News: Everything Nikon will roll out later today

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Isengard unleashed:
  • The biggest news of course = Nikon FF mirrorless is here: Z6 + Z7 + 3 Z mount lenses (and likely the F mount adaptor) we've been looking at on another thread are dropping tonight.

• SLR folks get some love: the F mount 500mm Phase Fresnel is getting announced along with the mirrorless system tonight.

• The 58mm f/0.95 lens in the new Z mount is a real thing (!!!), but possibly might not come out at launch. Might just get announced. No pics of that yet.
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 10.41.57 AM.png
- A

You know as much as I like my canon gear, Nikon's introduction of the 200-500mm and now the 500 f5.6, are moves that I wish that canon would /did /will make. The fabled 600mm f4 DO would go a ways towards balancing introductions.
I'm not saying that canon is not innovative, just that Nikon seems to be putting out some gear that looks good, and is certainly capturing the thick air.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Bye bye, Nikon mirrorslappers, bye bye F-mount. Nikon will replace them all with Z-mount lenses, inclusing those that are not likely to become smaller [70-200/2.8 anyone?]. hehehe. Exactly as I expected. Canon will (have to) do exactly the same. Multi-year transition, for sure. But total elimination of mirrorslapping within a few years.

@YuenLinger, sorry mate, but your EF glass will be absolutely worthless shortly. So please send it to me, I'll take care of it. :p :D

Nikon-Z-mirrorless-roadmap.jpg

Upvote 0

lb

Aug 1, 2014
What is Canon going to do, Nikon has nothing to loose with all the new features and camera they are producing with more innovative ideas, Canon on the other hand will have to cannibalize existing markets now that all the other manufacturers DSLR range of cameras do both top quality stills and motion video, where as we have old fashioned motion qualities in our DSLR and have to purchase from our movie camera range for top quality video, now Canon will cripple their own video range market to enhance their DSLR range, in the near future and I believe the cheap Mirror less range will also disappear in the future as the sensor quality is no longer up to scratch, I also believe that the heavy Canon White lens range will have to go the same as Nikon with lighter and more compact long focal length lenses, the other concern I have is our mount good enough or will it be re configured, if so i hope a good quality adapter just like Nikon has produces that allows the existing f mount lenses to attach without any issues, Canon are standing on the side catching the mice while the elephants are galloping past, I have been using Canon equipment for a long time and shoot with a group of 4 others all of us were Canon users but in the past 3 years I am the only one still shooting with Canon gear, 1 purchased Sony and now has a few lenses the quality that he shoots is excellent the other 3 have gone Nikon D850 and their images are excellent, the camera's and glass they use is incomparable and very high quality, images they produce out of the Nikon gear to what I expected to compare with my Canon equipment but I have to admit this is not the case, in future months if Canon does not catch up I think I will be going Nikon Mirror less.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
And the Nikon Noct 58/0.95. So big, so fat. Will it cost 2 kidneys or will 1 get it? And even more iomprtantly: will there be enough clearance/space for banana fingers between grip and lens when this BIG MAMA PICKLE JAR is mounted to a Nikon Z6 or Z7 ... the only 2 cameras on earth it can be used on? OMG!!!

Nikon-Z-Noct-Nikkor-58mm-f0.95-lens4.jpg

...and it's manual focus only.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
are you sure about the 58/0.95 NOT having AF?

100%, from the press release: "Nikon is currently developing the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct, a standard prime manual focus lens and the fastest lens in Nikon’s history."

What sense would that make?

Because Otus lenses are pointless. :rolleyes:

I admit MF lenses are not my particular cup of tea, especially for this FL + max aperture that is far more likely to be used in portraiture than on Liveview / tripod landscape work. But Mirrorless kind of brings the focusing screen back into use here, which is not something you can get on a 6D2 or 5D4 these days.

I am not standing up for Nikon here -- this is clearly a 'See, we can have nice things, too!' sort of passion play / pride effort going on here. The fact that a workhorse 50mm f/1.2 (surely with AF) is also in the pipeline somewhat underscores what a showhorse this Noct lens is.

- A

Upvote 0
Upvote 0