New Firmware coming to the Canon EOS R

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Canon should at least give this camera one more firmware update that gives it 1080/120 but no autofocus. The fact that it only has 720p is quite laughable when it could clearly do it, and easily.

Can you provide some evidence for 'clearly' and 'easily'? And for bonus points, please define those terms as well.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Don't get me wrong I wouldn't miss it, not that much of a monster ;) However I don't hate it the way a lot seem to. There is likely things missing from R6 I need for how I shoot and the R is good enough for me. I'm kinda interested in the R5 but for how much it is likely to be in Europe I'd rather spend it elsewhere. Most my budget goes on lights/modifiers/stands and grip, followed by lenses, followed by misc accessories followed by bodies last so the early adoption tax on an R5 isn't worth it to me.
I was just joking. The statement is contradictory in fact, "rumor from [non existence source] that R6 will have touch bar".

We need people like you to go out from the traditional approach to potentially make stuff better.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised they left that out. Does it not even have a time-lapse movie setting? My G cameras don't have an interval timer for stills, but do have a couple of time-lapse movie modes. In addition to that, my 6D2 has a regular interval shooting mode for stills. So it is not arcane technology foreign to Canon.

R does have time-lapse movie. But it is different than intervolmeter and I used this feature a lot on my 6D2, and never used the time-lapse movie.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
R does have time-lapse movie. But it is different than intervolmeter and I used this feature a lot on my 6D2, and never used the time-lapse movie.
I haven't done many. When I got the G7X II, I made a star time-lapse video to see how that worked. I liked it, especially when I noticed that the Pleiades popped up right at the end. star video

With the 6D2 I aimed at the bird feeders next door and had it do a 4K video with frames every 3 seconds.
for posting, I slowed it to 1/10 speed and sent it to YouTube as 1040p. Most of the activity starts about 1:40 in the video. I shot for 45 minutes late in the evening, when they mostly feed there, letting the camera change exposure each frame. If I try that again, I'll adjust settings based on my experience with it. Maybe a half-second interval would work better.

I can't think of any use I'd have for the intervalometer other than for video. I didn't have the 6D2 yet when I shot the solar eclipse, but without tracking, I'm not sure that would have worked that well anyway. I kept having to aim for the sun.

Upvote 0
Can you provide some evidence for 'clearly' and 'easily'? And for bonus points, please define those terms as well.
I love patronizing replies. Its processing power and resolution. The M6 Mark II and 90D can both do it with similar (though not the same) MP count as the R and, identical Digic 8 processors. The difference being FF and APSC.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I love patronizing replies. Its processing power and resolution. The M6 Mark II and 90D can both do it with similar (though not the same) MP count as the R and, identical Digic 8 processors. The difference being FF and APSC.

So you’re saying the sensor technology plays no significant role, got it. Glad to know it’s all limited solely by software.

Upvote 0
So you’re saying the sensor technology plays no significant role, got it. Glad to know it’s all limited solely by software.
Well it’s Canon and they’ve been known to hamstring product just because. So yeah, that’s what I’m saying. If you’re really trying to sell me on the EOS R’s “sensor technology isn’t capable”... then I’m not buying it.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
$1,500 would be a nice price for this. It’s not a bad camera. Other than for a couple of oddities, it’s actually pretty good, with very good image quality.

I agree. That’s what I paid for mine over the holidays. I think the R is ultimately a tweener that is a dead end in terms of its place in the line. Once they retire it, you’ll need to go up to R5 for a magnesium body and top display. It fits my needs perfectly, and by the time I need to replace it, the RF ecology will be mature and built out.

I would like to see further improvements to the AF where they’re possible, but I have no illusions of there being new features added

Upvote 0
I agree. That’s what I paid for mine over the holidays. I think the R is ultimately a tweener that is a dead end in terms of its place in the line. Once they retire it, you’ll need to go up to R5 for a magnesium body and top display. It fits my needs perfectly, and by the time I need to replace it, the RF ecology will be mature and built out.

I would like to see further improvements to the AF where they’re possible, but I have no illusions of there being new features added

You really can find some great deals on the R at the moment. I paid AU$1600 for mine and have been very impressed with it. By comparison I paid AU$4500 for my 5D Mark IV and the R has proven to be a better camera for my uses thus far. The autofocus of my 5D was always very hit and miss... but the accuracy of the R has been stellar.

If they do end up improving the autofocus of the R again via a firmware update, I'm not even sure I would buy an R5 anymore... the big drawcard for the R5 for me is the 4k 120fps video mode and 8k Raw obviously... perfect camera to transition into making more fashion & beauty films for clients

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
In case you're wondering, the EOS R 720p 120fps is actually slightly better than the M6 Mark II / 90D 1080p 120fps

Only the 1DX II or 1DX III produce better slow motion until the new models come out, I think the patronizing replies are defined by the lack of practical research :)

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2019
In case you're wondering, the EOS R 720p 120fps is actually slightly better than the M6 Mark II / 90D 1080p 120fps

Only the 1DX II or 1DX III produce better slow motion until the new models come out, I think the patronizing replies are defined by the lack of practical research :)
I've used both and I find this to be completely and utterly false. The speedbooster alone can account for the loss in appeared resolution/sharpness. I would still rate the 1080 higher with Sigma glass.

Upvote 0
Over a year ago on March 2019:
b4a57b0239718ffbc7e3d83187da93f8.png

...and....

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-to-follow-nikon-and-offer-external-raw-recording-on-eos-r-via-hdmi/

...and....

https://camerajabber.com/is-the-canon-eos-r-about-to-get-raw-recording/

...So why ever happened?

Upvote 0