<li>Mount Canon, Nikon, Sony</li>
<li>No VC for Sony</li>
</ul>
<p>SP 45 mm F1.8 Di VC USD (Model F013)</p>
<ul>
<li>Mount Canon, Nikon, Sony</li>
<li>No VC for Sony</li>
</ul>
<p>Tamron definitely needs some updated fast prime lenses, and hopefully these come in well under the pricing of Sigma ART series primes. It’s also nice to see VC on some faster lenses.</p>

siegsAR said:
I wonder how their 35 perform against Canon's 35 f/2 with IS? Also the price...

+1. The Canon 35 f/2 IS is about 600 new or less than 500 through the refurb store. How much of a lower price will there be to entice people to consider the Tamron? 100? 200? And the difference of of 1/3 of a stop -- doesn't seem that significant.

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
siegsAR said:
I imagine a similar price with the Canon 35mm F2 IS.
If the Tamron has 80% of the image quality, and cost less than the Canon, can be advantageous because the aperture F1.8
That extra third of a stop will be a life saver.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
I wonder if pricing will be around the $800 mark in order to compete with:
1) vs 35mm f/1.4L II: Considerably lower price and also has VC
2) vs 35mm f/1.4 Art: has VC (maybe weather-sealed and similar optical performance???)
3) vs 35mm f/2 IS: Slightly faster (maybe weather-sealed and also less vignette???)

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
ajfotofilmagem said:
siegsAR said:
If the Tamron has 80% of the image quality, and cost less than the Canon, can be advantageous because the aperture F1.8

The other thing is that Tamron seems to have figured out the Canon focus system alot better then Sigma. Or at least figured it out earlier as maybe Sigma finally cracked that nut with their latest stuff. The couple of Tamron lenses I have owned have focused spot on and consistently. Tamron's latest lenses seem to give like 90% of the performance of the Canon equivalent lens for roughly half the price.

While I probably will not be purchasing either of these lenses as I already have primes in the 35mm, 40mm, and 50mm ranges, consider me quite intrigued. I'll be following these developments.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
StudentOfLight said:
I wonder if pricing will be around the $800 mark in order to compete with:
1) vs 35mm f/1.4L II: Considerably lower price and also has VC
2) vs 35mm f/1.4 Art: has VC (maybe weather-sealed and similar optical performance???)
3) vs 35mm f/2 IS: Slightly faster (maybe weather-sealed and also less vignette???)

Really? You think $800? I can't imagine it going for more then $500. I'm assuming size/weight probably similar to the Canon 35mm f/2 IS. That is probably it's closet competitor and I'd think they need to undercut it on price. Not to discount the 1/3 stop, but f/1.8 and f/2 pretty darn close. Depending on "rounding" of the aperture numbers the lenses could be the same actual T-stops.

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
siegsAR said:

Good speculation. I did try the SP 15-30mm for a few weeks before exchanging it for a 16-35mm f/4L and I have to say the image quality was unbelievable. Without pixel peeping at 400% at brick walls, it felt like the Tamron outperformed the Canon, even at f/2.8. The build quality was better too. I traded it in purely for portability and filter threads.

This is of course saying a lot considering the Canon f/4 is stunning. Basically I wouldn't count Tamron out against the 35mm f/2 IS just yet :)

Tamron seriously stepped up their SP line with the 15-30mm. It's WAAY better than the SP 24-70 or SP 70-200, which were already great lenses as it stood.

I'll be patiently waiting to see if they can up the ante again with these new primes :) A 45mm f/1.8 VC sounds terrific IMO.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
andrewflo said:
Tamron seriously stepped up their SP line with the 15-30mm. It's WAAY better than the SP 24-70 or SP 70-200, which were already great lenses as it stood.

I really wanted to get that lens for my UWA zoom. However the lack of traditional filters got me too. I've heard the distortion is really well controlled on that lens. A lot of people focus on sharpness... but stopped down the 17-40L I use is plenty sharp, it's the distortion that is fairly bad. People don't even need to get to the edge of the frame and they get pretty bloated. Granted, it is more or less my landscape lens, but still. In a perfect world where money was no object I think I'd own the Zeiss Distagon 15mm. I hear the (lack of) distortion on that lens is awesome!

Upvote 0
andrewflo said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
siegsAR said:

Good speculation. I did try the SP 15-30mm for a few weeks before exchanging it for a 16-35mm f/4L and I have to say the image quality was unbelievable. Without pixel peeping at 400% at brick walls, it felt like the Tamron outperformed the Canon, even at f/2.8. The build quality was better too. I traded it in purely for portability and filter threads.

This is of course saying a lot considering the Canon f/4 is stunning. Basically I wouldn't count Tamron out against the 35mm f/2 IS just yet :)

I'll be patiently waiting to see if they can up the ante again with these new primes :) A 45mm f/1.8 VC sounds terrific IMO.
Optics will need to be fine and the AF needs to be fast and accurate before I would be interested. The 45 looks interesting, but only if the VC is fast. I am in no hurry to buy more lenses, but I sure would like to see a Canon 50 F2 IS with performance like the 35F2 IS.

Upvote 0
I'll definitely review both lenses, but I am more interested in the 45 than the 35 (I'm a big fan of the 35mm f/2 IS). Size is going to matter with these. Sigma has been making some great prime lenses, but they are HUGE! I think there is a market for more compact lenses, particularly for street and general purpose shooters.

Part of the reason I love my vintage 50mm f/1.4 SMC Takumar is it is so compact and easy to bring along as an option. Even if I don't end up using it, I don't regret bringing it along.

Luds34 said:
The other thing is that Tamron seems to have figured out the Canon focus system alot better then Sigma. Or at least figured it out earlier as maybe Sigma finally cracked that nut with their latest stuff. The couple of Tamron lenses I have owned have focused spot on and consistently. Tamron's latest lenses seem to give like 90% of the performance of the Canon equivalent lens for roughly half the price...

That is my finding as well. I use the 15-30, 24-70, and 70-200 for my event and wedding work almost exclusively and I typically don't have to reject ANY images for missed focus when I review at the end.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
preppyak said:
PhotographyFirst said:
Tamron, the soup nazi of VC.

Sony! No VC for you! :mad:
Probably more complicated to make with the shorter distance, and some Sony's already have the stabilization in camera.

I think the Sony version is A-mount, not E-mount; and all Sony A mount bodies have IBIS. If so, the only people who will be irked are owners of Sony E-mount bodies without IBIS (which is most of them) who would want to mount these via an adapter (and, of course, owners of E-mount bodies who wish these were E-mount lenses).

Upvote 0