New Firmware coming to the Canon EOS R

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I am told that a firmware update for the Canon EOS R will be coming sometime before the end of July.
As far as we can tell, the firmware update will be for bug fixes.
On the topic of the EOS R, a separate source told us we can expect to see another Canon EOS R price drop before the end of September, likely priced at $1499 USD. The camera will remain current to the EOS R lineup into 2021 we were also told.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Not surprising whatsoever on the price drop. It only makes perfect sense to do so given the new bodies will have a major improvement in tech with IBIS. Frees up the $2000-$2500 price point for the R6 and the RP coming in at $899 rounds out the lineup quite superbly.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The EOS R is a mixed blessing camera. The Touch Bar was a gimmick that never really worked whereas the size & shape are about right for a mirrorless camera. The sensor is at that mid-point between the 1 series and the 5ds /r, the back-focus button in the wrong place and the touch screen both brilliant & annoying. The viewfinder is cool but cameras like this need a joystick.
Focus stacking seems like a strange "mis" by Canon as was a second card slot. I like using the camera but it will not go down as one of my most favourite Canon cameras (Its not in the same ground breaking league as the AE-1 or the 5D MKII). Let hope the EOS R5 & R6 move the game on the EOS R has too many compromises.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
The EOS R is a mixed blessing camera. The Touch Bar was a gimmick that never really worked whereas the size & shape are about right for a mirrorless camera. The sensor is at that mid-point between the 1 series and the 5ds /r, the back-focus button in the wrong place and the touch screen both brilliant & annoying. The viewfinder is cool but cameras like this need a joystick.
Focus stacking seems like a strange "mis" by Canon as was a second card slot. I like using the camera but it will not go down as one of my most favourite Canon cameras (Its not in the same ground breaking league as the AE-1 or the 5D MKII). Let hope the EOS R5 & R6 move the game on the EOS R has too many compromises.
I'm one of the rare ones but I actually don't mind the touch bar. Also I find missing joystick isn't so bad as with having long thumbs the whole touch screen absolute af point works quicker for me than a stick. What I do miss is a rear wheel around the d-pad and really don't get why the af button is so off the way it is as muscle memory on that still throws me to this day at times.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I'm one of the rare ones but I actually don't mind the touch bar. Also I find missing joystick isn't so bad as with having long thumbs the whole touch screen absolute af point works quicker for me than a stick. What I do miss is a rear wheel around the d-pad and really don't get why the af button is so off the way it is as muscle memory on that still throws me to this day at times.
rumor from unknown source that R6 will have touch bar

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
rumor from unknown source that R6 will have touch bar
Don't get me wrong I wouldn't miss it, not that much of a monster ;) However I don't hate it the way a lot seem to. There is likely things missing from R6 I need for how I shoot and the R is good enough for me. I'm kinda interested in the R5 but for how much it is likely to be in Europe I'd rather spend it elsewhere. Most my budget goes on lights/modifiers/stands and grip, followed by lenses, followed by misc accessories followed by bodies last so the early adoption tax on an R5 isn't worth it to me.

Upvote 0