New Firmware coming to the Canon EOS R

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
:D :D Well...You just described a part of my life! On the bush, pissing in a bottle!! :D :D

The combo R5 and R6 would be absolutely impressive for all filmmakers! For those who 120FPS is not needed the R6 is perfect!The ones who have the possibility of having the two bodies they will be completely covered up for video and for photo! If this new sensors are good then Canon have here serious winning cameras!

I am very, very anxious to get one R5, but i am considering also to get an R6 and change all my equipment for those 2 cameras. They will do everything I need and I will pass from 4 cameras to 2 cameras!

EDIT: BTW Why the photo with one EOS Rs ?? :D :D
I hope (for you !) that your bottle has a wide neck...;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
IBIS is the killer tech you get with the R5. Everything else is incremental (not talking video here). Will never - ever - buy another camera without. Sad Canon was in denial for all those years - but now it's party-time! :love:
Depends on what and how you shoot, for low light slow subject motion folks where tripod is more of a hindrance than help then yeah it is groundbreaking but that isn't everyone. Plenty of genres where IS (lens and/or body) isn't much use. For me it is pretty much unused even on lenses I have it available I pretty much never use it except rare occasions. Also I don't think Canon have been in denial about it, just they are very conservative and wont impliment anything until they consider it mature and they understand their market better than we tend to give credit on forums and it is different demographic than Sony for instance. Their bread and butter is ergos and reliability under wide range of niches over spec sheet monsters. Nothing wrong with either just different demands. Sucks it takes developments time to reach Canon stuff, but good that when it does happen it "just works" under nearly (if not all) varied conditions of the niches the product is aimed at.

Sure it is nice to have the extra options but for me I prefer the conservative safe bet over blistering paper specs that crap out and overheat in some real conditions. I'd prefer to have less specs for my money and my gear just work, understand my gear limitations and planning around it to produce quality images than swap that for more weak links in the chain for convenience. There is something to be said for the other approaches and for some the maybe it'll play up in some situations is zero problem. Even pro use as anyone who has experience with digiMF will know those camera options tend to not just work either and for the niches they tap is isn't a biggy if they crap out occasionally.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
IBIS is the killer tech you get with the R5. Everything else is incremental (not talking video here). Will never - ever - buy another camera without. Sad Canon was in denial for all those years - but now it's party-time! :love:

Another chronic gripe with Canon is SIZE. Lenses are too big. Bodies are too big.

Olympus offered smaller gear with IBIS for years.

Now Oly's future is uncertain. I think Canon has been pretty steady at the helm during an intensely stormy decade for camera companies. They have not been in "denial" as a company by any means.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Personally I have no desire or need for IBIS, I have IS on the lenses I need it on but shoot the vast majority of my images with lenses with no IS and no IBIS and I have no difficulty getting images sharp.

I’ll take it when it comes but it certainly isn’t a ‘game changer’ for me.

As for size, that’s what Canon made the M series for, and again, no complaints from me.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Another chronic gripe with Canon is SIZE. Lenses are too big. Bodies are too big.

Olympus offered smaller gear with IBIS for years.

Now Oly's future is uncertain. I think Canon has been pretty steady at the helm during an intensely stormy decade for camera companies. They have not been in "denial" as a company by any means.

I still feel that the biggest selling point for M43 was the size. The bodies were small, but the lenses were truly small and lightweight. This was excellent for any work that involves 10+ hours of shooting on your feet. Over the years, the bodies and lenses got progressively larger and Oly no longer advertised its size and weight advantage anymore. With the latest news, the entire M43 format is now at risk with Panny having moved on to FF themselves.

That being said, for film/video work, IBIS is a godsend. I can understand it might have limited utility for stills shooters, but so many times I've faked slider shots on a monopod, or needed to get an insert shot when my gimbal+cam was with another shooter that I just pulled the camera off the tripod and handheld the shot I needed with relatively good results regardless of the lens I had on the camera.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
There’s some incongruity between the rapid development of high ISO performance and IS. FF cameras have become so good at high ISO, personally I really start to question my need for IS in any form. The 5DS is so capable at ISO 1600 when you reduce the output sizes of the images to something more ‘nomal’, I just shoot away with the 135L and 200L at 1/1000 or more hand held without any practical disadvantage. The advantage is that I don’t then get accidental unwanted subject movement.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
There’s some incongruity between the rapid development of high ISO performance and IS. FF cameras have become so good at high ISO, personally I really start to question my need for IS in any form. The 5DS is so capable at ISO 1600 when you reduce the output sizes of the images to something more ‘nomal’, I just shoot away with the 135L and 200L at 1/1000 or more hand held without any practical disadvantage. The advantage is that I don’t then get accidental unwanted subject movement.
Yet a 135 with IS would be sweet.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Moving forward, if Canon only issues firmware updates for the R in order to remedy bugs and add new lens compatibility, I'm totally fine with that. I bought the camera fairly early on, and am grateful for all the improvements they have made since. I might have to get an R6 at some point though...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Maybe the lockdown has me more cynical than usual, but why would a company add new features to a camera now? It has two new cameras coming out next month!
Now its usually a case of "what you get is what you see". From a marketing sense, there would be benefits in selling "what you get is what you want (even if not currently available)". So to change a buyer's thinking from "I won't buy the R6 because it doesn't have an intervalometer" to "I will buy the R6 because they will probably add an intervalometer"
Adding features to the R won't kill sales of the new cameras as they don't really compete with the R.
The R was always a developmental / experimental camera, so they could trial features before including them in the R5 and R6.
So here's hoping.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

