New major firmware for the Canon EOS R should arrive soon

Dec 13, 2010
It's limited to single shot not continuous eye detect AF. With kids, it's spray and pray if they are running to get the best expression. I can think of scenarios that's useful for wedding works. If you are satisfy with the way things are, you don't need this. No need to explain to me who used this close to a month. It doesn't need my need yet.

I only need 7 FPS at most for my style of shoot, but I know plenty of sport photographer than want 1DXII FPS to shoot sport. Should I tell them why they need more than 7 FPS?
Face detect is not limited to One shot or single shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I've been thru firmware updates for my cameras for almost 20 years. I have learned not to expect major changes. The biggest one was for my 7D, and it really never added anything I needed.

The firmware update for the original M made autofocus a lot faster and almost usable.

Upvote 0
Moving the AF point on the R with the touchscreen is far faster than any joystick.

Question - and I don't mean to be troll, I'm seriously interested.

Since we have winter season, many R owners should already have opportunity to use their cameras when temperatures outsides are a lot bellow 0C/32F. So how good / fast is selecting AF point on R when you wear gloves?

Edit: And when we come to these weird questions. Is there any R owner who is strongly left eye dominant and like / must use left eye while using viewfinder? How is touchscreen AF comfortable in that case? Aren't you touching touchscreen with your nose exactly at the place where are you supposed selecting AF points?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried using gloves with touch-screen tips but didnt have much luck during some day treks over Christmas. Not sure if those gloves are just old or the screen isnt picking up the pressure. Reverted to centre point and recomposing. In fact in some trekking instances I would prefer to stash the screen away for protection. Oh how I miss eye-controlled focusing on my EOS 3!

Upvote 0
I wouldn't count on it :/ The fact is, DPAF is great, but that and also updating the EVF image means moving a lot of data from the sensor and processing it. I expect it takes an eventual dual-processor R body to get a faster burst rate with Servo AF.

Actually, the 1 series (at least the last two iterations, the 1dx and the mark II) have had *3* processors. A dual processor, plus a dedicated, slightly older processor often dedicated to metering. This has been Canon's answer to its processor and throughput limitations in the past, but this might be less practical in a heat- and energy/battery- limited environment like a mirrorless camera.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Actually, the 1 series (at least the last two iterations, the 1dx and the mark II) have had *3* processors.

Yes, indeed. I was thinking more 5Ds or 7D2 style dual DIGIC which would likely help quite a bit—assuming it's not sensor readout speed that's the bottleneck (and it might actually well be. A DSLR has three dedicated sensors for three different operations (AF, metering, imaging), but a mirrorless has to work with one.)

Upvote 0
You don't have to take my word for it. Just check out a bunch of YouTube videos regarding Canon eyeAF. I'm just sharing my experience vs my brief experience with Sony A7III, A9, and A7RIII.

It isn't about what YOU and I can do. This is about technology making things easier for us to concentrate on photographic process.

It's silly to say you can do this and that so you don't need this feature. It's same argument for AF lens vs manual lens, TTL vs manual, Sony's eyeAF vs Canon AF.

If you think you don't think you don't need it, move along. You don't need to convince me. My experience of Canon eyeAF is there are huge room for improvement and it's trailed behind Sony's eyeAF just like Sony is trailing behind Canon's DPAF.

I'll take advantage whatever technology offer to me for my NEED.

You must have had a bad day or why are you so angry on me ? I never questioned that Sony'S Eye-AF may be better than someone else's Eye-AF - i just never use it. And what would do a great Eye AF on a Sony for me if i had to use a body with terrible ergonomics ? I'm a professional child photographer by the way - earning 80% of my money from doing child photography - about 1000 kids per year. Never had to use eye AF - that's all i wanted to say - eye AF in general (no matter which camera brand) is overrated. I can only smile about the " i can concentrate on other things in photography if usinge Eye AF."

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Can any one help me as to why I cannot get the level to show on my screen?
It's the only problem I have.
Well, you don't describe what you tried already, but did you check pages 397 and 398 from the user guide? Specifically page 398 tells you how to hide the electronic level, maybe you accidentally switched it off?

