Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2010
icekendi said:
Guys get real. The 50L 1.2 was released on 2006, Its very unlikely to be updated.

Now for the 35L and 135L, its about time.

yes. the 135 was excellent when it was first released, but compared to the new 70-200 f/2.8 L II you can tell it's getting long in the tooth. when a supposedly excellent prime lens falls behind a zoom lens, no matter how excellent a zoom lens, it's a signal that it's time to start reworking the prime lens.

a 135 f/2 L IS would be awesome, but I'd take a new 135 f/2 without IS on it

Upvote 0
kubelik said:
icekendi said:
Guys get real. The 50L 1.2 was released on 2006, Its very unlikely to be updated.

yes. the 135 was excellent when it was first released, but compared to the new 70-200 f/2.8 L II you can tell it's getting long in the tooth. when a supposedly excellent prime lens falls behind a zoom lens, no matter how excellent a zoom lens, it's a signal that it's time to start reworking the prime lens.

Just wondering where you think it falls short? I think the 135 is pretty amazing TBH, sharp and with superb bokeh. I could see the advantage in an IS version, but that's about it.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
studio1972 said:
kubelik said:
icekendi said:

Just wondering where you think it falls short? I think the 135 is pretty amazing TBH, sharp and with superb bokeh. I could see the advantage in an IS version, but that's about it.

not saying it falls short, just saying that, compared to canon's latest zoom lenses, it doesn't have the same level of sharpness. still an excellent lens, but it's clear canon now has the technology to make it even better.

Upvote 0
Re: Manufacturing Issues

hmmm said:
Could you elaborate on the "well known" production issues at the new plant? Is this the plant that Canon started in Taiwan? What are the issues? The only thing I recall seeing is that because of the world financial situation, the plant was being brought up to speed more slowly than originally planned. Are there other problems as well? Just curious about the situation...

Regarding the plant in Taiwan, here's a report in a local financial magazine about it (in Chinese):

http://mag.chinatimes.com/mag-cnt.aspx?artid=6425

According to this article, 70-80 percent of Canon's interchangeable lens are assembled by Canon Taiwan (really?), which translates into orders of roughly 3.3 million lens elements for local OEM firm per month for 2010. Canon estimates the order to grow to 9.9 million by the end of 3 years...

Alright, maybe there is a production crisis here *shrug*

Upvote 0
T

tzalmagor

kubelik said:
not saying it falls short, just saying that, compared to canon's latest zoom lenses, it doesn't have the same level of sharpness. still an excellent lens, but it's clear canon now has the technology to make it even better.

Having the technology is one thing, having the resources & interest (= making the mkII would be more profitable than not making the mkII) is another issue.

I'm going to buy the EF 8-15mm when it comes out. After that, my savings will most probably go elsewhere. E.g. Nikon seems to have a sane resolution policy, and Sigma seem to start making good lenses - reviewers seem to like the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 very much, even when compared to the EF 85mm f/1.8 & f/1.2

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: Manufacturing Issues

ronderick said:
According to this article, 70-80 percent of Canon's interchangeable lens are assembled by Canon Taiwan (really?)

I think 70-80% of lenses being manufactured in Taiwan seems quite reasonable. I'd bet vast majority of lenses Canon sells are lenses that cost less than $250 - the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, the EF-S 55-250mm, the EF 75-300mm III, and maybe the EF 50mm f/1.8, all of which are presumably made in Taiwan. Why that should spill over into a delay in the production of L lenses at the factory in Japan does not make sense to me, though.

Upvote 0
Hello, I have just registered here although have been following this site for quite some time.
About a new L prime, well, I don't know if this helps. I've put an order on 200mm 1:2.8L II since October, the shop said they put the order back in November. But up until I write this post, no news about the lens.

Oh, I live somewhere around SE Asia, in case someone asks.
Thank you, and sorry for my bad English.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
telephonic said:
Hello, I have just registered here although have been following this site for quite some time.
About a new L prime, well, I don't know if this helps. I've put an order on 200mm 1:2.8L II since October, the shop said they put the order back in November. But up until I write this post, no news about the lens.

I suspect it's a local/regional issue. Major retailers in the USA, Canada, the UK, and Europe all have the lens in stock. Sorry for your long wait!

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
telephonic said:

Oh, I live somewhere around SE Asia, in case someone asks.
Thank you, and sorry for my bad English.

Canon manufacturers lenses like these in Batches. If the Canon warehouse that serves your area is out of stock, then you will have to wait for a new batch.

Upvote 0
scalesusa said:
Canon manufacturers lenses like these in Batches. If the Canon warehouse that serves your area is out of stock, then you will have to wait for a new batch.

Ah, I see. I ended up buying one used just yesterday. The previous owner admitted that the lens was so rare even an the time he bought it (precisely a year ago).

Maybe I'm just lost in the zoom lens era. ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.