New Unique Macro Coming? [CR1]

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Are you asking for the MP-E65 to be in focus as you move the lens in closer or further away?
That would be really nice, and wouldn't have to break the laws of physics. Just fix the plane of focus to, say, 300mm from the camera image plane. Then let the magnification change by extending the lens by the appropriate amount, without changing focus distance from the image plane. The subject-to-front lens distance would change, but not the subject-to-camera body distance. One would still need a rail for focus stacking, but it would cut down on one variable for framing.

Hjalmarg1 said:
My 15mm f2.8 fisheye with MFD of 15cm can focus as close as a macro.
Yes, but can you get 1:1 magnification? :)

Tyroop said:
Softfocus like the 135/f2.8? No, it wouldn't be a 'world first' - I had that feature with my non-L 100mm macro. The lens was also capable of activating the soft focus feature at random.
Must have been a problem with your specific copy, I see no significant IQ difference between the L and non-L 100mm macros (I've used both).

Upvote 0
My first question would be, is this a dedicated macro lens that only does macro?

For the engineers and technicians amongst you: Is it at all physically possible to gain greater depth of field by changing the lens design or perhaps the distance to/from the sensor or is this relationship set in stone?

If I could dream...internal lighting that will illuminate your subject with 100% beautifully diffused light!

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Parfocal applies to a zoom. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parfocal_lens

Are you asking for the MP-E65 to be in focus as you move the lens in closer or further away? That's a depth of field issue, and its limited by physics, which is why someone suggested a stepper motor for stacked images. You will have to focus a lens when you move it closer or further away.

[quote author=Wikipedia]A parfocal lens is a lens that stays in focus when magnification/focal length is changed.[/quote]

This is nothing to do with changing focusing distances, nor is it directly related to depth of field. As epsiloneri described, "all" I's like is not to have to refocus when changing magnification with an MP-E style lens. I never said it would be easy to implement but it is in theory possible. It would be acceptable if the focal length wasn't constant to make things easier. e.g. if it was a zoom lens.

Upvote 0
BeenThere said:
My guess is a 70-200 f/4 Zoom with 5 stop IS, and maybe DO technology to shorten and lighten it a bit. 1:1 or a little better at all focal lengths and para focal so focus does't change as you zoom.

It's worth remembering that the rated IS drops considerably at macro distances. The 100L has 4-stop IS only at non-macro distances. By 1:1 it's officially 2 stops (as per TDP).

Upvote 0
epsiloneri said:
Hjalmarg1 said:
My 15mm f2.8 fisheye with MFD of 15cm can focus as close as a macro.
Yes, but can you get 1:1 magnification? :)

Not sure how serious you are, but isn't a fisheye macro oxymoronic? 'True' macro implies 1:1 magnification of the subject at the sensor, but a fisheye has the widest field of view of any lens type. How could you have both simultaneously? My gut feeling is it's physically impossible, but I'm not an engineer.

Upvote 0
An EF-M macro with hybrid IS would be tremendous, although it would NOT be sold in the United States. If Canon wants volume sales in a macro I would not expect it to release either an MF-only lens or anything near 100mm. I'm thinking longer focal length (possibly with zoom) and IS and a price tag around $1500 USD. A TS-E macro would be pretty cool though.

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
Upvote 0