New to Rangefinders....

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leopard Lupus

Hello folks!

I am currently looking to "test the waters" in the rangefinder field... My budget is currently ~ $2000, as I don't know if this will be something I enjoy as much as I do digital and Canon 35mm film, and can't rationalize a M9 at the moment.

What would a recommendation for a basic body and lens be? I've seen the Voigtlander Bessa-R4M, allowing for about the remain $1200 to go towards a solid lens.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
Have you considered going medium format with a Mamiya 7 or Mamiya 6? Or one of the fuji's (eg GSW670 / GSW 690)? While a little bigger than 35mm rangefinders, their size isn't that daunting. And it will give you something a bit different to your current set up. Most of these will come in well under budget. The Mamiya 7 could be under budget depending on the lenses you want.

If you're not too sure if a rangefinder is for you, maybe start off with something fun. A Canonet QL17 won't break the bank and will give you some retro coolness. (Plus, maybe they'll increase in value when Canon releases a 40th anniversary FF digital version later this year?) Until recently, I had a Yashica Electro 35 GSN. This is a great little camera, too. There are a lot of different fixed lens 35mm rangefinders around and they can all produce stunning photos.

Upvote 0

vbi

Jan 30, 2012
You don't specify that you want a film rangefinder. If not, consider the Fuji X100. Not a true rangefinder, but an amazing camera that I definately enjoy.

EDIT: Just checked your profile and see that you prefer film - so feel free to ignore my opinion. On the other hand, using the X100 is a joy, so if you might consider digital, consider the X100.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.