New Type of Camera Coming from Canon Ahead of Photokina [CR1]

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
fullstop said:
sorry to disappoint you Harry, but first image is [also] clearly fake. Just one quick glance reveals your ENGINEERING FRIENDS are playing PRANKS on you. ;D

Explanation: a SQUARE white dot as lens mount mark is used by Canon on cameras with EF-S lens mount. EF-S like EF has a flange focal distance of 44.0 mm = way thicker than any "camera smartphone", including the fake one in the posted image.

If it were Canon EF-M mount, it would be marked with a ROUND white dot ... even then it would still be 18mm FFD, which would make for a MIGHTY FAT "camera smartphone"-body. Smallest form factor we have seen so far for EF-M so far was EOS M2 [back in 2013; HxWxD 104.9 × 65.2 × 31.6 mm] ... which is about the smallest form factor Canon [or anyone else] could possibly use for an "APS-C sensored camera-phone" with interchangeable lens mount ... ;-)

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0304760491/canon-announces-eos-m2-in-japan

You do understand that there is a hole in the carpet and that sensor is deep in it ;)

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
SENSATION! Just managed to hack into Canon product development server and found some BOILING HOT secret product images! "P5", oh YES! Harry got it spot on! *Canon P5-D* !!!! 100% NO FAKE!!!!

8829918410134an.JPG

... innovative Canon! 1973 8) ;D

Upvote 0
fullstop said:
sorry to disappoint you Harry, but first image is [also] clearly fake. Just one quick glance reveals your ENGINEERING FRIENDS are playing PRANKS on you. ;D

Explanation: a SQUARE white dot as lens mount mark is used by Canon on cameras with EF-S lens mount. EF-S like EF has a flange focal distance of 44.0 mm = way thicker than any "camera smartphone", including the fake one in the posted image.

If it were Canon EF-M mount, it would be marked with a ROUND white dot ... even then it would still be 18mm FFD, which would make for a MIGHTY FAT "camera smartphone"-body. Smallest form factor we have seen so far for EF-M so far was EOS M2 [back in 2013; HxWxD 104.9 × 65.2 × 31.6 mm] ... which is about the smallest form factor Canon [or anyone else] could possibly use for an "APS-C sensored camera-phone" with interchangeable lens mount ... ;-)

Also, as was touched on in the thread where he posted these photos a while back, the mount is clearly pasted on from a different image - the sharpness and lighting/shadows don't match the rest of the image, for one thing.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
zim said:
fullstop said:

You do understand that there is a hole in the carpet and that sensor is deep in it ;)

Your camera can be as thin as you want as long as it's permanently fixed to a recessed... floor!

At least it will not have any stability issues, earthquakes and Godzilla aside.

Upvote 0
fullstop said:

===

I am not familiar with how Canon marks its mounts BUT i did note at one point that the Canon smartphone was purported to be about 26 mm thick which on a technical basis would be what an EF-M mount needs for focus plane needs rather than the EF-S mount which you have CORRECTLY stated being 44mm as to what would be needed WITHOUT any extender tubes.

I suggest to you however, that I think due to recent Canon patents SOME SORT of interchangeable lens/extension tube technology is being contemplated. I do say that the SECOND PHOTO to me looks "Rather Fake" .... BUT .... the first photo DOES SEEM rather more real than the other, So I am going to give it more "weight". I did a Google and Baidu search engine check on the body itself and I have found NOTHING with that shape or look! Light meters, audio recorders, portable game systems, Chinese/Asian/Euro smartphones, kitchen gadgets, electrical and tradesmen measuring tools, etc.

I have found NOTHING that fits the profile of the first photo. I think it's a real object sitting on a very real carpet and the IMAGE NOISE does match on BOTH the lens mount and body so it was TAKEN with a camera. I disagree with others about the lighting and sharpness not matching the lens mount as it actually does when a lighting source from the camera flash AND a second source is taken into account. It is the MATCHING Image Noise across the entire photo that helps me in my opinion as to its authenticity.

---

Canon DEFINITELY NEEDS to be wary of phones that can do the below photos!

I PERSONALLY recommend the newest Sony xPeria 4K Premium phones AND the Asus ZenFone-2 and above which have FANTASTIC cameras! Again, smartphones are WINNING the camera war and Canon better introduce what they have in terms of large sensor smartphone PRETTY QUICKLY!

It wasn't a perfect auto-stitch for the photos but it SURE WAS GOOD ENOUGH for family members to send to at various times! Smartphones with BIG SENSORS and High IQ CPU processors (i.e. Qualcomm SnapDragon 845) is where it is NOW AT for still photos!

