New mid-level DSLR and EOS M5 Mark II the next ILC’s from Canon? [CR1]

Pape

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 31, 2018
I dont think smaller size is so good for mirrorless cameras when thinking about saving space .All lenses now 2cm longer but good thing is short lenses now more backweighted.
Good things what i have noticed so far is ability see how picture is before pressing shutter and incresed light on viewfinder on dark. Lack of mirror is good also for my old shaky benbo trekker tripod ,it now works on long exposures too.Very versatile thingie :) I love focus stacking too but i guess that can be added to mirror camera also.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
...Or you run your server host out of floor space, AC, and power supply, and you just can't cram more hard drives in no matter how hard you try. And moving or adding hosts is prohibitive because of red tape.
not the most common failure scenario in embedded software

Quirkz

EOS 80D
Oct 30, 2014
I can't see any advantage Canon had in making the flange 20mm instead of say 17mm (the EF-M is 18mm) and this is the biggest reason I considered moving from EF to Sony instead of to RF.
Not an optical engineer, but a slightly longer flange distance improves the angle of incidence on pixels at the edge of the sensor, potentially resulting in better light collection, and less bending of the light, so possibly better handling of chromatic aberration. I’d love an actual student of optics to correct me. I’m running off physics that’s 20 years of of date and mostly forgotten.

Reactions: SwissFrank

Quirkz

EOS 80D
Oct 30, 2014
...Or you run your server host out of floor space, AC, and power supply, and you just can't cram more hard drives in no matter how hard you try. And moving or adding hosts is prohibitive because of red tape.
Been there too. The first time you encounter it is quite the shock. ‘But all I want to do is add one more server. What do you mean it’s impossible? How else am I going to get that extra card slot?’

Quirkz

EOS 80D
Oct 30, 2014
not the most common failure scenario in embedded software
I suspect it’s part in jest, and part pointing out that when you’re not a professional in the field, you have no idea what very real and practical limits you might strike. The first time I was told our data center couldn’t add our new server because they didn’t have the power was a surprise to me, and seemed like absolute idiocy.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
I suspect it’s part in jest, and part pointing out that when you’re not a professional in the field, you have no idea what very real and practical limits you might strike. The first time I was told our data center couldn’t add our new server because they didn’t have the power was a surprise to me, and seemed like absolute idiocy.
Yeah, just kidding around. In fact even as a professional in the field of software development and operation (I did both at the main job in my career, writing and being responsible for the running of automated trading software) you don't necessarily know what's going on in the server room. However my particular job did require me to know and influence things ranging from disk backup policies to expansion capability. I worked closely with a great infrastructure manager who taught me a lot.

Back to the camera: while general-purpose server software developers may be fuzzy on the hardware end, people developing embedded systems know from the start they've got a very limited machine to play with, and there's kind of a iterative negotiation going on. Product development suggests a feature list for a possible product line; software and hardware teams work out what embedded CPU etc. would be used and will feedback on the price and size points they could meet. Based on those sizes and prices the product line guys may decide some models would be too hard to sell given bulk or cost or too close to or far from the model above and below. Thus they amend their proposal and try again. Since firmware updates are so important, and since there's a risk of the product simply not being deliverable should the code not fit in the selected chipset, I suspect that they'll pad the firmware memory requirement VERY generously. (+20%? +100%?) And that is my response to those who say the camera couldn't fit in 10 extra lines of code or a 64kb array for another histogram. VERY unlikely the memory is that full.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
Not an optical engineer, but a slightly longer flange distance improves the angle of incidence on pixels at the edge of the sensor, potentially resulting in better light collection, and less bending of the light, so possibly better handling of chromatic aberration. I’d love an actual student of optics to correct me. I’m running off physics that’s 20 years of of date and mostly forgotten.
me too no optical engineer, but:

1) the flange distance doesn't control how near or far the back element is. Some rangefinder lenses (e.g., Contax G2's 28mm, 21mm, 16mm, and some early 70s 21mm lenses from Canon and Nikon for the SLR's that required you to lock the mirror up before using them) reach WAY into the camera. Others, starting around 100mm or 135mm, no longer have their rear element anywhere near the flange, instead it's quite inset.

