New Tilt-Shift Lenses in the Wild [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
7,902
721
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13404"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13404">Tweet</a></div>
<strong>New Tilt-shifts on the horizon?


</strong>We’ve received reports that new tilt-shift lenses are being tested. The 45mm and 90mm have both been on the replacement clock for some time now, basically since the 17mm and 24mm tilt-shift lenses were released.</p>
<p>We’re told that the new lenses are scheduled to appear in early 2014 with a possible announcement shortly have Christmas.</p>
<p>A separate person has suggested a macro tilt-shift lens could also be on the distant horizon.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
 

ijohnsson

I'm New Here
Apr 26, 2012
9
0
ddashti said:
Macro tilt-shift? I wonder what kind of blur that would have.
No blur. The point is of course to be able to align the focal plane with the subject. That is the primary use, along with perspective control, of a TS lens.
 

shutterwideshut

IR and Long Exposure junkie
Oct 15, 2012
186
0
44
Southeast Asia
ijohnsson said:
ddashti said:
Macro tilt-shift? I wonder what kind of blur that would have.
No blur. The point is of course to be able to align the focal plane with the subject. That is the primary use, along with perspective control, of a TS lens.
+1. By using the TILT function and tilting the plane of focus into the subject plane, a deeper DOF is achieved from front to back. This is good news for macro enthusiasts who want to achieve a deeper depth of field without having to resort with the image stacking technique in post processing.
 

TW

EOS T7i
Jun 2, 2011
70
1
East Tennessee, USA
Yea! Double Yea! Triple Yea! :) :) :)

Macro would likely be tilt-only. Maybe something like a 150mm f/3.5?

I've been expecting a 200mm f/4 L IS replacement for the current 180 macro for ages; 100, 150, 200. Seems about right!
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
8,135
1,475
119
shutterwideshut said:
ijohnsson said:
ddashti said:
Macro tilt-shift? I wonder what kind of blur that would have.
No blur. The point is of course to be able to align the focal plane with the subject. That is the primary use, along with perspective control, of a TS lens.
+1. By using the TILT function and tilting the plane of focus into the subject plane, a deeper DOF is achieved from front to back. This is good news for macro enthusiasts who want to achieve a deeper depth of field without having to resort with the image stacking technique in post processing.
Only if the subject is two dimensional, after all tilting doesn't increase dof, it just moves the plane of focus. For instance the ubiquitous fly's eye macro image would gain nothing from tilting.

I am not saying Canon can't or won't do it, they do love their tilt, and macro lenses and combining them would be yet another "because we can" 17mm TS-E moment, but I highly doubt it. Apart from the above mentioned practical use with three dimensional objects there is the MAJOR issue of the J distance and the tilt angle needed at macro distances.

This all falls into the area of Harold Merklinger and his seminal work "How To Focus The View Camera", Everybody, normally with a "knowledgeable" smile, talks of Scheimpflug and his principle, but the really useful guy for us as photographers is Merklinger and his J Point and Hinge Line. See here for a couple of cool gif's and more info http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/using_tilt.html

Basically the longer the focal length the more tilt you need for the same effect, AND, and this is the really important bit for a potential macro tilt lens use, the closer the camera is to the plane of focus the more tilt you need. Bear in mind a 90mm TS-E needs 36º of tilt with a J distance of 6", current Canon T/S lenses have 8º of tilt.
 

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
2,816
35
Better my old ones now
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,635
2,142
Insightful post, PBD...but you're missing the big picture. It's not just a 'because we can' moment - it's one more small step on the road to the EF TS 12-400mm f/2L Macro IS Pancake lens we all want.
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
8,135
1,475
119
neuroanatomist said:
Insightful post, PBD...but you're missing the big picture. It's not just a 'because we can' moment - it's one more small step on the road to the EF TS 12-400mm f/2L Macro IS Pancake lens we all want.
There is no way I'd get that if it was only f2! It has to be at least f1.8 (have I drifted off into the 135 threads?), but better yet a 1.4, oh and it needs to be lighter then the 70-200 f2.8 IS. Trouble is if Canon did come out with a EF TS 12-400mm f/2L Macro IS Pancake they'd try and rip us all off, I wouldn't pay any more than $2,000 for one, after all you can get a Tamron 18-270 for $500. ;D
[/irony]
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
8,135
1,475
119
But on a slightly more serious note, and thanks for the compliment Neuro, I wonder if 8º, or close to it, is a bit of a limit with the design of the mirror box and the 44mm flange distance. I know there are severe tilt restrictions when using DSLR's on adapters for field cameras due to the shadowing of the mirror tunnel on the sensor.
 

