Nikon D600 announced - $2100, let's see how Canon response!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
weixing said:
Hi,
verysimplejason said:
I think it's not only the price. Upgraders from APS-C will find Nikon offering much easier to take. Imagine if you're invested in DX (AF-S) glasses. You can still take D600 and little by little upgrade your lenses. It's besides the fact that it's offering it at almost the same price of 5D2. Wow!
I just wonder how many people will actually use the crop mode over a long period of time? For example, a user who own a D3200 with quite a number of DX lens decided to upgrade to D600 while he'll slowly upgrade to FX lens... then suddenly realized in DX mode, he only had 10MP on D600 while his old D3200 had 24MP... hmm... I'm not sure about others, but for me, I'll not be very happy during the transition time. If I'm a Nikon user ready to upgrade to a FF DSLR, I'll first upgrade all my len to FX lens before getting a FF DSLR.

So, for me, a FF DSLR offering a crop mode is not attractive at all, unless when using crop mode, the FF DSLR can achieve a much higher frame rate then that's another story.

Have a nice day.

Not many of course but still the path remains for APS-C upgraders. Not everybody takes the path that we are taking (lens first before body). But at least the choice is still there. I'm also not saying it's an important feature, but at least Nikon cares for those upgraders.

Also the extra reach albeit reduced IQ for DX mode is important for some (bird and action photogs). I know, it can be achieved in post-processing but still the reduced post-processing time is a welcome one.

Upvote 0
mitch.o said:
Canon doesn't just set their prices based on the (supposed) superiority of a competitor's product. They set prices based on their own production costs.

I'm quite sure you're wrong here - their production costs have nothing to do with it, I doubt they can even figure them out considering the r&d involved that has to be returned, too. The price is simply as high as they can get away with it w/o loosing too much market share, and whey the early adopters got the products they'll lower the price according to demand (that might be official or vendor rebates, too).

Aglet said:
But with 4 Nik bodies already on hand I can certainly wait to see what Canon's response will be and how each of these new "budget" FF bodies perform on the test charts.

My 2 cents: $2000+ certainly isn't "budget", for this price I expect a quality product even though of course they won't cannibalize the 5d3.

marinien said:
No AF micro adjust. Max flash sync 1/200s. Max shutter speed 1/4000s.+

Well, 1/4000s certainly is enough for 99% of my shots. The 5d series only has 1/200, too - doesn't matter much because of hss though. But no afma is rather impertinent on a camera with this price tag, I guess it's cut to prevent people buying 3rd party lenses that often need adjustment.

Freelancer said:
Bennymiata said:
This new D600 still doesn't sway me enough to trade out of my 5D3.
you are not the brightest bulb around if you even considered that.

The real question is: What would you buy for the same price - a 6d with a new 24-70 mk2 or a 5d3 with a Tamron 24-70? Yeah, right. But this is just theory because the 5d3 will freefall once enough quantities of the 6d are on the market and it isn't too crippled.

Upvote 0
A

And-Rew

I find the specs for this camera impressive, and the price - both of which should cause Canon some concerns.

To me, this very much takes the mantle away from the 5D2 - and certainly puts pressure on the 5D3.

Yes, I know the 5D2 is 4 years old etc - but even now it is still the benchmark that is used to judge the current releases by.

The price of this camera is slightly less than where the 5D3 should be - which would then have left it killing the competition dead in the water - but instead, Canon have opted to scare off a lot of potential customers and fans by creating these ridiculous prices for their newer kit. Technology prices are supposed to get cheaper - but not in Canon's case, it is most definitely bucking a very long trend without any supporting evidence except greed!

How will Canon respond? Probably with another own goal! ???

Upvote 0
If Canon wants to respond with a hypothetical "6D", they don't have as much room to manoeuvre as Nikon. From what I gather, the full frame sensor is certainly a major component of the cost of producing these cameras; so Canon doesn't have a lot of opportunity to undercut the D600, even if they wanted to. They would certainly struggle to match the D600's specifications, because that would make the "6D" too similar to the 5D MkIII. I'm afraid that I have to agree with some of the previous posters on this thread: we'll see a situation very similar to the 60D vs. D7000, where Canon simply introduces a lower specified competitior for the same (or more) money...

Upvote 0
And-Rew said:
Technology prices are supposed to get cheaper - but not in Canon's case, it is most definitely bucking a very long trend without any supporting evidence except greed!

Economists tell us there's nothing wrong with greed.

But concerning tech advance, if everything would keep getting cheaper a tech company would be selling everything for $100 in some time. Instead they re-invest the money saved from tech advance into better products - and the 5d3 would have been if it'd have had the price of the 5d2 on release.

Basti187 said:
so the cheapest d600 i can find for the UK is £1800($2900) which is £300 less than for the 5dm3

All now products have an early adopter's premium on it, the d600 will drop a couple of hundred whatever after a few month and you'll get better prices from competitive dealers once enough d600 are on the shelves.