B77

Feb 16, 2020
Not surprising whatsoever on the price drop. It only makes perfect sense to do so given the new bodies will have a major improvement in tech with IBIS. Frees up the $2000-$2500 price point for the R6 and the RP coming in at $899 rounds out the lineup quite superbly.

Honestly, I think $2.000 is way overpriced for R6. I mean all it offers is 4K 60fps...cameras with those capabilities are priced at $1.200-$1.300 by the competition. GH5 is around $1.300 and it had those capabilities since 2017 (4k60fps, 10bit video, 20MP photos)... so exactly in R6 range.

Honestly, I am waiting to see if Canon prices its cameras according to the competition, but if they will go for $1.400+ on R6 I am going with competition. For $2.000 I can get brand new camera+gimbal+ND filter from competition. And even better, a 6K video camera from Black Magic, if I were only buying for video capabilities.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I think $2.000 is way overpriced for R6. I mean all it offers is 4K 60fps...cameras with those capabilities are priced at $1.200-$1.300 by the competition. GH5 is around $1.300 and it had those capabilities since 2017 (4k60fps, 10bit video, 20MP photos)... so exactly in R6 range.

Honestly, I am waiting to see if Canon prices its cameras according to the competition, but if they will go for $1.400+ on R6 I am going with competition. For $2.000 I can get brand new camera+gimbal+ND filter from competition. And even better, a 6K video camera from Black Magic, if I were only buying for video capabilities.

4k 60fps 10 bit 4:2:2 (hopefully) internally
Excellent AF

In stills:
12FPS and 20 electronic
Animal detection (for both video and stills)

Can you tell me How can Blackmagic get this? If you go for the pocketcinema 6k you get a really nice video camera no doubt. But there is no way near that the AF of the blackmagic can compare to Canon. Plus, you wont make photos with it.
Even the GH5, photography is no way near Canon and also AF is far from Canon quality.

And we can´t talk of what we don´t know! We only know some rumors about the R6. We still need to see that IBIS, or the other things we still don´t know about the camera!

Everyone has it´s needs, if your need is "only" video, then ok, maybe you do have another options in market. But talking in Hybrid, the R6 can be a very nice camera!!
Guys that look to this cameras R5 and R6 know what they are looking for. And definitely guys that are looking for a hybrid camera like the R5 or R6 will not want a Panasonic or a Blackmagic...They are simply quite different!

I don´t know how much it will cost, of course we all expect that the camera can be priced accordingly. But it´s very soon to make judgements! :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

GH5 = Micro 4/3. R6 = FF. GH5 is "not exactly" in the R6 range. Black Magic is also M43. Just saying. I like to compare apples to apples. Perhaps you meant the Panasonic Lumix DC-S1 L mount @1,997.99 after the $500 rebate and shoots in 6k?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Tell us how IBIS is so fantastically superior to IS, especially the newer versions, thank you. I have never in the 40+ years of photography or 21 years of Canon dslr's once shared the sentiment that I could not live without stabilization. When I have used it for particular shooting scenarios it was helpful in getting 'some' shots but if I do not have the skills and have to rely on the body to perform magick.....Sorry, I'd rather be worth my weight with an understanding of light and movement and not the gear. Both is ideal of course.

Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
Even for video though I find IBIS is prob not a big thing for me because when I'm not on a tripod etc I've got my cam on a stabiliser. That is the thing there is no generalisation of "all video guys" either. Not just for motion control but the shot control for pans and fluid motion tilts sweeping from floor to subject or ceiling to subject and reverse for transitions etc means I'm still likely not to want just ibis when going handheld and still have some kind of rig on my camera than true handheld. Perhaps for wedding guys doing hybrid it is major but again th ibis hype I see is one of those things that simply doesn't reflect the whole market. Nice to have but there are other features I care more about that are essential to me that others probably feel are useless never mind less than essential. I just don't mistake what suits me or others in same niches as I am as representing ever person interested in an R5 the way sometimes happens on forums like all R5 vid folks want the same thing or all R6 stills etc when each model taps several niches.

Upvote 0