New Firmware for EOS 5D Mark IV Coming Soon [CR2]

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
My apologies. I didn't realize 1DC did MJPEG. Got carried away with the h.264 and C-Log. I always thought C-Log was not possible with MJPEG. What you explained makes sense.

rrcphoto said:
goldenhusky said:
This makes a lot of sense, now please explain me how a camera with the following specs could do 4k (4096*2130) @ 24 fps

18.1 Megapixels CMOS sensor
14 FPS super high speed shooting
Proper 4k @ 24p
Full HD @ 60p
MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), variable bit rate
Dual DIGIC 5+ image processor
Note: No DV processor at all

C Log
Dust and weather resistant
DSLR size body
No forced cooling
No Heat vents
No overheating

did you read the MJPEG4 on the 4K? also the 1DC has a much bigger body and much larger area to do heatsinking and has nothing to do with providing h.264 for 4K like others were talking about and what you responded to. the entire point was some were saying h.264 4K is "merely" firmware and that canon could easily do it. well, no, canon can't as was described.

Tin foil hat area is over thataway, actually reading the post you are responding to .. those people can go thisaway.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Yes I meant 1DC. I didn't realize 1DC did MJPEG. My apologies. I meant 4096*2160 as proper 4K. I knew it was cropped but like I said in another post earlier I am OK with the crop.

tr573 said:
goldenhusky said:
This makes a lot of sense, now please explain me how a camera with the following specs could do 4k (4096*2130) @ 24 fps

Proper 4k @ 24p
Full HD @ 60p

C Log
DSLR size body
No forced cooling
No Heat vents
No overheating

and this was released almost 5 years ago

I'm assuming this is the 1Dc? Because it also does mjpeg for it's 4k, which means it's also using the image processing pipeline, same as the 5dIV and 1DX2. So what does "proper 4k" mean in this case? since it's exactly the same codec? Btw, it's also.. *drum roll please* cropped.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
hubie said:
You should probably make up your mind about your grandsons lens when the spot metering locked to focus point feature has finally been announced :D

yes of course... double check...for the unlikely bonus..
but the camera sells itself... to me.
I can say the feature of exp comp in manual/auto ISO...works on 5d4
I went to the photo store and did it myself... it works from Q-menu...
not sure how else... what other software path...

5d4 is quite a solid camera... and that says a lot sitting next to a 1Dx2 (or 1Dx1)

I was surprised how handy touch features were... also...

I really hope the spot meter is the new feature.. but I have doubts..

I am convinced on the 5d4 it is very good... Canon really has a menu system that is intuitive...
as a Canon user I walked right thru all kinds of investigations ...because the menus are so standard...

the sales guy - a nikon guy - also showed me some nice crop cameras ...like 7D2 equiv... which were very intuitive also... nikon is on it also..
man we have it all....

I guess one can start out 'lens driven' and go on from there.. either company...
I believe the canon lens stable is superior - but nikon has some real gems...

I should stay home and use my old dusty stuff more..haha....
as spring hits I plan to go out to find art in every brick... and face....and feather
it is there...waiting

thanks you all who gave me some answers..
and thanks to this forum for being the front line / cutting edge.

Tommylee

Upvote 0
goldenhusky said:
Yes I meant 1DC. I didn't realize 1DC did MJPEG. My apologies. I meant 4096*2160 as proper 4K. I knew it was cropped but like I said in another post earlier I am OK with the crop.

tr573 said:
goldenhusky said:

Proper 4k @ 24p
Full HD @ 60p

C Log
DSLR size body
No forced cooling
No Heat vents
No overheating

and this was released almost 5 years ago

I'm assuming this is the 1Dc? Because it also does mjpeg for it's 4k, which means it's also using the image processing pipeline, same as the 5dIV and 1DX2. So what does "proper 4k" mean in this case? since it's exactly the same codec? Btw, it's also.. *drum roll please* cropped.

