New rumors on 1Ds upgrades and 5D III over at NL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Hi, maybe you've read that already.
Just in case ... drop you the line. Regards. Pedro.
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d3.html

14th Some time ago we were told about a number of 32MP 1Ds4 prototypes undergoing testing, but were pulled as not being a big enough technological jump - it was felt that the 1Ds4 had to be pretty special to make a noticeable jump from the 1Ds3 (yes, I'd agree there from my 1Ds3 use). This 32MB sensor (or a derivative) is a candidate for the 5D3. If a 40+MP 1Ds4 appears, then I'll not be surprised to see the 5D3 not too long after at 32MP.
Note that we're getting an awful lot of 'bits' of info at the moment - it just isn't clear which (if any!) have a good take on what's going on.

11th "The 5D2 is still selling too well" was the only comment I got from a European source when I mentioned that a lot of people were waiting for it's replacement. None of our usual sources have said anything about the 5D3 as anything but 'later this year'. Favourite is a 1Ds3 replacement for 'Q2' or even March.

Aug 11, 2010
pedro said:
11th "The 5D2 is still selling too well" was the only comment I got from a European source when I mentioned that a lot of people were waiting for it's replacement. None of our usual sources have said anything about the 5D3 as anything but 'later this year'. Favourite is a 1Ds3 replacement for 'Q2' or even March.

this is the main reason I see canon breaking its 3-year production cycle and dropping a 5DIII sometime in 2012, maybe even late into 2012. despite the well-aged (perhaps geriatric) AF system and the lack of wireless trigger and other minor goodies, the 5DII is still an attractive package and I see lots of people upgrading to it even now.

others have pointed out that Nikon may force canon's hand by releasing a D800 or similar, in which case I think Canon will indeed very quickly release the 5DIII. but unless that happens, I can totally see having to wait another year for a 5DII replacement.

Upvote 0
kubelik said:
this is the main reason I see canon breaking its 3-year production cycle and dropping a 5DIII sometime in 2012, maybe even late into 2012. despite the well-aged (perhaps geriatric) AF system and the lack of wireless trigger and other minor goodies, the 5DII is still an attractive package and I see lots of people upgrading to it even now.

others have pointed out that Nikon may force canon's hand by releasing a D800 or similar, in which case I think Canon will indeed very quickly release the 5DIII. but unless that happens, I can totally see having to wait another year for a 5DII replacement.

Coming to think of it, Canon does have another option even if Nikon doesn't release a D800 (or if D800 isn't enough to challenge its leading position): releasing a 5D2-N which comes with the minor tweaks such as 7D AF and partial upgrades.

That would be a welcomed move while lessening the pressure on current 5D2 users to upgrade.

Of course, I don't think Nikon will give up the playing field w/o fighting...

Upvote 0
pedro said:
Hi, maybe you've read that already.
Just in case ... drop you the line. Regards. Pedro.
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d3.html

14th Some time ago we were told about a number of 32MP 1Ds4 prototypes undergoing testing, but were pulled as not being a big enough technological jump - it was felt that the 1Ds4 had to be pretty special to make a noticeable jump from the 1Ds3 (yes, I'd agree there from my 1Ds3 use). This 32MB sensor (or a derivative) is a candidate for the 5D3. If a 40+MP 1Ds4 appears, then I'll not be surprised to see the 5D3 not too long after at 32MP.
Note that we're getting an awful lot of 'bits' of info at the moment - it just isn't clear which (if any!) have a good take on what's going on.

The Nikon D700 was launched right at the end of it's service life and was still selling like hot cakes...until the D700 was launched. Canon were saying...why change it? Until it totally stopped selling and had to make a late replacement. Can anyone see the same thing happening again? If Canon were looking at past history, launching a 5DIII at the same time that Nikon launches their D800 would really make a point. Sure the D700 replacement would offer Nikon users a great upgrade path, but there would be nothing to temp Nikon / Canon migrators to swap. Canon will have to add more MP to the 5DIII just to stay ahead of the pack. They have lots of milage in ustilising a more modern AF system (aka 7D variant) and a wee bit more fps would be very welcome too. Plus there's a whole raft of UI and eronomic improvements that have been seen in the 7D / 60D that should be in the 5DIII...plus a few more no doubt.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.