New Firmware coming to the Canon EOS R

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I read that the R5 and R6 might get firmware updates. Any further news about the update for the R?
I haven’t seen anything. I check Canon USA every few days. I’d like to know what the update is specifically going to fix as I’ve not had and issues besides shutter lag.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I'm hoping it will also have a profile for the Laowa 100mm 2x I just acquired in RF mount. It seemed to 'recognise' the old EF mount I briefly had, but still insisted on cropping it down to EF-S size! Which seemed to be a firmware issue for Laowa rather than Canon's problem. The RF (only released late March) works fine and uncropped - but the EOS R doesn't recognise it at all yet.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm hoping it will also have a profile for the Laowa 100mm 2x I just acquired in RF mount. It seemed to 'recognise' the old EF mount I briefly had, but still insisted on cropping it down to EF-S size! Which seemed to be a firmware issue for Laowa rather than Canon's problem. The RF (only released late March) works fine and uncropped - but the EOS R doesn't recognise it at all yet.

Someone on fredmiranda.com has been in touch with Laowa and was told to send in his lens to get the chip replaced. Newer batches have it fixed already.
Does the RF version have electronic aperture like the EF version, the pictures make it look like it doesn't?

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Someone on fredmiranda.com has been in touch with Laowa and was told to send in his lens to get the chip replaced. Newer batches have it fixed already.
Does the RF version have electronic aperture like the EF version, the pictures make it look like it doesn't?
Actually, looking at it again, It doesn't, which provides a ready-made answer to my initial question!

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I haven’t seen anything. I check Canon USA every few days. I’d like to know what the update is specifically going to fix as I’ve not had and issues besides shutter lag.
I have 2 issues with my R: "warm-up" time after it has been switched off and that gruesome:eek: electronic level.
Otherwise, apart from the low-definition evf, very satisfied with my EOS R.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have 2 issues with my R: "warm-up" time after it has been switched off and that gruesome:eek: electronic level.
Otherwise, apart from the low-definition evf, very satisfied with my EOS R.
I'm very happy with it for static subjects. Best camera I have ever owned. But a couple of weeks ago I moved to the Ozarks in Arkansas. Lots and lots of wildlife. The grandson is also growing up and getting fast. I'm having to switch from portrait shooter to wild animal shooter. I'll keep shooting with my R, but the R5 and a tele zoom are on my shopping list a couple of years from now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
I'm very happy with it for static subjects. Best camera I have ever owned. But a couple of weeks ago I moved to the Ozarks in Arkansas. Lots and lots of wildlife. The grandson is also growing up and getting fast. I'm having to switch from portrait shooter to wild animal shooter. I'll keep shooting with my R, but the R5 and a tele zoom are on my shopping list a couple of years from now.

That's my only gripe with my R as well. It's great for the majority of my photography which is generally environmental. But we just got a new puppy a few months ago, and the R can't keep up with her. I'll probably upgrade to the R5 in a couple of years when the next version comes out and one can be had a bit cheaper. When she slows down though, the R and the 70-200 f/2.8 does a fantastic job!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0