New major firmware for the Canon EOS R should arrive soon

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
You know what they should add? The ability to rearrange My Menu items from the different Tabs .. I have after using the camera a lot, found out that I would like to have items on my third tab moved to my first tab etc, but can I do that ? Noooope, it’s annoying...

I feel your pain! Once a year or so, I break down and re-order the items so my most used features are on the first tab. I fight it until moving it takes way less time than the time spent clicking to the next tab. I know to some that will sound trivial, but not to me. Viggo - I get it :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I feel your pain! Once a year or so, I break down and re-order the items so my most used features are on the first tab. I fight it until moving it takes way less time than the time spent clicking to the next tab. I know to some that will sound trivial, but not to me. Viggo - I get it :)
That’s good to know I’m not the only one :D

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Eye AF in Servo and Focus Stacking should be added in EOS R firmware.
Although I think there is room for improvement for Eye AF.

I'd prefere the EOS R over the RP because of grip and feel I have with my large hands. Have borrowed it a couple of times already.
A more appropriate RF Macro lens would be nice with focus stacking, I hope that my 100L works with it. I might even ditch my bellows, but I'll keep my rack to position the camera to its best fov.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Has anyone experienced choppy EVF feed?

We had a gorgeous sunny day for the first times since Christmas almost and I brought my camera out and all of a sudden just looking through the VF with AF engaged it suddenly had a brief pause every few seconds, never experienced that before and it didn’t really go away outside. I have HighSpeed feed engaged and use the RF50. It made it impossible to time a shot and was seriously annoying, like watching video and a very slow connecting. It freezes and continues over and over...

Edit: just tried it indoors and it does work now, could it be too bright? The images was correctly exposed between 1/2500-1/8000s at f1.2-2.0. Serious bummer if the EVF doesn’t work properly in the sun.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Has anyone experienced choppy EVF feed?

We had a gorgeous sunny day for the first times since Christmas almost and I brought my camera out and all of a sudden just looking through the VF with AF engaged it suddenly had a brief pause every few seconds, never experienced that before and it didn’t really go away outside. I have HighSpeed feed engaged and use the RF50. It made it impossible to time a shot and was seriously annoying, like watching video and a very slow connecting. It freezes and continues over and over...

Edit: just tried it indoors and it does work now, could it be too bright? The images was correctly exposed between 1/2500-1/8000s at f1.2-2.0. Serious bummer if the EVF doesn’t work properly in the sun.
My EVF pauses after every shot. I think you are referring to something different, but that is all I've seen, and I have used mine in very bright sun.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
My EVF pauses after every shot. I think you are referring to something different, but that is all I've seen, and I have used mine in very bright sun.
Thanks(y)

Yeah, the lag after each shot and between shots in a burst I’m okay with.

This is just when looking through with af engaged. I’ll try and see if there are more situations it happens. But, never seen it before in any situation.

Upvote 0
Canon if you are listening, I would like to see these fixed for your next firmware:

1) The warning message about leaving the camera in sunlight. This delays the closing of the shutter requiring the user to WAIT until the message disappears before they can change lenses. Please give us the option to delete this message altogether OR allow the shutter cover to close immediately upon powering off the camera (no delay)

2) The touchpad is unavailable during metering and is non responsive. Tried to set to activate auto ISO but touching does nothing at times. However you can activate auto ISO at any time by touching the "ISO" button on the LCD screen. This is frustrating. Please allow touchpad to be used at any time for fluid operation.

3) Possible to dedicate a physical button to activate auto ISO? Not to open a menu to SELECT AUTO, but automatically turn ISO to "Auto."

4) I will look again but I do not see where you can set an actual physical shutter speed minimum like you can with Fuji cameras. There's just shutter speed compensation + and -. I want to set an actual minimum speed manually.

Upvote 0
Canon if you are listening, I would like to see these fixed for your next firmware:

1) The warning message about leaving the camera in sunlight. This delays the closing of the shutter requiring the user to WAIT until the message disappears before they can change lenses. Please give us the option to delete this message altogether OR allow the shutter cover to close immediately upon powering off the camera (no delay)

2) The touchpad is unavailable during metering and is non responsive. Tried to set to activate auto ISO but touching does nothing at times. However you can activate auto ISO at any time by touching the "ISO" button on the LCD screen. This is frustrating. Please allow touchpad to be used at any time for fluid operation.

3) Possible to dedicate a physical button to activate auto ISO? Not to open a menu to SELECT AUTO, but automatically turn ISO to "Auto."

4) I will look again but I do not see where you can set an actual physical shutter speed minimum like you can with Fuji cameras. There's just shutter speed compensation + and -. I want to set an actual minimum speed manually.

Page 87 of the latest user manual. Select Manual and set the minimum shutter speed.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Thanks(y)

Yeah, the lag after each shot and between shots in a burst I’m okay with.

This is just when looking through with af engaged. I’ll try and see if there are more situations it happens. But, never seen it before in any situation.
I've only seen something like this when shooting at very high ISOs, about 20,000+. When AF engages, the EVF gets very slow and laggy. Never during shooting in decent light and lower ISOs though.

Upvote 0
On another note it would be nice if the camera could have multiple Auto ISO settings like Fuji does. Letting you switch on the Fly. I do not think the R offers this?

And take advantage of this by detecting EV light levels and defaulting to Auto ISO #2 for example where you set a different minimum shutter speed.

So for example on Fuji you can set

Auto ISO #1 - 200-12,800 ISO, min. speed 1/125th

Auto ISO #2 800-6400, min. speed 1/40th

It doesn't detect light levels though. but it would be cool if you could set the camera to switch to a set of custom ISO settings if it detects you are shooting in a dim environment. I imagine that would be super easy to implement programming wise. =) Or even just set it in camera for a certain time (past 5PM) or whenever it gets dark in your area. I shoot completely differently at night.

Of course I just do this all manually.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
On another note it would be nice if the camera could have multiple Auto ISO settings like Fuji does. Letting you switch on the Fly. I do not think the R offers this?

So for example on Fuji you can set

Auto ISO #1 - 200-12,800 ISO, min. speed 1/125th
Auto ISO #2 800-6400, min. speed 1/40th

Of course I just do this all manually.
That’s how I use the C modes (on my 1D X, I haven’t set then up on my R yet because I got the camera a couple of days before leaving for a business trip that I’m still on). But I have one C mode based on Av for static subjects with a slower minimum shutter speed and a low upper ISO limit, and another based on Av for moving subjects with a faster minimum shutter speed and a higher upper ISO limit.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That makes sense. I never thought of using C mode like that. It would be for one tiny setting but I guess that could work.
In my case, it’s also for AF – the ‘static subjects’ C mode is one shot with single point selection, whereas the ‘moving subjects’ C mode is AI servo with automatic point selection for tracking.

The 1D X also allows me to set the mode with the M.Fn button next to the shutter, and to restrict the modes available for that (I have just M and those two C modes enabled, and those three cover >95% of my shooting needs. That makes switching between them very efficient. If I need other modes, I can just re-enable them. I’m haven’t yet checked to see if I can set the R up in a similar way.

Upvote 0