Newbie camera help m6 ii vs ?

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi old-pr-pix.
You are not wrong about the peer pressure vs kudos, my nephew took some shots with the 20D of his mates at a local amusement park during their Festival of Lights event, his mates were all, wow that’s cool, is that yours, I told them yes it was his. His “street cred” went way up, they liked his photos too which didn’t hurt!

Cheers, Graham.

Peer pressure is tough for teens; but, it will be totally ok if she gets to be recognized as 'the photographer' among her friends.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Hi Czardoom.
I appreciate what you mean, and I have been heard to say pretty much the same thing.
My 8 year old nephew has been borrowing my EOS 20D, a very capable camera made until August 2006 so falls within your 15yr range, the last time we went out to shoot wildlife he asked after a while if I had a camera that would focus better that he could borrow!
Now I know that the camera focuses extremely well if you get one of the nine focus points on target, so I know the solution to his problem is AF point spacing, too much gap too few points, the next camera I have that has more points is the 7D with 19 points, what is more, I think this is the first APS C camera with more than nine points, the 750D and 70D are the first in their respective ranges with the 19 point AF system, the 1300D is still 9 points!
Unfortunately my 8yr old nephew is not mature enough to have charge of my 7D, there is still too much value in it, the 20D and 17-85mm lens only cost £50 as the seller thought it was faulty, well the lens was faulty, the ribbon for the aperture was broken, cost me £3 and a couple of hours of my time to fix it, a good portion of which was spent looking for the teeny tiny screw that I dropped! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I think my point is that not all old cameras are suited to all genres of photography when the photographer is inexperienced, I can make the 9 points work, I think most adults can, I think many if not all children trying to learn, especially as they probably have experience with camera phones, will struggle!

Cheers, Graham.

Just my opinion, of course, but 9 points works perfectly well for almost all shooting. Turn off 8 of the points and use the center point and recompose. Still the best way, in my opinion, to get pics in focus. Certainly for an 8 year old - or a 15 year old - or in my case, a 62 year old. I doubt any beginner will be shooting wide open for general photography, or doing off-center macro, so center point would be the way to go , in my opinion. So much easier. No camera being fooled by off center objects that are closer.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for the heads up
Is it okay to post website? Seemed legit.

Good thought
They are not a authorized Canon Dealer for mirrorless or DSLR's, perhaps for point and shoot, so a M50 you buy was not purchased from Canon by them, but from another dealer. Technically, that means no warranty, but Canon usually covers them if you have the receipt. With sales dropping, they may not. They are a authorized service center for Canon P&S cameras, they use that badge to fool you. Ask Canon if they are authorized to sell M50's and M lenses if in doubt. Note that the Canon badge for approved DSLR / Mirrorless cameras is different than for point and shoot.

The list of authorized dealers is here: Don't be fooled by the tri state dealer on the list, its in Ohio, while the one you linked to is in New Jersey.

You can search for online reviews, but beware that you can purchase good reviews by the thousand from China. I no longer trust on-line reviews.

I'd recommend any authorized dealer, or get a refurbished camera directly from Canon for less, and you will not have to worry about a warranty or a bait and switch experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
So I ended up getting her a sl-3 with a ef s 18-55mm lens.
Bestbuy priced matched Newegg for $549
Thanks for all the advice. She's very excited. Taking it out now for a test spin. She has lots to learn now.
Good choice, and you got one from a authorized dealer. I had a SL-2. I'd start looking to a 15-85mm lens to go with it, they are a very nice match, and used ones can often be found on Craigslist for a low price. Its a lens that works for everything but macro and longer telephoto or low light.

Low light photography may be a area she will be interested in, a 60mm EF-s Macro works for both and is very sharp.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Good choice, and you got one from a authorized dealer. I had a SL-2. I'd start looking to a 15-85mm lens to go with it, they are a very nice match, and used ones can often be found on Craigslist for a low price. Its a lens that works for everything but macro and longer telephoto or low light.

Low light photography may be a area she will be interested in, a 60mm EF-s Macro works for both and is very sharp.

Good to know, she definitely would like to do some night time shots.

Upvote 0