Next official EF-M Lens

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
Following the release of the Canon EF-M 55-200 and the third party Tamron EF-M 18-200, what's next for the EF-M range from Canon, the four lens range is nice, but perhaps limited in appeal, what would you like to see and also, what patents are out there currently ?

I've said a number of times that is like a compact pancake zoom, something like a 17-35mm range, but also a larger 15-85/135 would be a potentially big seller. Less appealing to me perhaps, but I'm sure a couple of fast primes would reinforce the appeal of the system, 35mm & 50mm perhaps.

I'm still also hopeful of a wider range of cameras, a EOS-M in a DSLR style, something like a thinner Canon 100D, with the M3 as a mid-range and a value version of the M3

Over to you !

We shouldn't forget that the EOS M was "an experiment", as their CEO said. There are no real rumors about the long-awaited M3. I do still believe that Canon will go mirrorless with their 'normal' SLR's (I expect the 7DII to be the first one -> hybrid VF, stunning video functions, many autofocus points etc.) and they will have an EF mount, otherwise they would kill themselves after building up a lens system for, I don't know, 40 years?! I wouldn't bet on the M system.

Upvote 0
tayassu said:
We shouldn't forget that the EOS M was "an experiment", as their CEO said. There are no real rumors about the long-awaited M3. I do still believe that Canon will go mirrorless with their 'normal' SLR's (I expect the 7DII to be the first one -> hybrid VF, stunning video functions, many autofocus points etc.) and they will have an EF mount, otherwise they would kill themselves after building up a lens system for, I don't know, 40 years?! I wouldn't bet on the M system.

an experiment where every piece of glass for the system so far is damn good

Upvote 0
tayassu said:

I hoped for an EF-X mount which exhibits compatibility to EF-X-lenses with eXtremely small back focus - a large part of the lens might be inside the camera including focusing motor, IS system ...
This EF-X mount I hoped for would have been compatible to EF and EF-S lenses. No need for an adaptor would be interesting. The mount flange had made the cameras thicker but if the hypothetical EF-X 2.0 22 had nearly everything behind the mount it had to protrude just 3 or 4 mm and resulted in a moderately flat camera-lens-combo. The larger camera thickness would have allowed for a camera grip hiding a much larger battery to go for 500 or 600 shots.

So I like your idea to use the EF mount for future mirrorless cameras - hopefully Canon will read/hear us.

But so long the EOS M will be a very good camera with APS-C (sensor) quality and compact outline ... I like mine very much for what it is ...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
Haydn1971 said:
Digging around, there appears to be patent applications for the following Canon branded lenses...

16-120mm f3.5-5.6 - please ! Now !!!
18-200mm f3.5-6.3 - how very Tamron
22-46mm f3.5-5.6 - Presumably pancake, could be tempted ;-)
I agree - the 16-120 could be a winner and the Tammy has #2 covered but I don't understand he last
one. It is an overlap of the 18-55 kit lens unless there is something I'm missing. Pancake you say ? Pancake zoom?

Upvote 0
Jamesy said:
Haydn1971 said:
Digging around, there appears to be patent applications for the following Canon branded lenses...

I agree - the 16-120 could be a winner and the Tammy has #2 covered but I don't understand he last
one. It is an overlap of the 18-55 kit lens unless there is something I'm missing. Pancake you say ? Pancake zoom?
Yes, maybe something like http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/lenses/olympus_m_14-42_3p5-5p6_ez

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
bainsybike said:
Jamesy said:
Haydn1971 said:

Yes, maybe something like http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/lenses/olympus_m_14-42_3p5-5p6_ez
Cool - thanks for that - I am not all that up on m43 gear - that looks like it would be an ultra compact addition to the M lineup.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
tayassu said:
There are no real rumors about the long-awaited M3.

long awaited? M2 came out last December o_O

Haydn1971 said:
Following the release of the Canon EF-M 55-200 and the third party Tamron EF-M 18-200, what's next for the EF-M range from Canon, the four lens range is nice, but perhaps limited in appeal, what would you like to see and also, what patents are out there currently ?

I'd love a compact 16 to 17mm prime. Or for Sigma to make it's E mount lenses over to the M mount (easy flip for them).

15-85mm would be sweet as well - but it would have to be slow to keep the size down.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
long awaited? M2 came out last December o_O

M2 was not officially released outside of Asia, so most people know of it but have no option to buy it. I did get a chance to test it out and while a smidge better, I found it too on par with the original to keep for the money. Especially since it could not run with Magic Lantern.

rrcphoto said:
Or for Sigma to make it's E mount lenses over to the M mount (easy flip for them).

Good idea! =)

Personally, I would love a vastly improved/full frame version of the M but not sure if Canon will have something substantial out before the competition.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
daemorhedron said:
Personally, I would love a vastly improved/full frame version of the M but not sure if Canon will have something substantial out before the competition.

I would love that too, but it's beyond any doubt that the competition, such as it is, is already way ahead of them (esp Sony A7/a7r/A7s & A6000, or, if you don't mind the smaller sensors, the better M43 cameras)!

Upvote 0