Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>70-300 f/4-5.6L IS</strong>

At <a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_new_lenses.html">NL</a>, they’ve been told not to expect it until the end of December in Sweden. It doesn’t look like it’ll be under most trees for the holiday season in North America.</p>
<p><strong>8-15 f/4L Fisheye</strong>

There’s been nothing to contradict the original release date of January 2011.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>300 f/2.8L IS II & 400 f/2.8L IS II</strong>

These two lenses will also be available in 2011.</p>
<p><strong>New Camera Image?</strong>

Over at <a href="http://photorumors.com/2010/10/25/is-this-a-new-canon-camera/">PR</a> there’s an image of a Canon DSLR body. There is a claim it could be a new Canon body.</p>
<p>As far as I know you cannot use a branded camera strap with a prototype body. I don’t think anyone would be shocked to know new pro bodies are being tested.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong>

T

that1guy

SMP_Homer said:
nothing in those images tells me we're looking at something for the 1st time...
I don't even see that we can tell this is a 1D-type body - could very well be a 5D2

I'd have to agree with you. I just looked at comparison photos of the backs of the 1D and the 1Ds and I don't believe it is either of the current versions of those cameras. Little things like the viewfinder and the body shape around the little joystick thing in the back.

I can't as easily say that it isn't a 5D mkII though. If I had to guess at a current camera I would say that one. I would also guess that if it was a new camera, it was a 5D (or similar) replacement, not a 1D series. I'm basing that mostly on the viewfinder and how little it sticks out toward the back.

I also find it interesting as CRGuy said, that they were using a Canon branded shoulder strap, but were then going to all the trouble to put it in that ridiculous box...like it wouldn't attract any attention that way ;)

Upvote 0
70-300 f/4-5.6L IS Does anybody really care if this lens is ever released?

The 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS seems to reflect Canon's current thinking. An overpriced kit lens that is painted white to wow the n00b fanboys. They already have four lenses in this category, starting with the $199.99 EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III and ending with the $1,399.00 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 DO IS USM. Is there any real need for the 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS, except Canon's need for profit?

I bought a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II USM for one of my sons in 1996. Great lens, especially for the money. He's shot it with film (B&W neg, color neg and slides) and digital, and so have I. Its been used with a EOS REBEL XS (film), Elan7n (film), 20D and 40D. Its been used to shoot high school sports, skate boarding, snow boarding, car and motorcycle racing, surfing, etc, etc. Never been disappointed with the results. Photos taken with this lens have been published in magazines. If you want to spend a lot more to get a little more go ahead and do it, Canon' bean counters will love you.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
c.d.embrey said:
70-300 f/4-5.6L IS Does anybody really care if this lens is ever released?

The 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS seems to reflect Canon's current thinking. An overpriced kit lens that is painted white to wow the n00b fanboys. They already have four lenses in this category, starting with the $199.99 EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III and ending with the $1,399.00 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 DO IS USM. Is there any real need for the 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS, except Canon's need for profit?

I bought a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II USM for one of my sons in 1996. Great lens, especially for the money. He's shot it with film (B&W neg, color neg and slides) and digital, and so have I. Its been used with a EOS REBEL XS (film), Elan7n (film), 20D and 40D. Its been used to shoot high school sports, skate boarding, snow boarding, car and motorcycle racing, surfing, etc, etc. Never been disappointed with the results. Photos taken with this lens have been published in magazines. If you want to spend a lot more to get a little more go ahead and do it, Canon' bean counters will love you.

this has already been discussed in the thread from the release announcement of the lens.

yes, people care. I'm surprised you were happy with the results from the 75-300, my wife has it as well and is probably the worst performing lens we have between the two of us, from what I've seen Sigma's budget 70-300 APO DG Macro outperforms it handily. having a weathersealed 70-300 that only weighs in at 1 kilo is pretty good, and from the MTFs this lens is going to be really excellent.

in my mind this is actually a replacement to the DO due to the fact that the technology never quite lived up to the hype; yes, the DO lenses were smaller than the equivalent but the loss of contrast and increased cost were hard to get over. this promises to be the $1.5K 70-300 zoom lens that the DO should have been.

everybody agrees that canon's 70-whatever lineup is wildly crowded, and I suspect they will start dropping old lenses off the website soon; they are probably waiting until those finish their runs and the production of the new ones ramp up before culling the herd

Upvote 0
J

Justin

It speaks poorly about Canon that they announce lenses in August 10 and can't deliver them till Jan 11. Meanwhile they announced two other lenses that were slated to go to retail in 11, the 500 and 600 refreshes. Will these now be delivered in 2012? So this means that Canon released exactly one, yes that's right, ONE, lens in 2010, way back at the beginning on January. Just WOW....

