New Firmware coming to the Canon EOS R

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
I still think the R6 will be cheaper than 2000 for the base kit with the 4.5-7.1 24-105 lens. I suspect MSRP for that kit will be 1999 USD, and that the f4 lens will bring it up to 2599. (Maybe one of their "instant rebate" discounts on the lens to drop it to that price).

Canon has an opportunity to lock in a lot of Pro and semi-pro users into their new RF line of lenses, and a lot of prosumers who do buy at least a couple of lenses in addition to the kit will purchase more RF glass. I don't think the next line after this in a few years will be as aggressive - I think this will just be to get as many people locked into RF as possible.

If the rumors about the pricepoint of the R5 is true, then I think holding the cost of the R6 to MSRP of the 6dII is not out of the realm of possibility, especially when they now have a cheap standard zoom 24-105 to package it with.

Listen!!! From your lips to the camera gods ears! I wish for your prediction to be correct. But I feel it will be $2200 to $2500 for body only.

If I can get the R6 + 24-105 f4 for $2600 I would be doing backflips! I think we all will!

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
I'm not certain that the philosophy of if the R5 is too much money then the R6 will be the right body for you. They are two different birds. I don't buy a cheap shop vacuum if the torque wrench I want is too expensive.

Absolutely right. Its about need. Not gonna show up to Crit with an MTB lol

I have some film friends who can't wait to get their hands on an R5, anything under $4000 is a bargain for them considering what their equipment normal cost. For me my needs are fulfilled with the R6. Although, I do like landscape photography for my own personal work, I don't make money from it. Weddings, Food Photography and Event Photography is where I do my work. The R6 will be more than capable. I ain't out in the bush, hundreds of feet away, pissing in a bottle, waiting for an eagle to catch a fish.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Absolutely right. Its about need. Not gonna show up to Crit with an MTB lol

I have some film friends who can't wait to get their hands on an R5, anything under $4000 is a bargain for them considering what their equipment normal cost. For me my needs are fulfilled with the R6. Although, I do like landscape photography for my own personal work, I don't make money from it. Weddings, Food Photography and Event Photography is where I do my work. The R6 will be more than capable. I ain't out in the bush, hundreds of feet away, pissing in a bottle, waiting for an eagle to catch a fish.

:D :D Well...You just described a part of my life! On the bush, pissing in a bottle!! :D :D

The combo R5 and R6 would be absolutely impressive for all filmmakers! For those who 120FPS is not needed the R6 is perfect!The ones who have the possibility of having the two bodies they will be completely covered up for video and for photo! If this new sensors are good then Canon have here serious winning cameras!

I am very, very anxious to get one R5, but i am considering also to get an R6 and change all my equipment for those 2 cameras. They will do everything I need and I will pass from 4 cameras to 2 cameras!

EDIT: BTW Why the photo with one EOS Rs ?? :D :D

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Shutter lag. Hoping the shutter lag gets fixed. At first, I didn't notice because I was photographing stationary models. Now that I have focussed more on the grandson and dragonflies I notice it a lot. Other than that, I am unaware of any bugs with the camera.

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
I hope they’ll fix the issue that I can’t set ISO to Auto when the camera is in metering mode (after half pressing the shutter button). I really love the Touch Bar (unlike others) but this bug is incredibly annoying.

I also hope they’ll improve the Fv (flexible priority) mode. It’s an amazing idea but if I only could reprogram the back controller and set it to something else than switching between parameters. There are four controls, I could set each parameter to one controller but now I can’t.

And since the R doesn’t have fix number of modes (Av, Tv, M,...) they could allow for higher number of custom modes (C1, C2, ...) and make it possible to name them! How cool would it be to have my own modes like Portrait, Timelapse, Night sky, Landscape, Sport, Planes or whatever. And ideally when I could chose what parameters are custom and which ones are inherited from the main mode. This would make me buy a new camera.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Shutter lag. Hoping the shutter lag gets fixed. At first, I didn't notice because I was photographing stationary models. Now that I have focussed more on the grandson and dragonflies I notice it a lot. Other than that, I am unaware of any bugs with the camera.

I'm no expert on shutter lag, but it seems that the R yields similar performance to the 5D mk. IV, no?

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PR...ing" the camera by,incredibly fast for a DSLR.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-eos-r/canon-eos-rA6.HTM

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Not surprising whatsoever on the price drop. It only makes perfect sense to do so given the new bodies will have a major improvement in tech with IBIS. Frees up the $2000-$2500 price point for the R6 and the RP coming in at $899 rounds out the lineup quite superbly.
IBIS is the killer tech you get with the R5. Everything else is incremental (not talking video here). Will never - ever - buy another camera without. Sad Canon was in denial for all those years - but now it's party-time! :love:

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Focus stacking please
o_O I thought they can this finally!?!?

What I don't like with my RP...the focus also if MF is "on" with the 35mm 1.8f it changes the focusposition if you turn on/off the camera!... for timelapse is this really shitty! (Camera has to be always on...and not into the eco mode)

Upvote 0