Upvote 0
Okay, so where's that "it's gonna be $1500, canon's gonna poop their pants" guy now?

So, we've got a camera that's $300 more than and basically a 'single step up' from the 4 year old canon. I'll pass.

Seriously, 6D could simply be what was posted: 7D AF, digic V+ FF and sell for $2500 without issue.

Boy, I'm glad we were prepared with thread-upon-thread about how this camera was going to put Canon out of business ::)

Upvote 0
torger said:
A major part of the manufacturing cost is the sensor, large sensors are exponentially more expensive than smaller ones. With today's sensor manufacturing technology a full-frame camera cannot approach the price of an APS-C camera.

Just a little lesson in manufacturing economics. The cost of manufacturing has nothing - repeat - nothing to do with the price that any product sells for in the marketplace.

The price in the market, even as "suggested" by the manufacturer is always based on feedback from the market - thats you and me. The lifecycle of a product is not from the ground up, but from the final concept down. Marketing at a company decides it needs a product with feature set "X" at price point "Y" to compete. This is all based on marketing research, focus groups, informed decisions, and gut level feelings of the marketing department. At that point, they go to manufacturing and say "build us this....(whatever)". There may be some back and forth, especially when new technology will need to be brought in. The back and forth is more or less to determine the scale of the expected propduct - its product life, the number of units, how they can also use technology in other products... that sort of thing. At the end of the day - manufacturing's job is to build marketing's product, and do it at the lowest possible price, so that they make the most money. In a company the size of Canon, manufacturing is a seperate company within a company, with their own bottom line. They sell to marketing, which in turn has its own bottom line... but... always.... the actual "cost" to make anything, has no effect on its sale price. The price is always determined by market conditions. Always.

(the above is the condensed version, proto Readers Digest etc etc)

Upvote 0
pakosouthpark said:
if canon could surprise us with better specs and same price.. but it won't. let's see what they come up with..

It's really not about the core specs but about the complete set including firmware features and handling - but only a real review will tell us in a couple of month when the real hardware is here (if ever).

Upvote 0
CharlieB said:
torger said:
A major part of the manufacturing cost is the sensor, large sensors are exponentially more expensive than smaller ones. With today's sensor manufacturing technology a full-frame camera cannot approach the price of an APS-C camera.

Just a little lesson in manufacturing economics. The cost of manufacturing has nothing - repeat - nothing to do with the price that any product sells for in the marketplace.

The price in the market, even as "suggested" by the manufacturer is always based on feedback from the market - thats you and me. The lifecycle of a product is not from the ground up, but from the final concept down. Marketing at a company decides it needs a product with feature set "X" at price point "Y" to compete. This is all based on marketing research, focus groups, informed decisions, and gut level feelings of the marketing department. At that point, they go to manufacturing and say "build us this....(whatever)". There may be some back and forth, especially when new technology will need to be brought in. The back and forth is more or less to determine the scale of the expected propduct - its product life, the number of units, how they can also use technology in other products... that sort of thing. At the end of the day - manufacturing's job is to build marketing's product, and do it at the lowest possible price, so that they make the most money. In a company the size of Canon, manufacturing is a seperate company within a company, with their own bottom line. They sell to marketing, which in turn has its own bottom line... but... always.... the actual "cost" to make anything, has no effect on its sale price. The price is always determined by market conditions. Always.

(the above is the condensed version, proto Readers Digest etc etc)
But must at least higher than the manufacturing cost, right?? Unless they just want to get the market share :p

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
dstppy said:
Okay, so where's that "it's gonna be $1500, canon's gonna poop their pants" guy now?

So, we've got a camera that's $300 more than and basically a 'single step up' from the 4 year old canon. I'll pass.

Seriously, 6D could simply be what was posted: 7D AF, digic V+ FF and sell for $2500 without issue.

Boy, I'm glad we were prepared with thread-upon-thread about how this camera was going to put Canon out of business ::)

As long as there are people who think a 4 year old 5D Mark II is just as good as a brand new D600, Canon has NOTHING to worry about...

Upvote 0
CharlieB said:

+1 ... another factor they'll have in mind is the devaluation of the products and what premium customers will pay to get a product that doesn't drop in price too fast (ff camera bodies) or not at all (L lenses). That's why I'd even consider buying the new 24-70ii - unless it's stolen or I manage to trash it, unlike Tamron I'd expect to be able to sell the Canon lens later on if I find I don't need it anymore.

lola said:
As long as there are people who think a 4 year old 5D Mark II is just as good as a brand new D600, Canon has NOTHING to worry about...

But they do, actually their worry is that the 5d2 is just too good to make an easy profit with a "real" successor 6d - either it'll be too expensive to people will still get a 5d3 or 5d2 as long as possible, or it'll be too inexpensive cutting profits.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.