Attachments

• Vancouver Harbour Panorama - Spring 2017 - Sony Xperia with Autostitching.jpg
    Vancouver Harbour Panorama - Spring 2017 - Sony Xperia with Autostitching.jpg
    645 KB · Views: 106
  • Sony xPeria - New Brighton Park Vancouver BC Canada - Early Winter 2016.jpg
    Sony xPeria - New Brighton Park Vancouver BC Canada - Early Winter 2016.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0
As an additional PHOTO EXAMPLE-based comment, CAN YOU SAY that a smartphone CANNOT make decent photos that are good enough for web or even print?

These old mid-range Sony xPeria Z2 and older Sony xPeria phones took the photos below. Even WITH it's middle-of-road IQ, the Sony phones took DECENT photos! I say that Canon has a LOT to worry about and if they want to compete, so that LARGE SENSOR CANON SMARTPHONE had better be coming soon! -- Preferably at this year's Photokina!

Attachments

• Sony xPeria Z2 - Whalewatching Near Tofino, BC, Canada.jpg
    Sony xPeria Z2 - Whalewatching Near Tofino, BC, Canada.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 110
  • Sony xPeria Phone - Winter in New Hazelton BC, Canada.jpg
    Sony xPeria Phone - Winter in New Hazelton BC, Canada.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Sony xPeria - Long Desolate Road Near Smithers, BC, Canada.jpg
    Sony xPeria - Long Desolate Road Near Smithers, BC, Canada.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Sony xPeria - Swimming in Golden Ears Park, BC, Canada.jpg
    Sony xPeria - Swimming in Golden Ears Park, BC, Canada.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Sony xPeria-2 -December 16, 2017 Christmas Light in Langley BC, Canada.jpg
    Sony xPeria-2 -December 16, 2017 Christmas Light in Langley BC, Canada.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
image #1 is definitely FAKE and a SLOPPY piece of work at that.

Aside from visual appearance of "shopped in lens mount" and in addition to WRONG white lens mount mark - SQUARE instead of round (EF-S instead of EF-M) - there is at least one more TELLTALE SIGN giving away a not very talented or diligent photoshop faker: LENS RELEASE BUTTON is MISSING. ;D

So, while one might be able to mount a Canon [EF-S] lens on that FAKE carpet-crawling EOS device depicted in FAKE image #1, one would never ever be able to REMOVE the lens again ... Faker simply FORGOT to shop in the little release button. Oh well, SH*T HAPPENS. ;D

As far as "UNIQUE SHAPE" of the FAKE "EOS smartphone body" goes, it seems to be photoshopped using one of many existing Canon Powershot Ixus models.

Sorry Harry but pulling off credible PRANKS in this forum takes quite a bit more effort, thought and skill. ;) :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
fullstop said:

Aside from visual appearance of "shopped in lens mount" and in addition to WRONG white lens mount mark - SQUARE instead of round (EF-S instead of EF-M) - there is at least one more TELLTALE SIGN giving away a not very talented or diligent photoshop faker: LENS RELEASE BUTTON is MISSING. ;D

So, while one might be able to mount a Canon [EF-S] lens on that FAKE carpet-crawling EOS device depicted in FAKE image #1, one would never ever be able to REMOVE the lens again ... Faker simply FORGOT to shop in the little release button. Oh well, SH*T HAPPENS. ;D

Nice try at a debunk, but clearly the lens release function is electronic and voice-activated. That's why he has the pic of the prototype and how he knows it's REAL. It was Stupid Canon that forgot to build in a lens release button, so they were forced to contact Harry – the electronic lens release code was so complex to write that Canon had to have him do it, no one else in the world has enough coding skill.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
HarryFilm said:
My claims CANNOT be deemed reliable because timewise they have simply NOT been borne out yet!

Reliability prediction is based in statistics. Statistically, your predictions are unreliable. Your purported ability to look at a brochure does not qualify as prediction.

HarryFilm said:
I don't own the CNC gear! My friend's company (which he owns in its entirety) does!
I merely have off-the-clock access to almost all of it due to me doing computer and high end cinema related "consulting work"

This is in addition to your jobs designing engines for greater than light speed travel, and building dataservers for the purposes of DNA editing? Man, I must be lazy.

Seriously, though, do you have a blog or an actual/legitimate/real gig as a writer? The volume of words you generate is impressive, even if they signify nothing.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
HarryFilm said:
My claims CANNOT be deemed reliable because timewise they have simply NOT been borne out yet!

Reliability prediction is based in statistics. Statistically, your predictions are unreliable. Your purported ability to look at a brochure does not qualify as prediction.

HarryFilm said:
I don't own the CNC gear! My friend's company (which he owns in its entirety) does!
I merely have off-the-clock access to almost all of it due to me doing computer and high end cinema related "consulting work"

This is in addition to your jobs designing engines for greater than light speed travel, and building dataservers for the purposes of DNA editing? Man, I must be lazy.