jthomson

EOS RP
Aug 4, 2012
256
1
Burlington, Ontario
neuroanatomist said:
Insightful post, PBD...but you're missing the big picture. It's not just a 'because we can' moment - it's one more small step on the road to the EF TS 12-400mm f/2L Macro IS Pancake lens we all want.
Will it take extenders and focus at f8 ? ;D
 

ahab1372

EOS RP
Nov 8, 2012
326
0
privatebydesign said:
[...]
See here for a couple of cool gif's and more info http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/using_tilt.html

Basically the longer the focal length the more tilt you need for the same effect, AND, and this is the really important bit for a potential macro tilt lens use, the closer the camera is to the plane of focus the more tilt you need. Bear in mind a 90mm TS-E needs 36º of tilt with a J distance of 6", current Canon T/S lenses have 8º of tilt.
This http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/04/tiltshift-photography-an-introduction-to-tilt/ is also a good resource, especially the simulator here http://static.timparkin.co.uk/static/dslr-tilt-shift/ is interesting. You really don't need a lot of tilt for most landscape applications with the camera on a tripod, but for shorter Js and longer focal lengths that changes a lot.
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
8,135
1,475
119
ahab,

That simulator is very cool, I haven't seen it before, excellent link, thanks.
 

ahab1372

EOS RP
Nov 8, 2012
326
0
privatebydesign said:
ahab,

That simulator is very cool, I haven't seen it before, excellent link, thanks.
yes, it definitely helped me. Only counter-intuitive thing in the simulator is that focus distance gets shorter as you move the slider to the right (maybe not for view camera users).
 

kirispupis

EOS 7D MK II
Oct 4, 2011
461
12
www.calevphoto.com
I have a feeling by "macro TS" they mean .5x - not 1x. This is very plausible because the Nikon PC-85 is already .5x. If this is the case, even though macro is my specialty, I will unlikely bite because I already have the current TS-E 90 and it is not one of my more used lenses. Of course, if they do manage 1x this lens will be at the top of my list.

The TS-E 45 II is a bit more intriguing. I already own the TS-E 17 and TS-E 24 II and have considered the TS-E 45, but poor reviews of the current model have dissuaded me. Schneider makes a very nice 50mm TS lens for the EF mount, but at over $3k I could not justify it. As I have run across a number of situations where a TS-E 45 would have been useful, I would likely buy a copy.
 

cayenne

EOR R
Mar 28, 2012
2,071
195
I'm thinking of soon (after saving a bit more $$) getting my first TS lens.

I was thinking of going for the 24mm one.

Would this be the best choice to start with? I don't have any primes near this focal length, so it would be something good I was thinking, for regular AND TS photography. And I figured it is good and wide enough for landscapes, building shooting...maybe even for commercial real estate.

Arguments out there pro/con for me on my first TS lens?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne
 

kirispupis

EOS 7D MK II
Oct 4, 2011
461
12
www.calevphoto.com
cayenne said:
I'm thinking of soon (after saving a bit more $$) getting my first TS lens.

I was thinking of going for the 24mm one.

Would this be the best choice to start with? I don't have any primes near this focal length, so it would be something good I was thinking, for regular AND TS photography. And I figured it is good and wide enough for landscapes, building shooting...maybe even for commercial real estate.

Arguments out there pro/con for me on my first TS lens?
This is probably the best TS lens to start out with. It works well for building exteriors and for general purposes. It has generally been my second most used lens on vacations after my 70-200/2.8 II. Unlike the TS-E 17 it accepts filters (well, you can technically put filters on the TS-E 17 but it is expensive and a bit bulky) and has minimal flare problems.

I also own the TS-E 17. It is a nice lens but not as sharp as the TS-E 24 II and flares badly. It also has a huge bulb in the front to protect. It is definitely a wonderful lens and my primary lens for interiors, but the 24 is much more versatile. Note that some people buy the TS-E 17 and put a 1.4 extender on it. Yes, this will work, but you will lose sharpness and will still have the glare issues. I would never do that.
 

tolusina

EOS 7D MK II
Mar 1, 2012
789
2
neuroanatomist said:
Insightful post, PBD...but you're missing the big picture. It's not just a 'because we can' moment - it's one more small step on the road to the EF TS 12-400mm f/2L Macro IS Pancake lens we all want.
D'oh, you forgot motorized tilt and shift mechanisms for tethered use.