New firmware coming for the Canon EOS R [CR1]

maves

24mm TS-e ii is life!
Sep 21, 2017
Tasmania
I'm hoping for:
- An electronic level like the one on the 5 D IV, the R's being simply far too intrusive.
- A way to regulate the viewfinder's brightness.
- A more "restrictive" focus peaking
Otherwise, more possibilities to customize the viewfinder's information.
Yet, extremely satisfied with the EOS R, really great little camera!

+1 for a less obtrusive electronic level. I use tilt shift lenses with focus peaking a lot while travelling, hand held, and it can be a real pain to use the level. That would be my biggest complaint against the R. Apart from that I've found it a huge step up from my 5Diii and I got it for less than half the price of a 5Div (Approx. USD$1690 including RF 35mm 1.8 IS, brand new with full Canon Australia Warranty). Focus peaking has made manual focus lenses a dream, I don't have to zoom in x10 with tilt shift lenses to confirm focus and TS lenses don't throw out the metering when Shifted, meaning I can use aperture priority when shooting on the run. The focus performance of my EF fast lenses has become so much more consistent! Adapting vintage glass is easy and can nail focus even at f1.2. I get that the R wasn't the A7Riii Killer or 5Div replacement that people were after, but I have found it to be absolutely excellent for my needs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
WRT the level, I have found that on my cameras they are a little off and if I use them my verticals aren't vertical.
I use a bubble on my tripod head and that works OK but poorly in the dark.
Do you have the latest firmware? It wasn’t accurate with the first firmware, but found it to be much better now.

With both directions green you still have converging lines?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Yeah, Canon really needs to up their game when it comes to firmware. When I tested out the Sony a9 earlier this year and Sony touted all they changed and improved with every firmware version it really made annoyed at how little Canon offers when updating firmware.

.... because SONY imaging products are in a perpetual BETA testing mode. or even pre-BETA mode called sometimes ALPHA... oh, wait.. ALPHA? hm...
every firmware is another daily build with bugs squashed and bugs added..
Canon products are polished.
A7R - Beta 1
A7R II - Beta 2
A7R III - Beta 3
A7R IV - Pre-release.
A7R V - release to public

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Yes!!! Please, please, please include a setting to make this possible. This might be my biggest complaint about the camera. Drives me nuts.
I can’t understand this one?

When turning the wheel to the right, the selector goes right on screen, isn’t that pretty logical? What am I missing?

And usually I just touch the desired mode.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I can’t understand this one?

When turning the wheel to the right, the selector goes right on screen, isn’t that pretty logical? What am I missing?

And usually I just touch the desired mode.

It is logical...and it isn't. Depends on how you tend to think of the selection method. I want to select the mode to the right by turning the dial clockwise. As though the dial represents a gear, and the selection screen represents a connected gear. The gear on the right (the dial) should make the gear on the left (the display) turn. Connected gears turn in opposite directions, and this is how my brain thinks the camera should also function. Similar to a scroll wheel on a mouse (on a PC). Moving the scroll wheel upward makes things on the display move downward.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It is logical...and it isn't. Depends on how you tend to think of the selection method. I want to select the mode to the right by turning the dial clockwise. As though the dial represents a gear, and the selection screen represents a connected gear. The gear on the right (the dial) should make the gear on the left (the display) turn. Connected gears turn in opposite directions, and this is how my brain thinks the camera should also function. Similar to a scroll wheel on a mouse (on a PC). Moving the scroll wheel upward makes things on the display move downward.
Good point and it should be programmable. Same issue with my gimbal and it is programmable, giving the choice.

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
That’s really funny, and I get you’re coming from. I always switch way on my Mac, because I think it’s very logical to scroll the wheel down to move the screen down. Because it’s the same direction.

We had a discussion here where we asked different people; Which side of the bed do you sleep on? Seems pretty straight forward, but nearly all women and men answered the SAME side when they are a couple. Men tend to determine the side when standing at the foot end and which side do we go to, and women tend to answer when they are actually laying down in bed, so they both laid on the left side from different POV.

But, when it comes to cars, I say left hand side when I sit in the car, not stand in front of it, go figure..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
That’s really funny, and I get you’re coming from. I always switch way on my Mac, because I think it’s very logical to scroll the wheel down to move the screen down. Because it’s the same direction.

We had a discussion here where we asked different people; Which side of the bed do you sleep on? Seems pretty straight forward, but nearly all women and men answered the SAME side when they are a couple. Men tend to determine the side when standing at the foot end and which side do we go to, and women tend to answer when they are actually laying down in bed, so they both laid on the left side from different POV.

But, when it comes to cars, I say left hand side when I sit in the car, not stand in front of it, go figure..

I thought about what you said...and my answer was the left side. I texted my wife. She also said the left side. That's hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Please please change the distance when proximity sensor switches from back screen to EVF. Currently it is way to sensitive.
Please set it to ~3-4mm from EVF. And also please make it to switch way faster. Its sometimes laggy. Because ofter sensor is trigered by neckstrap, hand movement etc.
You can have it less sensitive or less laggy, which do you want? The reason it's so sensitive is so that it can sense you bringing the camera up to your face even before you have it completely against your face to reduce how laggy you perceive it to be. If you made the EVF sensor less sensitive, it would be more laggy, as it wouldn't start switching to the EVF until the camera was closer to your face.

Yes ideally the EVF would just turn on faster, but I assume Canon has done everything they could to make it change over as fast as possible, so they had to also make the EVF sensor extra sensitive to reduce the perceived lag.

So again, with the current technology, you have to choose one, less sensitive or less laggy. I'm glad Canon made it as sensitive as it is to reduce the lag, even if it is occasionally annoying when it switches to EVF because my hand is too close to the sensor when using the touch screen.

Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
Which brightness level are you at?
I normally use the neutral brightness, but changing it, only affect at the screen. I also tryed with the shortcut, but is the same.

EDIT: Done! I didn't tryed to change brightness on menu directly looking through the viewfinder. Man, im sincerely grateful!

Thanks, Viggo!

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I normally use the neutral brightness, but changing it, only affect at the screen. I also tryed with the shortcut, but is the same.

EDIT: Done! I didn't tryed to change brightness on menu directly looking through the viewfinder. Man, im sincerely grateful!

Thanks, Viggo!
Excellent! Glad it worked out (y)

Upvote 0
Please please change the distance when proximity sensor switches from back screen to EVF. Currently it is way to sensitive.
Please set it to ~3-4mm from EVF. And also please make it to switch way faster. Its sometimes laggy. Because ofter sensor is trigered by neckstrap, hand movement etc.
I ended up disabling automatic EVF/screen switching and assigning the switch to movie button (the one with red dot). Surprisingly it's a very convenient setup, give it a try :3

Upvote 0