New Lightroom very slow - advice needed?

Hi Guys!

I´ve updated Lightroom on the newest version (not the cloud one), and it told me, that it is much faster.
But on our Personal Computer (i7700, 32GB, 1070 GTX card), it slows down.
It takes about 3 hours to import 1500 shots in Raw (5DIV) and generare 1:1 previews. More than twice the time, the older verson needed.
Lightroom uses the Grafic-card, has 200GB of Camera Raw cache on an fast SSD.

What can I change that it gets faster?

Thanks
Daniela

Jul 19, 2016
daniela said:
Hi Guys!

I´ve updated Lightroom on the newest version (not the cloud one), and it told me, that it is much faster.
It takes about 3 hours to import 1500 shots in Raw (5DIV) and generare 1:1 previews. More than twice the time, the older verson needed.

Thanks
Daniela

I don't believe Adobe have improved performance in this fashion. Try using 'Julieanne Kost's' new workflow to cull the images first, then build the 1:1 previews. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVjXQXywM4. Using this method will reduce the amount of time required to 'only' 1:1 preview images that you intend to enhance.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
daniela said:
Hi Guys!

Thanks
Daniela

I added about 50,000 files that were not in my catalog, and it did seem slow. It was a one time deal, but took several hours, and the files were already on a fast hard drive. I've been using the CC and the classic version, trying to figure out a workflow for using CC in my studio where I capture images, and Classic in my office where I edit and print. CC does not print, and my large printer is in my studio, so that is another complication. Its going to take some time for me to actually settle into a new workflow if I decide to use CC. Since I can only install on 2 pc's, thats another limitation, I'd like to use cc on 2 pc's and classic on two others.

I'm not sure that Adobe advertised faster importing, but did mention speeding up editing, and the front end portion of importing where you select images is indeed faster, but the actual import process??

Here is what they advertised.

Extensive performance improvements Experience faster performance when you launch the app, generate previews, switch from Develop to Library Module, move sliders and brushes, and more.Faster image selection Begin image selection faster on import with the improved Embedded Preview workflow

Upvote 0