New Flash Coming in Early 2018, Aimed at Mirrorless Shooters [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told that the new flash <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/new-unreleased-canon-gear-has-appeared-for-certification/">that recently showed up for certification</a> will be geared towards smaller cameras and mirrorless shooters, but give prosumer level features.</p>

<p>The flash was supposed to be announced in the summer of 2017, but has been delayed for unknown reasons. We would expect it is going to be announced alongside the Canon EOS M50 in January or February of 2018.</p>
<p>The Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT is quite small, but it may not be small enough for some EOS M shooters.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
markazali said:
I would love a compact flash like the 270EX that includes a red focus assist beam rather than using flash strobe.
This plus a radio chip so it can be slave in the new radio remote control system. But video is a big thing so I suspect instead of a red it will be white LED so it can either be AF assist or general illumination (which is more 3xx size than 2xx).

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
First off, the built in flash on my M3 is actually very useful. Using your finger, you can even angle it up to bounce it off something. It is sufficiently off axis that I rarely get red-eye.

But I do tend to travel with a 270 EXII for the power. It would be great if a flash of similar size could pivot side to side (180 degrees) in addition to up.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
docsmith said:
First off, the built in flash on my M3 is actually very useful. Using your finger, you can even angle it up to bounce it off something. It is sufficiently off axis that I rarely get red-eye.

But I do tend to travel with a 270 EXII for the power. It would be great if a flash of similar size could pivot side to side (180 degrees) in addition to up.

+1 for a 270EXlll that swivels. Extra credit for RT functionality, though that's stretching it a bit.

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
docsmith said:

+1 for a 270EXlll that swivels. Extra credit for RT functionality, though that's stretching it a bit.

+100 for 270EX III-RT :). I would upgrade my 270EX II which I like for its size and weight for traveling.

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
Canon Rumors said:
The flash was supposed to be announced in the summer of 2017, but has been delayed for unknown reasons. We would expect it is going to be announced alongside the Canon EOS M50 in January or February of 2018.

Got the 90EX with the M but don't use it for that one since I have a FED OVF in the hotshoe. It works fine with my 1D2 though! My guess is that the delay might have some thing to do with that most of the smaller Ms don't have a hotshoe. This could be an indication that a M50 might have one! ;-))

Upvote 0