New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’ve received confirmation that the camera that has appeared in a r<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/01/canon-shows-off-a-new-dslr/" target="_blank">ecent Canon leak is indeed the next Rebel</a> and we should see the announcement sometime before CP+ in February. No specifications for the camera were given.</p>
<p>We’ve also received confirmation that select retailers have been told about the EF 11-24 f/4L and that the price tag is in the area of $3000 USD ($2899 in USA, $3099 in Canada was mentioned), <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/08/canon-ef-11-24-f2-8l-coming-cr1/" target="_blank">something we reported a long time ago</a>. We weren’t given an announcement date for this lens, but we shouldn’t be waiting too much longer.</p>
<p>Yes, at this price, the lens must have remarkable optical performance.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Re: New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

Dylan, that is exactly my question.

Sek
Dylan777 said:
IS on current 16-35 f4 works extremely well at 1/10ish or slower.

Wonder why Canon didn't apply IS on this lens? $3300 - $3500 f4 IS sounds a bit better.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

I don't think the rumoured 11-24 price is too far out there especially considering it is a groundbreaking world class optic.

But I think its relevance is limited and, if it looks like it should (a 16-35 f4 with a 17TS-E front element) then the functionality it has over the 16-35 f4 IS makes it a near irrelevance.

Sure 11-16mm is a big range, but the 16-35 f4IS is a world class ultra wide angle zoom that has a simple 77mm filter thread, IS, it is compact and easy to use too. The 16-35 does have considerably more barrel distortion than the 17 TS-E, but that is very easily fixed in post and most of the time a stitch is simple enough to get the wider fov anyway.

Canon really seem to be doubling down on the f4 is good enough for the iso capabilities we have nowadays, and whilst many would agree with that especially for ultra wides where the dof often isn't considered as important, I am not sure they are right. All these 11-24 lenses will be bought by pros and keen amateurs, they mostly grew up with the f2.8 meme and expect the best zoom optics to be f2.8, and many would prefer faster, I think there will be a lot of psychological resistance to this new top end zoom being an f4 and the bulbous front element.

Being a heavy 17TS-E user I would take a serious look at the 11-24 had I not just bought the 16-35 f4 IS. In comparison between my copies the zoom has much better contrast, especially at the edges, and the resolution is a draw, the prime however has zero distortion unlike the zoom that has quite pronounced, but easily corrected, barrel distortion at 16mm.

I'd expect the new optic to have the best qualities of both lenses, very good contrast and practically zero distortion, but that front element will be a killer for many..........

Upvote 0

Interesting. So this will be the first Rebel with a shoulder LCD? Cool.

I have no need for a Rebel, but it'll be interesting to see if/how Canon differentiates the Rebels from the XXD line going forward (not that shoulder LCD is everything, just a little up-market nudge).

Still hoping for a full frame body with articulating touchscreen and DPAF sometime this year...

Upvote 0

Doesn't look like it would take screw on filters. Maybe some specially made ones? With it covering up to 24mm you'd want some filtering ability to make it more versatile. Plus no IS means more than likely a tripod use only landscape and architecture lens for most people. The TS lenses kinda cover that need anyway.

Other than bragging rights to the widest glass in your kit why would you opt for this vs the TS or 16-35 or even the 14L? Not many rectilinear lenses exist between 11-14mm focal length so it's not like we have a lot of experience or prior need. I don't even know what I would do with 11mm. Already struggle with 14mm!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

RE: 11-24 f4

I would guess no IS because Canon wanted to go all in on sheer optics, and I know historically they have had some issues employing both (like the first 70-200 IS L) Perhaps a field of view this wide created too big a a hurdle to overcome for an IS motor without having to sacrifice a bit of edge sharpness? I'm just guessing, Dylan. That said, the 16-35 f4 (FABULOUS glass, I own it) is such a great all around wide angle for the money. But, for the high end pros who demand the utmost precision from corner to corner, methinks they are mostly shooting tripod/monopod anyway. I know I shoot my 16-35 on tripod for landscape stuff as much as possible, negating the use of IS anyway.

This is for a different level of landscape shooting where obviously you're going to spend hundreds more on an expensive filter kit to buckle to the front of this light bulb anyway.

Upvote 0