New Lens Availability & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DetlevCM

To be honest that image looks exactly like a 5D MK II to me.

I have one - so I'm supposed to know how it looks.

I can be wrong - as the 1D does look similar - but even comparing to mine, the eyecup with the little dioptre wheel looks pretty much exactly like my MK II.

And size itself isn't conclusive either as you can put a battery grip onto your MK II - or say a Wi-Fi grip.

The fact that the camera is "in a box" doesn't mean that much - he might be shooting on a movie set.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Is it possible that they are actually testing a new blimp and not a new camera? ;) :p

My point being this could be any number of scenarios.

That said, looking at it until my eyes went a little :eek: the top buttons don't seem to be similar to any of current cameras. There appear to only be two buttons at the top with no "AF ON" button/text of the current 1D/1Ds/5DII plus the two buttons seem close together and a little further from the edge of the camera. Granted that could just be the angle the picture was taken, but it really only looks like two buttons up there with blue text beneath them.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Haste makes waste. ;)

In other news...

Come on guys! there is no new camera here.

This is a weird thread. Too many disparate items.

neuroanatomist said:
Justin said:
I'm simply pointing out that Canon released ONE lens in 2010.

Now, now...don't be hasty. 2010 is not over yet. Canon promised availability of the new 70-300mm f/4-5.6L in "late October". Ok, so it's the 27th and the lens shows no signs of showing up in stores anytime soon. But you have to admit that technically there is a possibility - however infinitesimal - that Canon might, just might, release a second lens this year.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Neuro, what do you think comes after T2i?

60D?

neuroanatomist said:
Justin said:
I'm simply pointing out that Canon released ONE lens in 2010.

Now, now...don't be hasty. 2010 is not over yet. Canon promised availability of the new 70-300mm f/4-5.6L in "late October". Ok, so it's the 27th and the lens shows no signs of showing up in stores anytime soon. But you have to admit that technically there is a possibility - however infinitesimal - that Canon might, just might, release a second lens this year.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
This is a weird thread. Too many disparate items.

Agreed!

Come on guys! there is no new camera here.

Also agreed. Nothing about these images gives me any reason to think it's anything other than someone shooting stills on a film or video set. If you were shooting with a new model and wanted to conceal that fact, the easy thing to do would be to just cover up the model number on the front. Hiding in plain site and not drawing attention to yourself would be more effective than walking around with a giant box around your neck.

I think too many people are either bored or desperate for a Canon body.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

No, your status in this forum based on number of posts. You have about more posts than anyone.

neuroanatomist said:
Justin said:
Neuro, what do you think comes after T2i?

60D?

As in what will Canon release next? I dunno - T3i? Or, what to upgrade to if you are looking to do so and have the T2i? In that case, 7D, definitely.

Upvote 0
SMP_Homer said:
Canon already has the best lineup - in this case, the grass isn't greener on the other side!
If/When new lenses get announced and released, it's only making the lineup stronger and deeper...

Do they?

i like short primes, and there lots of good short primes not made by Canon. BTW I use an APS-C camera, so I'm always interested in small and light EF-S primes (22mm f1.8, 30mm f1.8 should already exist)).

Pentax has these (APS-C): 15mm f4, 21mm f3.2, 31mm f1.8 (FF), 40mm f2.8, 43mm f1.9 (FF).

Nikon has (APS-C): 10.5 full frame fisheye and 35mm f1.8.

BTW Pentax makes a 17-70mm f4 that is mentioned as being on some peoples wish list and a lightweight 300mm f4 as well.

Pigs will be flying over snow banks in Hell before Canon makes the above lenses.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
c.d., I am assuming you're talking about high quality, affordable wide primes, correct?

canon has high quality wide primes but they're all L-series glass and priced according.

canon has affordable wide primes but they're all decades old and underperformers optically and AF-wise.

looking at the lineup you feel like you're staring at a football side where half the team plays for Premiership and the other half are 4-year-olds

Upvote 0
F

Flake

It's true to say that Pentax's prime lenses are quite good, but then they only produce APS-C cameras.

