New Tilt Shift Lenses to be 45mm, 90mm, 135mm [CR2]

neuroanatomist said:
LonelyBoy said:
It becomes extremely clear at work, where some people use the webcams on their laptops to take pics for their Outlook profiles. ... (and my Outlook profile just lacks a picture entirely, actually).

My Outlook profile pic was shot with a 1D X and 135/2L, three speedlites (two in softboxes for key and fill, one gridded on a boom for a hair light), and PCB Einstein lighting the backdrop. I held the remote trigger in my hand.

Does that make me weird? ;)

Weird? Yes. I would also like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
neuroanatomist said:
LonelyBoy said:
It becomes extremely clear at work, where some people use the webcams on their laptops to take pics for their Outlook profiles. ... (and my Outlook profile just lacks a picture entirely, actually).

My Outlook profile pic was shot with a 1D X and 135/2L, three speedlites (two in softboxes for key and fill, one gridded on a boom for a hair light), and PCB Einstein lighting the backdrop. I held the remote trigger in my hand.

Nope! Just a photo gear geek. :p
And someone who likes to take quality portraits. 8)

By the way, you didn't tell us anything about the bg equipment.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Canon 1DX is an excellent camera for taking selfies. Full stop. What is your favourite selfie stick brand and model? 8)

neuroanatomist said:
LonelyBoy said:

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
neuroanatomist said:
LonelyBoy said:

Not at all, unless I'm totally wacko.

I took issue with my colleagues substandard profile pictures to the degree I offered free headshots during lunch time (limit of max 20 people). Four bags full of photographic equipment. Some people obviously thought I was crazy, but I've now got another dozen colleagues with quite acceptable profile pictures.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
hne said:
I took issue with my colleagues substandard profile pictures to the degree I offered free headshots during lunch time (limit of max 20 people). Four bags full of photographic equipment. Some people obviously thought I was crazy, but I've now got another dozen colleagues with quite acceptable profile pictures.

Ha...I did just the same! Set up in a conference room at work (pictured below). I subsequently did the same thing for colleagues in Switzerland, which was a challenge since I had to pack everything I'd need. I ended up taking 4 speedlites, a small softbox (Lastolite Ezybox Speedlite), Justin clamps, a small 5x7' backdrop and a few spring clamps, and using free-standing dry erase boards as stands for the lights and backdrop.

As a nod in the general direction of this topic, I did have two TS-E lenses on the trip (although I didn't use them for the photoshoot). ;)

Attachments

• Setup.jpg
    Setup.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 196
Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:
dafrank,

What is wrong with shooting head and shoulders portraits with 135mm lens?
Is the issue you are referring to is evident in the photo attached? :eek:

I am debating with myself if the new ts-e 90mm will be to long for my purpose, so I am looking a bit into "compressed perspective" generally.

Head and shoulders in this portrait is totally fine. But when when one looks at the hands I would say they problem of compressed perspective of the 135mm focal length hits in. I suppose its subjective but to me the hand and its fingers closest to the lens looks very small, and the other hand almost looks like a foot compared to the front hand. To me this looks like the result of the diagonal position of the crossed arms in the compressed perspective plane of the 135mm in the otherwise perfect portrait.

best Martin

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
martinandersen said:
SecureGSM said:
dafrank,

What is wrong with shooting head and shoulders portraits with 135mm lens?
Is the issue you are referring to is evident in the photo attached? :eek:

I am debating with myself if the new ts-e 90mm will be to long for my purpose, so I am looking a bit into "compressed perspective" generally.

Head and shoulders in this portrait is totally fine. But when when one looks at the hands I would say they problem of compressed perspective of the 135mm focal length hits in. I suppose its subjective but to me the hand and its fingers closest to the lens looks very small, and the other hand almost looks like a foot compared to the front hand. To me this looks like the result of the diagonal position of the crossed arms in the compressed perspective plane of the 135mm in the otherwise perfect portrait.

best Martin

That's bad posing and nothing to do with the difference between the shot taken with a 90mm vs 135mm.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
martinandersen said:
That's bad posing and nothing to do with the difference between the shot taken with a 90mm vs 135mm.

I think it is partly related to focal length, taken with a 20mm you could have made the front hand huge :)
Best Martin
[/quote]

I don't, the difference in perspective between a 90mm and 135mm when shot for the same framing isn't going to come close to overcoming the poor posing. Hands, especially for men, are very difficult to pose naturally and yet when done well can tell every bit as much of a story as the face.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
I don't, the difference in perspective between a 90mm and 135mm when shot for the same framing isn't going to come close to overcoming the poor posing. Hands, especially for men, are very difficult to pose naturally and yet when done well can tell every bit as much of a story as the face.

You might be right, I will give it a try taking a few shots of diagonal crossed arms and hands in 90mm and 135mm. Though I am not looking at the story of the pose, just the "compression" of perspective.

Attachments

• grid.jpg
    grid.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
It looks like most of those were shot from about the same distance, so there is not so much difference of perspective, which changes mostly with subject distance, not focal length. If you take the same shot from the same place with a wide angle lens and with a telephoto and then crop the former to fit, you will get virtually the same perspective, within the limits of the lenses' distortion and such.

Upvote 0
stevelee said:
It looks like most of those were shot from about the same distance, so there is not so much difference of perspective, which changes mostly with subject distance, not focal length. If you take the same shot from the same place with a wide angle lens and with a telephoto and then crop the former to fit, you will get virtually the same perspective, within the limits of the lenses' distortion and such.

I suppose the point in this is if you want to frame the subject identically with different focal lengths you will have to move the camera (and thereby changing the perspective). Personally I see a lot of difference in "compression of perspective" here, sure not dramatic in-between 50mm and 150mm (but its there) and I suppose it would have been more if the portrait had been diagonal in pose.

Attachments

• grid.jpg
    grid.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 0
Here perhaps a more interesting diagonal subject than hands. The compression of perspective, and to what degree it is an asset for a motif, is of course transitional. And I totally get that for products such as cars a 135mm and above might make sense (as dafrank finely described earlier in this thread). At 200mm here i suppose it is obviously not okay what happens with the compression. Whether or not it is okay at 135mm I suppose is a matter of taste :)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0