Sad year for Canon from an end user's perspective if you ask me.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
justin, the failure to ramp up production + distribution is pretty disheartening. maybe the engineers bit off more than they could chew, but senior leadership didn't want to show up at Photokina and the Canon Expo empty-handed...

makes me wonder if the rumor about 2011 being the "year of the lens" is a misnomer, as the 2011 'releases' are actually all delayed product from 2010

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
the failure to ramp up production + distribution is pretty disheartening

I'm pretty surprised at the delay for the 70-300mm. It's been listed on the Adorama website for quite some time (with a "not in stock yet" footnote). I tend to cut Canon quite a bit of slack, but it does seem odd that there would be such a long time between announcement and availability.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
unfocused said:
the failure to ramp up production + distribution is pretty disheartening

I'm pretty surprised at the delay for the 70-300mm. It's been listed on the Adorama website for quite some time (with a "not in stock yet" footnote). I tend to cut Canon quite a bit of slack, but it does seem odd that there would be such a long time between announcement and availability.
It is just a rumor. Going back a few weeks TDP posted (Oct 7) that they'd be shipping at the end of October (which now appears to be wrong). Who knows? ???
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/Default.aspx?Year=2010&Month=10

Upvote 0
kubelik said:
... I'm surprised you were happy with the results from the 75-300, my wife has it as well and is probably the worst performing lens we have between the two of us, ...

There is more to photography than pixel peeping. Neither of us ever shot pictures of brick walls, just action sports. I've had a few landscape half pages in magazines with this lens. Whats not to like?

Last time I used the 75-300mm was on a 40D at a Western Surfing Association contest in January 2008. I shot off the pier for about an hour, and got several shots that made good 8x10 and 12x18 prints. Normally I use either a 300mm f2.8 or 400mm f2.8, mounted on a Wimberley II gimbal head, for my long lens work.

Remember good photos have nothing to do with ultimate sharpness, barrel or pincushion. It's all about the response that the photo evokes.

BTW I bought the Wimberley gimbal head in 2006, and it was one of the best investments I've made in photo gear. Check-it-out http://www.tripodhead.com/products/wimberley-main.cfm

Upvote 0
J

Justin

I had the same thought friend. I had the same thought...

2011 will be the year of lenses because there will be 4 leftovers from 2010! Who knows about the extenders? Anyone? I have had the 2x III on order since a week from the announcement in August. Add the 500 and 600 refreshes and we're already up to 8 lenses.

I just can't get over how bad a year 2010 was for Canon owners looking for more from Canon's lens lineup. So now instead of feeling badly about the missing and not-announced lenses like the 24-70 IS, 14-24 2.8 impossibility, 35 1.4 II and other fast primes no-shows (think 85 1.4 IS, 135 1.8 IS), we suffer the indignity of actual announced lenses failing to launch. Feels like Nikon. A few of their lens announcements took a year to show up in stores a couple years back.

drama

kubelik said:
justin, the failure to ramp up production + distribution is pretty disheartening. maybe the engineers bit off more than they could chew, but senior leadership didn't want to show up at Photokina and the Canon Expo empty-handed...

makes me wonder if the rumor about 2011 being the "year of the lens" is a misnomer, as the 2011 'releases' are actually all delayed product from 2010

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Where in my post was there any indication of the "grass being greener" somewhere else?

Canon continues to dump money into camera bodies and the lens r&d is probably 3-4 years behind. I want to get the most out of my 5D2 and I don't want to invest in technology that is slated for replacement.

I'm simply pointing out that Canon released ONE lens in 2010. Sad facts stand on their own partner.

SMP_Homer said:
Justin said:
I just can't get over how bad a year 2010 was for Canon owners looking for more from Canon's lens lineup.

Canon already has the best lineup - in this case, the grass isn't greener on the other side!
If/When new lenses get announced and released, it's only making the lineup stronger and deeper...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Justin said:
I'm simply pointing out that Canon released ONE lens in 2010.

Now, now...don't be hasty. 2010 is not over yet. Canon promised availability of the new 70-300mm f/4-5.6L in "late October". Ok, so it's the 27th and the lens shows no signs of showing up in stores anytime soon. But you have to admit that technically there is a possibility - however infinitesimal - that Canon might, just might, release a second lens this year.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.