be a critical year for the future of DSLRs. With a new 6D, a new 7DII and new lenses for both formats, Canon will be making my decision on what to buy harder and harder. Do I split my purchases into two formats or go all-in with APS-C? They are getting very creative about getting into my wallet. Yet, it should be a fun ride.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I'm interested in this. I wonder what 'pro' means? I'd love a redesigned APS-C sensor with significantly lower high ISO noise, in a 1-series style body with the 1D X's AF system. That's what 'pro' means to me... :)

I really hope they don't go anywhere near a 1D style body on a 7D2 as that would be an immediate deal breaker for me.

That aside, I have to wonder what strategy they might pursue... I think the 5D3 would be a reference point, but would the 7D2 get features that surpass it like the 7D did to the 5D2? A further updated AF system would be a nice to have, particularly if they start to standardise on the RGB metering/tracking assist making it more 1D X like than 5D3 like.

On the rumoured lenses, I'll watch with interest what the EF-S fisheye zoom does. I'm already tempted by the full frame version but haven't got it yet since it's a lot of cost of a niche usage lens. If the EF-S version still covers circular to full frame fisheye at a lower cost, I'll probably bite.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
...a new “pro” APS-C camera, currently expected to be the EOS 7D Mark II.

I'm still expecting (Or hoping) that that recent Canon patent for rear illumination of large sensors will appear soon. We have not seen large sensors with rear illumination due to the technical difficulties which the patent claims to solve.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2012
unfocused said:
Lee Jay said:
If they're going to bother to mess with the 17-55/2.8, MAKE IT 15MM AT THE WIDE END, for goodness sake!!!

Ideally, it should be 15-60 or so. That would make it a worthy combination with the 70-200s.

Yes. This. Or, better yet, take the 15-85 and make it a constant f4. All wishful thinking though, I expect.

Nope.. nope nope! I've just buyed the 15-85... don't touch that lens!!!

Upvote 0
2n10 said:
Ellen Schmidtee said:

Possibly, but a fisheye zoom might mean Canon would shoot itself in the foot with an expensive lens, sending customers to buy cheaper primes.

When the EF 8-15mm f/4 came out, I already had an EF 15mm f/2.8. Preferring to save money and keep the extra stop, I bought the Sigma circular fisheye.

In case somebody brings up the familiar ISO argument:

1. An f-stop gives a 1 f-stop advantage, whether on my current camera or any other camera I will own in the future.

2. DxO doesn't support the EF 8-15mm. Support was planned, until the lens was released, then the lens disappeared from the list.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
eddiemrg said:
Nope.. nope nope! I've just buyed the 15-85... don't touch that lens!!!

Wrong attitude... ;)

If they do update it, say to a constant f/4, and (more wishful thinking) add weather sealing, the price will likely go up >30%. When that happens, prices on used copies of the previous version actually go UP, quite possibly meaning you could sell your used lens for more than you paid for it new. Just something to think about...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.