The 5d IV also shoots 4k in dci4k resolution just like the 1dc. Not UHD which is slightly lower res

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
tr573 said:
Custom controls, you can assign a button to it to use outside of the q menu (that's how I have SET configured to do it in my video)

thanks you are such a help...i thought so...but had not the camera to play with....
its easy to get excited about toys.. i need to go slow....
i already want the 85 f1.4 i.s. so i must move slower..

thanks again for teaching me that bit.. i'll go play at the store a little and see how it goes.
....i like the touch screen a lot.. makes quick work of foces checking a shot..
great camera.. and 30 megs is jst right imo

Upvote 0
It needs FOCUS PEAKING in the firmware update!!!

Even 400 USD models from Panasonic do have it.
Canon cameras from 2008 do have it with free Magic Lantern software.

Focus peaking is essential for video AND manual focusing in photography.
It's a standard AND can be implemented through firmware.

Canon, you will sell not a single C100/300/700 less if you add that feature!!!

Upvote 0
A few months ago I attended a class with Joel Grimes at the Canon Learning Center in Costa Mesa and he was discussing how he uses the 3rd party Cam Ranger hardware to do ISO bracketing in fine art portraits. This technique allows you to combine studio flash set ups (mono lights w/soft boxes etc...) outdoors and do multiple exposures to composite into an HDR using flash and ambient together without bracketing the shutter speed or aperture to get your different exposures.
You could manually bracket the ISO but because that would slow you down your subject could move between shots and the Cam Ranger and a good mono light that recycles fast would allow you to shoot fast in bursts, also you could bump the camera.
Joel said he was speaking with Canon trying to get them to include this feature in a camera update so you could eliminate the need for extra 3rd party hardware. So while I was at the Learning Center I spoke to one of the Canon techs there and he confirmed what Joel said and and told me the were actually looking into it and that it was possible to implement it in a firmware update.
Soooo, long story short I'm really hoping that we will this feature as an update soon.
P.S. The reason you wouldn't bracket the aperture in this scenario is it would affect depth of field shot to shot on the portrait subject, and bracketing shutter speed would have no effect on the flash exposure. Also Joel was explaing when combing exposures for HDR with moment in the background (water, clouds, fabric, etc...) and bracketing the shutter speed creates inconsistent blur patterns/movement making compositing difficult to blend.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
rrcphoto said:
TommyLee said:
tr573 said:
TommyLee said:
tron said:
TommyLee said:
2. manual exposure comp
If you are talking about exp compensation in auto iso manual exposure mode (a feature that was introduced in 1Dx for the first time) then it exists on 7D2 and 5D4 (and I assume on 5Ds(R) and 1DxII).

hey wow...thanks..that sounds close to 1dx2 function...
so in manual / auto ISO....I can raise the exposure 1/3 stop at a time?.....
...lovely.....

where is my spot meter link?
this needs to be the new feature...
easy to add... to boost sales by one more camera body (me)

I need to find the box to the 5d3 to send to my grandson.. as soon as I see this feature work....
I tried to see a description in the digital picture review..could not find a comment on it...

so I can set manual exp in auto iso..
and raise or lower exposure comp like on my 1dx2?

I am getting interested...
if that fully functions like 1dx2 ....
then I HOPE spot meter is getting linked to focus point.. I am on the way to a 5d4... with this info

thanks for response... is it just like 1dx2?

not exactly because the smaller bodies don't have a dedicated exp comp button. so you need to assign a button (like SET) to do it. so when in M+AISO, i hold down set and spin the wheel to adjust EC.

I would have liked to have seen the description / comment in the digital picture review...
I have to see this feature work to finally believe it...

have you/anyone got a link to something like this?
thanks...

why wouldn't it? EC in manual has been making it's way through canon's lineup. the 7D2 and 80D both have it now if i recall - even the M3/M5 have it. it would have been odd if the 5D Mark IV did not.
Manual Exposure Auto ISO Exposure Compensation in 5D4 and 7D2 can be set as follows:

You can custom set the SET button to work as exp comp. So when in manual auto iso mode you press SET with one finger and the same time turn the upper wheel with another. Done! :)

Upvote 0