Nikon has a 10.5mm Fisheye, but it's a DX one and can't be used on FF (Unless you set the camera to DX), Canon has two including a revolutionary zoom, but they're for FF and don't produce the same effect on APS-C. Nikon produced the 35mm prime, and it really hit the fan when they launched it, on the Nikon forums where most people wanted a FF lens.

As for a 22mm lens, I don't think anyone produces that non standard focal length, 20mm & 24mm maybe? Nikon does one of each at f/2.8 and an N glass version at f/1.4. Canon does the same so what is the point you're making about Canon? A lens for FF performs better on an APC-C than an EF-s does.

You're not likely to see a 30mm prime, because 35mm gives the same FOV as a 50mm on FF which is the reason why Nikon launched their version, you say you want f/1.8 but the current version is f/2.0 just a half a stop from what you are asking for, is that such a deal breaker?

Upvote 0
kubelik said:
c.d., I am assuming you're talking about high quality, affordable wide primes, correct?

canon has high quality wide primes but they're all L-series glass and priced according.

canon has affordable wide primes but they're all decades old and underperformers optically and AF-wise.

looking at the lineup you feel like you're staring at a football side where half the team plays for Premiership and the other half are 4-year-olds

That's right, high quality like the EF-S 10-22mm and the EF-S 60mm macro. I'll never use heavy L lenses. Doesn't make any sense to me, the reason i use an APS-C camera is weight, not price. Some L lenses like the 85mm f1.2 weigh 36.2 oz (lens only), that's more than a 7D 28.9 oz (body only). Also an APS-C is enough quality for the work I do. if it wasn't I'd use a FF camera.

Upvote 0
Flake said:
It's true to say that Pentax's prime lenses are quite good, but then they only produce APS-C cameras.

But I (and many others) use APS-C cameras.

Nikon has a 10.5mm Fisheye, but it's a DX one and can't be used on FF (Unless you set the camera to DX), ...

Once again, many people don't use FF cameras. If I shot Nikon, I'd use a D300s not a D700.

Nikon produced the 35mm prime, and it really hit the fan when they launched it, on the Nikon forums where most people wanted a FF lens.

Yeah, but the owners of DX bodies bought them. BTW have you seen the new Nikon 35mm f1.4 for the FX user? Nikon looks after both DX and FX user, why can't Canon?

As for a 22mm lens, I don't think anyone produces that non standard focal length, 20mm & 24mm maybe?

For Canon APS-C users 22mm x 1.6 equals 35.2mm, a standard size for all 35mm film/FF digital cameras. Most of the time I use my 10-22mm zoom it's at 22mm, that why I'd like a faster 22mm prime.

You're not likely to see a 30mm prime, because 35mm gives the same FOV as a 50mm on FF which is the reason why Nikon launched their version, ...

For Canon users 30mm x 1.6 equals 48mm, 35mm x 1.6 equals 56mm. I'd prefer 48mm to 56mm for a standard lens. BTW A 50mm lens' focal length is closest to the 43.2 mm diagonal of the 35 mm camera's 24 x 36 mm frame. So 43.2 mm, not 50mm, is what standard really should be. Maybe that's why Pentax made the smc PENTAX FA 43mm F1.9 Limited for their 35mm film cameras.

For Nikon 35mm x 1.5 equals 52.5mm. In the past Nikon made 55mm f1.2 and 58mm f1.2 standard lenses as well as 50mm f1.4/f1.8 ... so 52.5mm fits in the middle of their standard grouping.

you say you want f/1.8 but the current version is f/2.0 just a half a stop from what you are asking for, is that such a deal breaker?

Most of my work is done using Profoto studio strobes and I set the lens at f5.6 up, often f16 when using the TS-C 90mm f2.8 for table top. But I'm sure many Canon APS-C shooter would fell short changed at f2.0, 'cause Nikon cares enough to make a 35mm 1.8.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.