2) the image the sensor "sees" also doesn't appear to be coming from the back element, but rather floating in air somewhere based on the optics. Simple example: I'm massively near-sighted, and can only see 1 meter away at most. I have glasses 1cm from my pupil, but the image doesn't appear to be 1cm away. Instead it appears to be somewhere around 1m away (if at infinity).

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
Sounds like my trade in of my M5 for the RP was the first time in my life I got the timing exactly right!
My EOS-1DSMkIII + M --> R trade wasn't a question of market timing as the two old bodies were SO old. I think I missed the boat on the EF 50/1.2, as the prices seemed a lot lower than I remember just 6 months ago, and perhaps due to a slight oversupply causing it to become a buyer's market. I sold my 85/1.2 to "beat the rush" to the RF models and got a good price for it. I'm in a quandary about the 70-200/2.8IS MkI: sell now and be without until the RF comes out, and possibly find out the RF is a dog and I didn't want to trade anyway? Or do I wait until the RF comes out and then take a $150 hit or something on the old zoom? Answer: I think I'm safe waiting, as the 70-200 is one of the most common L lenses and therefore there's going to be far less impact from the numerically tiny number of people already using the R.

3kramd5

EOS 5D MK IV
Mar 2, 2012
My EOS-1DSMkIII + M --> R trade wasn't a question of market timing as the two old bodies were SO old. I think I missed the boat on the EF 50/1.2, as the prices seemed a lot lower than I remember just 6 months ago, and perhaps due to a slight oversupply causing it to become a buyer's market. I sold my 85/1.2 to "beat the rush" to the RF models and got a good price for it. I'm in a quandary about the 70-200/2.8IS MkI: sell now and be without until the RF comes out, and possibly find out the RF is a dog and I didn't want to trade anyway? Or do I wait until the RF comes out and then take a $150 hit or something on the old zoom? Answer: I think I'm safe waiting, as the 70-200 is one of the most common L lenses and therefore there's going to be far less impact from the numerically tiny number of people already using the R.
In another thread you talk about leaving your Ferrari at home because it’s raining, and in this one you’re in a quandary over $150.
Huh.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
In another thread you talk about leaving your Ferrari at home because it’s raining, and in this one you’re in a quandary over $150.
Huh.
You seem more interested in talking about me than camera stuff! But yeah, I try to figure out the most cost-effective way to do things big or small. Now let us talk cameras, peace out.

ShermN8r

I'm New Here
Nov 26, 2018
I am so excited about the new sensor. Mainly about the megapixel and low light performance.
I also hope its bsi!

i wonder if its really gonna be 24mp, as claimed. 24mp is a good sweetspot for apsc, but im skeptical if it is really going to be 24mp, because a higher mp count usualy is good for marketing.

Sad that the 7diii probably wont come this year, but it was the same with the 7d ii. First came the 70d, which introduced the new sensor, then about 1 year later came the 7d ii.

so it can be projected that we will see the 7d iii at the end of 2020.
I'm no longer optimistic about a 7D Mark III anymore.

Cryve

EOS 80D
Jul 4, 2018
Germany
I'm no longer optimistic about a 7D Mark III anymore.
im a bit more skeptical too.

maybe the new high mp model is where its at. no high frame rates but i mostly only do animal portraits anyway. so no high fps needed. still sad for the rugged body, af and controlls tho. i hope the upcoming full frame high mp model can statisfy my needs. guess it will be the new wildlife cam for me.

andrei1989

EOS RP
Sep 1, 2014
anything new on the M front? a previous rumor said first half of 2019 which has come and gone without any info...
any chance the new M and lenses will come out with the G5X/G7X?

anything new on the M front? a previous rumor said first half of 2019 which has come and gone without any info...
any chance the new M and lenses will come out with the G5X/G7X?
The later rumo(u)rs indicated late July/August for the M announcement. Patience, grasshopper :) Although I really want to know what it will be too, as I'm looking to upgrade a 200D. I'll either get the M5 Mk. II and EF adapter or, if that's too expensive for my limited budget, a used 80D on ebay.