New Nikon lens for the D800

B

biggles_no1

Apparently Nikon have done a deal with Nasa to create a one-off lens for their new D800 in time for the Olympics. It actually allows full coverage of every event while standing in a single spot. The only problem is that the lucky buyer has to collect it. See attached

Apparently Nasa will include a free can of rocket fuel for the gyro image stabalisation system.

Attachments

B

biggles_no1

Well a little motion blur may be evident but the rocket stabalisation system reportedly does help compensate for the 11110 kg weight ;)

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
Where's the Gitzo 12541 tripod (wooden legs made from Sequoia trees) to support that monster?

lol

EOS 7D MK II
Jul 25, 2010
snowporing.deviantart.com
If you really could get hubble and stick it on your SLR (any brand!) then I was looking up the stats on it. It has a 57.6m focal length (57600mm). Considering its 2.4m mirror, you get a system of f/24. Hope you have a good way to keep the shutter speed up to prevent shake, while dealing with the relative slowness of it. And that's ignoring the secondary mirror obstruction. At least it has a built in lens cap!

Hmm... I wonder, maybe it would be really sweet if you can attach a focal reducer optimised to correct for the Ritchey-Chrétien weaknesses of it. Lose a bit of focal length, get the speed up.

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
lol said:
It has a 57.6m focal length (57600mm). Considering its 2.4m mirror, you get a system of f/24. Hope you have a good way to keep the shutter speed up to prevent shake, while dealing with the relative slowness of it.
No worries. You just need a couple of the 7000 W, one billion candlepower xenon lamps from the Luxor Sky Beam as a constant light source. At only $1200 each, they're a bargin compared to the lens.

T

tt

neuroanatomist said:
lol said:
It has a 57.6m focal length (57600mm). Considering its 2.4m mirror, you get a system of f/24. Hope you have a good way to keep the shutter speed up to prevent shake, while dealing with the relative slowness of it.
No worries. You just need a couple of the 7000 W, one billion candlepower xenon lamps from the Luxor Sky Beam as a constant light source. At only $1200 each, they're a bargin compared to the lens.

At $1200 that's cheaper and more powerful than many studio heads.
Probably a bit bright/warm for the subject though.
Probably need to wait for the updated Vagabond battery coming out, if using outside!

B

briansquibb

Can you get a 1.4 for it? If not I will be switching to canon