New EOS 7D Mark II Firmware Available Tomorrow

As others have mentioned, the USA site has the firmware update. Here's the link:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d_mark_ii#DriversAndSoftware

Interesting that the updates listed do not really seems to cover most of the AF problems reported by a lot of photographers. Although many of the issues are due to photographers not fully understanding the camera and settings, I'm sure there are some legitimately bad bodies that have actual malfunctioning AF. In that case, I am assuming that a global firmware update would not be appropriate for addressing these random issues not present on all bodies.

Can't wait to hear reports from users after updating firmware to see what kind of results they get (i.e., are any of their camera performance issues resolved, etc)

And also I'm curious if anyone else is going to reset their camera to the defaults after updating the firmware, as was advised by another user on this thread.

Upvote 0
As someone mentioned, it is probably a few weeks old firmware, which has nothing to do with the AF issues.
Back to square one then: I was holding on sending the camera to service since the firmware was mentioned.

Does anyone know whether it matters from which region I download the firmware update? Does Canon have regional differences in their DSLRs?

Upvote 0
coldsweat said:
I absolutely love Canon's wording - 'Fixes a phenomenon in which......'

phenomenon
[fi-nom-uh-non, -nuh n]

2. something that is impressive or extraordinary.

So Canon - these AF problems were actually features eh? ;D

Picking and choosing definitions (especially secondary definitions) can make anything sound silly. Primary definition, according to Oxford (the only dictionary that matters):

"a fact or situation that is observed to exist or happen, especially one whose cause or explanation is in question"

Seems perfect to me.

Upvote 0
Keith_Reeder said:
entoman said:
Lots of autofocus bugs that need to be addressed, but no fixes yet

Says who?

I've seen a lot of user error, but precious little evidence of "bugs"...

Kieth, despite the fact that your camera works perfectly (or at least you think it does) there are many of us with 7d2 that are not working perfectly. Not everyone with these problems can blame user error. I have a 1d4, 5d2, 5d3 for comparison and one of the problematic 7d2. i sent it in to canon, canon confirmed it had AF problems, fixed it and shipped it back. The difference is dramatic. Images are consistently in sharp focus now.

Upvote 0
Interesting the firmware file is dated 2/10. Thats a 3 month delay. Therefore many of the AF issues may be in the works for the next version. I would expect that for a new camera it could take them six months just to get their heads wrapped around the fact there may be some issues that need to be addressed based on support calls (many people didn't bother to report the problem, waiting for the first fw to come out)....plus development and three month soak to make sure it doesn't break anything else.

Could be another 6 months before we see anything meaningful addressed.

It's important to report issues asap to Canon. If you sit on an issue, that is one less data point they have to address a fix.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon1 said:
Keith_Reeder said:
entoman said:

Says who?

Kieth, despite the fact that your camera works perfectly (or at least you think it does) there are many of us with 7d2 that are not working perfectly. Not everyone with these problems can blame user error. I have a 1d4, 5d2, 5d3 for comparison and one of the problematic 7d2. i sent it in to canon, canon confirmed it had AF problems, fixed it and shipped it back. The difference is dramatic. Images are consistently in sharp focus now.

There's a difference between a defective camera unit and a bug or recall-level manufacturing flaw.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Canon1 said:
Keith_Reeder said:
entoman said:

Says who?

There's a difference between a defective camera unit and a bug or recall-level manufacturing flaw.

Time will tell, but when one person experiences a problem it may be due to a defective unit, when many people experience the problem...

CR is not the only place on the web where people are reporting AF problems with the 7D2. It is a widespread discussion and happening in many circles of photography. Argue semantics if it makes you feel better or more superior, but it does not deflate the fact that there are issues with this camera that go beyond an isolated incident where one person is making a stink.

Neuro, how is YOUR canon 7D2 performing?

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
zim said:
You just struck gold there, imagine a rubberised 'tough' protection cover in the shape of your fav 1D series, Ideal for wanna be pros ;D

Pretty slick - now if they's just up date the firmware for my 5D with the same feature, I could improve all of my photographs ;) I skipped the rubberized protection cover and opted for the skillfully placed electrical tape option to hide the seam between the body and battery grip. Works like a champ. lol

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon1 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Canon1 said:
Keith_Reeder said:
entoman said:

Says who?

Time will tell, but when one person experiences a problem it may be due to a defective unit, when many people experience the problem...

CR is not the only place on the web where people are reporting AF problems with the 7D2. It is a widespread discussion and happening in many circles of photography. Argue semantics if it makes you feel better or more superior, but it does not deflate the fact that there are issues with this camera that go beyond an isolated incident where one person is making a stink.

Neuro, how is YOUR canon 7D2 performing?

When the 7D came out in 2009, there were many reports of AF problems. Threads on DPR and POTN running to dozens of pages describing those problems. YouTube video demos. A widespread discussion that happened in many circles of photography. A couple of people here on CR forums still haven't gotten over it. Where is the Service Notice from Canon for the 7D AF recall?

MY 7D performed quite well. The 7DII bodies I've tried out (three different ones now) have performed just fine, too.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
westr70 said:
Hmm... when I download it, the size is 28.7 MB (30.182.064 bytes) but the canon site says it should be 30.35 MB. I have windows 7 64 bit. I've downloaded it three times and no change. Any suggestions?

The version that I downloaded from Canon USA (7D200104.FIR) is 30,182,064 bytes. It has been uploaded into the camera and everything appears to work.

Hope this helps....

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
westr70 said:
Hmm... when I download it, the size is 28.7 MB (30.182.064 bytes) but the canon site says it should be 30.35 MB. I have windows 7 64 bit. I've downloaded it three times and no change. Any suggestions?

The version that I downloaded from Canon USA (7D200104.FIR) is 30,182,064 bytes. It has been uploaded into the camera and everything appears to work.

Hope this helps....

Thanks for the help Don. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0