Seriously, though, do you have a blog or an actual/legitimate/real gig as a writer? The volume of words you generate is impressive, even if they signify nothing.

===

Signifying Nothing? I strut and fret about soooo many multiple hours upon MY stage!

And its entertainment value most definitely makes you look again and again like the train wreck you ALL are so eager to see....BUT I SHALL BE VINDICATED by Canon's very soon introduction of its Medium Format Very Large Sensor stills/video camera AND a new Canon big sensor smartphone....

Upvote 0
fullstop said:

As far as "UNIQUE SHAPE" of the FAKE "EOS smartphone body" goes, it seems to be photoshopped using one of many existing Canon Powershot Ixus models.

Sorry Harry but pulling off credible PRANKS in this forum takes quite a bit more effort, thought and skill. ;) :)

==

Don't blame ME for the missing lens release button you don't see...I should note that I did say the first photo LOOKS MORE REAL to me! The second photo has ALWAYS looked more "Fake" to me. I can't explain it but something is "BADLY OFF" about that second image. It's hard to tell on that first photo BUT if it IS as fake as you say it is, I am very curious as to WHY someone is taking the time (i.e. it actually takes some SIGNIFICANT TIME to fake photos!) to even BOTHER send images to me like that?

a) What is the end game OTHER than simple LOLs?

b) Is this actually CANON originated material (are they trying to do a deliberate diversionary tactic?)

c) If it IS Canon, are they trying to cover up and/or FIND internal leakers?

d) If THEY ARE DOING THIS, does that mean something BIG is coming down the pipeline that Canon is going to such lengths to cover up that they even BOTHER making such fake photos?

===

Anyways, getting BACK to the original subject matter, if this is NOT just done for LOLs and they (i.e. Canon!) IS doing all this on purpose, what are they TRYING to hide?

Is this a deliberate sort of underground marketing to give a scare to Sony and make current Canon customers hold off on Sony purchases so that they have enough time to finish whatever they are finishing in the Smartphone sphere of products?

My predictions TEND to be NEAR the mark but that is based upon EDUCATED GUESSES after looking intensely at product brochures, current marketing materials and patent applications. Ergo, this means in my opinion that a current effort at making a COMBINED smartphone and Mirrorless large sensor camera is LIKELY already in the testing phase and I personally believe that Canon will make a definitive statement about a Smartphone AT this year's Photokina!

===

So again, if I can take photos like the above using a SIMPLE mid-range smartphone, don't you think it would be a good idea for Canon to come out with a better performing product with a BIGGER sensor? I would if I was the Canon CEO!

I would bring out a HUGE 4K screen (6 inches+) with Lots of System RAM (16 gigabytes) and Lots of on Flash Storage (i.e. 256 gigabytes), powerful CPU (i.e. Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 at least!) and a BIG sensor (i.e. at least 2/3rd inch or even better an APS-C) sensor with a mount that allows INTERCHANGE of Lenses that takes an adapter/extender tube for the Canon L-series FF lenses! And it BETETR have 422 10 bits-per-channel 60 fps DCI 4k (4096x2160) interframe HVEC/H.265 video going at a user-selectable 75 to 300 megabits per second! AND I want my GPS coordinates, elevation and heading data being updated and saved into the output file either every frame or at least every GROUP OF FRAMES (GOP)!

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
HarryFilm said:
Signifying Nothing? I strut and fret about soooo many multiple hours upon MY stage!

And its entertainment value most definitely makes you look again and again like the train wreck you ALL are so eager to see.

Indeed, I do come here for entertainment, so I will look for your posts tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.

HarryFilm said:
Is this a deliberate sort of underground marketing to give a scare to Sony and make current Canon customers hold off on Sony purchases

I certainly believe canon has more regard for its customers than to think a sensor composited onto a blob of bondo will in any way inform purchasing decisions.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'm wondering about that patent we saw for a light field camera last week. It was called out as being a quad pixel patent, but it was actually a light field camera.

That would certainly qualify as something totally new, no one has made a light field camera using dual or quad pixels.

That's because you need a lot more than 4 pixels per 'ray' to get any meaningful light field effect. The Lytro system had a ratio of around 100 pixel elements per ray. So a 40megapixel sensor gave an 0.4 megapixel 'light ray' image.

Upvote 0
If Sigma is going to sit around on the Fovion, they may as well sell it to Canon so they can expand its tech and give it a true 40+ mpixel, and shove that in the 5DmV.
Get rid of the AA limits and color. R&D the DR and bam! you have a new flagship....Oh...You will need a removable wireless EVF that converts to a eye piece like a monocle. When that is in place, we can add the revolver style lens barrel mount for 3 lenses that work like a microscope.....Then you have a REAL camera that all citizens of earth would have. Then the phrase " If you buy a camera, you are a photographer..." would be in full saturation.

Upvote 0