Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>…. and not a 1Ds update.</strong>

The contact mentioned an announcement for a new high end Canon camera would be coming in March. It will NOT be a 1Ds Mark IV by the sounds of it. The general consensus is it will be a 5D Mark II replacement or bigger brother.</p>
<p>The 5D Mark II turns 3 at the end of the summer 2011, there are a few bits of information that put a replacement before its 3rd birthday.</p>
<p>A few dealers have mentioned a significant slowdown in 5D Mark II sales. The same dealers said the D700 wasn’t selling well anymore either.</p>
<p>I will say pinning down exact announcement dates this far in advance is difficult.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
Re: New \

x-vision said:
It might be the 1DV - the first full-frame sports camera from Canon.

Some might say it's too early for the 1DIV to be replaced but, IMO, it will be replaced next year.
It's about time the 1.3x crop factor gets retired.

If you don't like the 1.3x crop then don't get yourself a ID series camera. If they do retire it a lot of people including myself who have been using the 1D series for years will be very unhappy. I love my Mark 4 and couldn't ask for a more ideal camera for myself in todays's technology. I do hope that they introduce a full frame camera with a faster frame rate. I have no interest in one, but it will keep the whiners quiet.

Upvote 0
F

Flake

There's something about a 5D MkIII before the 1Ds that just doesn't sit right. The current 1Ds is probably not as good as the 5D MkII in terms of absolute image quality, if a 5D MKIII comes out then many photographers will buy it, because then it will far eclipse the 1Ds MkIII and be Canons top camera. Inevitably this will take away from sales of the flagship model when it is released. If the release was the other way around Photographers would have a choice of a brand new flagship model which outperforms every other camera in the range, and for those who can afford it, there's no other real option but to buy it. A 5D MkIII give the chance for those unable to afford the 1Ds price to buy into something close (probably the same sensor I can't see Canon developing two different FF ones).

Having said that Canons marketing department have made some spectacular howlers in the past!

I terms of sales of 5D MKII and D700, both models are a little long in the tooth, but in todays economic climate it's hardly surprising that people are not spending big bucks on what many would see as a luxury.

Upvote 0

Flake said:
There's something about a 5D MkIII before the 1Ds that just doesn't sit right. The current 1Ds is probably not as good as the 5D MkII in terms of absolute image quality, if a 5D MKIII comes out then many photographers will buy it, because then it will far eclipse the 1Ds MkIII and be Canons top camera. Inevitably this will take away from sales of the flagship model when it is released. If the release was the other way around Photographers would have a choice of a brand new flagship model which outperforms every other camera in the range, and for those who can afford it, there's no other real option but to buy it. A 5D MkIII give the chance for those unable to afford the 1Ds price to buy into something close (probably the same sensor I can't see Canon developing two different FF ones).

Having said that Canons marketing department have made some spectacular howlers in the past!

I terms of sales of 5D MKII and D700, both models are a little long in the tooth, but in todays economic climate it's hardly surprising that people are not spending big bucks on what many would see as a luxury.

They can still differentiate based on weather sealing, dual card slots and possibly fps, with the 5Diii getting more and better MPs, much better AF and metering and continuous autofocus, plus some other video stuff.

Upvote 0

rbr said:
x-vision said:
It might be the 1DV - the first full-frame sports camera from Canon.

Some might say it's too early for the 1DIV to be replaced but, IMO, it will be replaced next year.
It's about time the 1.3x crop factor gets retired.

If you don't like the 1.3x crop then don't get yourself a ID series camera. If they do retire it a lot of people including myself who have been using the 1D series for years will be very unhappy. I love my Mark 4 and couldn't ask for a more ideal camera for myself in todays's technology. I do hope that they introduce a full frame camera with a faster frame rate. I have no interest in one, but it will keep the whiners quiet.

Isn't that a little bit narrow minded? What do you expect in the next model, that they will put even tinier sensels in it, making it even worse from high ISO viewpoint? Do not even imagine, that Canon will NOT increase MP with the next 1D iteration.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

If it's 21 mpx then I'm fine. I don't want lower resolution though. 21mpx full frame files do not overwhelm in anyway. I'd prefer around 30. I guess if you want lower rez files in a full frame camera you should look at the 1Ds2 or even the Nikon D700.

J-Man said:
I sure hope Canon finally releases a 3D, 15-21MP, 8fps, more dynamic range, less noise, 1Ds series AF, customization up the wazoo.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.