Upvote 0
Is there any R owner who is strongly left eye dominant and like / must use left eye while using viewfinder? How is touchscreen AF comfortable in that case? Aren't you touching touchscreen with your nose exactly at the place where are you supposed selecting AF points?

Today my colleague tried my EOS R and he (is left handed and) has a dominant left eye. And you guessed right, he kept changing the AF-point with his nose. Very annoying. But then we changed the settings in such a way that he should use the left-hand side of the screen to select the AF-point. Then he repositioned his left hand in such a way that he could use his left thumb for selecting the AF-point. It took some learning time, but after a while this was just as easy for him as it had been for me, using my right thumb.
Depending on the size of your face/nose, your nose will always touch the same position on the screen. In the settings you can choose various areas of the screen so you can always find a range that doesn't interfere with your nose.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Question - and I don't mean to be troll, I'm seriously interested.

Since we have winter season, many R owners should already have opportunity to use their cameras when temperatures outsides are a lot bellow 0C/32F. So how good / fast is selecting AF point on R when you wear gloves?

Edit: And when we come to these weird questions. Is there any R owner who is strongly left eye dominant and like / must use left eye while using viewfinder? How is touchscreen AF comfortable in that case? Aren't you touching touchscreen with your nose exactly at the place where are you supposed selecting AF points?

Using the type of gloves I use all winter, I have no issues with the touch screen on the EOS R. The same gloves are useless with the iPhone.

The gloves I use is meant for activity, so they aren’t the thickest and warmest. I never use thicker gloves, so I wouldn’t know when you get issues due to gloves on the R.

Upvote 0
You must have had a bad day or why are you so angry on me ? I never questioned that Sony'S Eye-AF may be better than someone else's Eye-AF - i just never use it. And what would do a great Eye AF on a Sony for me if i had to use a body with terrible ergonomics ? I'm a professional child photographer by the way - earning 80% of my money from doing child photography - about 1000 kids per year. Never had to use eye AF - that's all i wanted to say - eye AF in general (no matter which camera brand) is overrated. I can only smile about the " i can concentrate on other things in photography if usinge Eye AF."

I'm not angry at you. Sorry if I seem to be. I just annoy with everyone trying to defend Canon when they still behind. I get post like why do I need better eyeAF when it's working fine for me, etc. You are absolutely right about Sony's ergonomic.

How you do things doesn't matter to me. If technology offered things to make it easier, I'll take advatange of it. Why would I go back to my Canon 6D with focus and recompose when Canon 5D IV is available.

Can I still shoot wedding/kid with single card slot with Canon 6D? Sure I can.

If you think certain feature is overrated then move along. No need to explain to someone who understand the value of certain tech and will take advantage of it. I don't need 4K RAW, log feature, video features, but I don't waste my time convince to someone who may use that feature.

Upvote 0
Today my colleague tried my EOS R and he (is left handed and) has a dominant left eye. And you guessed right, he kept changing the AF-point with his nose. Very annoying. But then we changed the settings in such a way that he should use the left-hand side of the screen to select the AF-point. Then he repositioned his left hand in such a way that he could use his left thumb for selecting the AF-point. It took some learning time, but after a while this was just as easy for him as it had been for me, using my right thumb.
Depending on the size of your face/nose, your nose will always touch the same position on the screen. In the settings you can choose various areas of the screen so you can always find a range that doesn't interfere with your nose.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. While changing the settings seems reasonable workaround and in many cases it will work it will cause troubles while handling zoom lenses or heavier lenses where the left hand simply needs to be elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. While changing the settings seems reasonable workaround and in many cases it will work it will cause troubles while handling zoom lenses or heavier lenses where the left hand simply needs to be elsewhere.

I'm left eye dominant and it can still be done. I have the multifunction bar set so that the right tap locks/unlocks drag to focus. Tap button, drag focus, tap button to lock again.

Upvote 0