New major firmware for the Canon EOS R should arrive soon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Getting information on new firmware updates ahead of time has always been a very big challenge. I assume most firmware development has a soft release date because rushing firmware is never in the best interest of customers.
We’re told that a major functionality firmware update for the Canon EOS R should arrive sometime in the first quarter of 2019. What makes the update “major” and what sort of features are going to be added were not disclosed. It was mentioned that user and media feedback is going to play a major role in future updates for the Canon EOS R and other EOS R bodies.
The source did say that it’s possible a minor bugfix firmware update will precede the major release.
More to come…
The Canon EOS R is available at Adorama

Continue reading...

I'm going to guess at a minimum an overhaul of the touch sensor so it's more consistent in it's use. And more re-programability for assigning buttons more functions.

I'd be curious to see if a good chunk of the new SDK and corresponding API announced for the Canon PowerShot SX70 HS will also come to the Canon R. It seems like this would be mostly a no brainer in most all of canon's future releases. If the API is fast enough you could see some very interesting ipad programs written, especially for landscape or studio photographers. In addition while the SDK is available now, the corresponding new API isn't being released until March, which might coincide with this major firmware release.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
wonder if they can add that joystick and extra card slot ;))

kidding... more af cases would be nice to have, and the option to assign a specific button to a very specific AF method (like the 5d4 can). And of course eye AF using servo.

furthermore, the rumour implies that Canon is actually doing something with this feedback, and I sincerely hope that they apply this to future R bodies too, because some things I think can't be fixed right now (physical button placement of several buttons, mentioned multicontroller,, touch bar?) but could be improved for future models

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You know, despite all the negative press the R received I keep coming back to it as a great potential backup/secondary camera to my 5D IV.
I got it for exactly that reason, traded in my 5Diii. It's a wonderful camera despite all you read to the contrary. Yeah it's not perfect, but it I wish people would stay on the learning curve awhile before posting their damnations.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I own a EOS-R since s a few weeks and start loving it. I get used to the Touch & Drag AF but still miss the joystick some times. The main issue for me is the slow FPs in Servo Mode cmpared to One_Shot. Maybe this get a little better with the new firnware ? fyi: I programmed the MFn Bar to Low ISO (left), Auto Iso (right) and raising ISO (sliding the bar). It works if you get used to it but it is not perfect i think. Sometimes you press / touch a couple of times before Auo ISO is set but i'm getting better with it with the time. I programmed the lens control ring to exposure compensation and use it on the adapter with control ring for my EF lenses. Like that a lot. I mainly purchased it for the 50mm 1.2 honestly and added a grip immediatley - i'm not too much interested in a "small" body. Compared to my 5D4 it does not add a lot and to be honest i would not absolutely need it - but i wanted the 50 1.2 and also wanted to start with the new system.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Moving the AF point on the R with the touchscreen is far faster than any joystick.
For me, I would like more customization options on the buttons. The ones they have are not ones I use much but a toggle for exposure simulation would be wonderful.
Also, independent control ring functions dependent on the mode such as exp comp in AV or TV but aperture in M without pressing another button.

Other improvements may occur to me but overall the camera is a real winner for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The main issue for me is the slow FPs in Servo Mode cmpared to One_Shot. Maybe this get a little better with the new firnware ?

I wouldn't count on it :/ The fact is, DPAF is great, but that and also updating the EVF image means moving a lot of data from the sensor and processing it. I expect it takes an eventual dual-processor R body to get a faster burst rate with Servo AF.

Upvote 0
Moving the AF point on the R with the touchscreen is far faster than any joystick.
For me, I would like more customization options on the buttons. The ones they have are not ones I use much but a toggle for exposure simulation would be wonderful.
Also, independent control ring functions dependent on the mode such as exp comp in AV or TV but aperture in M without pressing another button.

Other improvements may occur to me but overall the camera is a real winner for me.

I don't own an R yet (waiting for next level up), but I can say definitively that I miss the touchscreen AF point control from the M series as I use 5D4s. Once you are able to whip the focus point around so quickly at will, you don't want to go back. I think people who need to rapidly move the point from one side of the screen to another recognize this, but lots of people are just poking the AF point one or two notches in a direction, and a joystick might feel more positively controlled for those folks. This might explain the diverging preferences. I certainly hope that a pro model in the future doesn't go joystick at the expense of touchscreen AF point control!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Do people really find it needed to add eye-AF? I haven’t had a single fail to focus on the eye with just the box over the face anyway, at f1.2...

Needed? No. Want it? YES! If we are talking about needed features, our old camera already exceed our photographic abilities.

EyeAF allow us to work faster and concentrate on other aspect of photography in wedding/engagement/portrait (lighting, posing, composition, etc). It would be amazing to take picture of kids. Joystick and touch AF isn't fast enough to focus on moving kid.

Just because you don't use it doesn't mean other people don't want it.

EOS R eyeAF definitely need the FW. It's isn't as fast as Sony and focus single focus. It really trailed behind Sony eyeAF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0