Nikon D600 announced - $2100, let's see how Canon response!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
EYEONE said:
I think the 6D has to have a pop up flash. It won't, but it should. The only use a pop up flash is to me is for controlling other external flashes. To me that's a huge deal.

I'd rather it have the ability to directly control the 600EX-RT (and future -RT Speedlites) via radio with no pop-up flash. But it won't have that, either. ::)

Upvote 0
Helevitia said:
The only lens I have is the 70-200 IS USM II. If Canon doesn't come out with a competitor to the D600, I might consider selling all equipment and switching. I'll wait for reviews before making that choice.

If your only point of reference is the 70-200/2.8IS II, you'll probably be pretty disappointed with most of Nikons lenses. If that is the better platform for you, then by all means switch; you might be wise to rent first though, just to be safe.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
EYEONE said:
I think the 6D has to have a pop up flash. It won't, but it should. The only use a pop up flash is to me is for controlling other external flashes. To me that's a huge deal.

I'd rather it have the ability to directly control the 600EX-RT (and future -RT Speedlites) via radio with no pop-up flash. But it won't have that, either. ::)

Well, sure. Since we're dreaming I'll take that ability too :p

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Yeah, to me the pop-up flash is a waste of space atop the camera, I'd rather it be something embedded in the camera that allows control.

Helevitia said:
So my perfect Canon Camera would be FF sensor, 6-7fps, built-in flash, 1/8000, usb 3, better ISO noise than the 7D, great AF system. If Canon can do that, I will be a first day buyer.
Well, it definitely won't be 6-7fps, but you'll get the better ISO noise and AF system no doubt. USB3 would be nice, and I don't really care about the 1/4000 or 1/8000 distinction, neither is a critical setting for any action I shoot. I'm pretty happy with 1/1000th in most cases, to get to 1/8000th I'd need a really bright day

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
EYEONE said:

I'm afraid that with the sudden yanking of the 580EXII and Canon's unwillingness to make a receiver that would allow backward compatibility with the 580 series, we may have seen the last of the infrared triggers through popup flashes. I expect that to be dropped from the 7DII and all future models.

Not happy about it. I'm usually pretty forgiving of Canon, but their approach on the 600EX-RT was just not very professional when it could have so easily been addressed with an RT-Receiver. Purposely making their previously flagship model flash incompatible when such an easy fix is available is just irresponsible in my book. I'm just waiting for a Chinese company to come out with one. Serves Canon right on this.

Upvote 0
M

Musouka

Even Nikon is using USB2 for the D600 so I doubt Canon would use USB3 for the 6D (Sony is also using USB2 for the A99).

At least they should make the (dual) SD slot(s) SDXC and UHS compatible + stereo mic for video recording. You will get less control in video but hopefully ML would solve that. Let us hope they won't go back to line-skipping in video, though. This way they can have something to counter the uncompressed video via HDMI feature in the D600.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
ashmadux said:
Nope, im shooting fashion week with a 'rebel' t2i- this rebel iq whoops 7d booty. Disclaimer- using the t2i because of image quality, and 7d is being retired, ready for trade in. Noisy POS.

The T2i and 7D use the same CMOS image sensor...but you're claiming the T2i has substantially better IQ? That's like buying two bottles of Guinness Extra Stout from different liquor stores and claiming one tastes much better...I suppose it's possible - but if so, it's clearly subjective and most likely due to having smoked something first...
I used to have both T2i and 7D. I also feel the IQ on T2i is better than 7D when the AF is accurate. Most time 7D has really grate/accurate AF, but T2i doesn't.
Don't forget one thing, 7D has new firmware and that might improve the IQ bit. Unfortunately, I have not chance to test the new firmware out.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
ashmadux said:
verysimplejason said:
shannon76 said:
Wow, $2,100 and Nikon doesn't even give you a full metal body? I hope Canon isn't so cheap with the magnesium alloy. You can get the 7D for $1200 and the body is a tank. Hopefully the 6D will be the same. :-\

7D, built like a tank, but rebel-like IQ. Even 650D is better. :(

Nope, im shooting fashion week with a 'rebel' t2i- this rebel iq whoops 7d booty. Disclaimer- using the t2i because of image quality, and 7d is being retired, ready for trade in. Noisy POS.

7D > T2i in everything.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
cliffwang said:
Don't forget one thing, 7D has new firmware and that might improve the IQ bit. Unfortunately, I have not chance to test the new firmware out.
That's not really gonna improve IQ, as it doesn't affect the sensor or how the image is written. Maybe if you shoot all .jpg it could help a little with how it processes it, but for RAW files, Id be stunned if there is a difference. It was more an improvement on burst rate and some video features.

Having used the T2i, T3i, and 60D, the IQ is the same in all of them if I was shooting the same scene. Haven't used the 7D, but I can't see why it would differ

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

K-amps said:
Looks like you are carrying a peeve from our disagreement on the 24-70 thread. ;)

No one said that the 5D3 was not a good blend/ all round camera, I own one myself. But I still think they Milked me and you. :p
I'm not carrying a peeve. I do think we have a philosophical disagreement on both of these products.

It is clear that camera manufacturers (not just Canon) introduce products at elevated prices to take advantage of early adopters. This is true in many areas of commerce. The subsequent decline in price is a form of variable pricing, which increases profit by attracting buyers at different price levels at different times. Those who have an immediate need are willing to pay more. Those who don't have an immediate need are willing to wait and save some money. But there is nothing wrong with this. No doubt, the 5D3 has some extra introductory "load" in the pricing. It will eventually fall in price like most cameras do.

However, other than that introductory bump in price, I don't think we have any basis to say the 5D3 is overpriced for what it offers. It's not a fungible substitute for the D800, so why should it be the same price? It is likely that if Canon had to target the 5D3 for a lower selling price, then it would have been a lesser camera in some details, and then people would have complained that it should have been better. I can't prove that, but I think it stands to reason.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
preppyak said:
Having used the T2i, T3i, and 60D, the IQ is the same in all of them if I was shooting the same scene. Haven't used the 7D, but I can't see why it would differ

See, the thing is, I bought one of those bottles of Guinness on sale, and it was a buck cheaper than the other one that I paid full price. The cheaper one tastes better. It does. Trust me.

Upvote 0
C

cptobvious

$2100 is low enough to pressure Canon to release the 6D more quickly, but not enough to drop the price on the 5D2. I'm on the fence right now without a camera, looking for the best FF I can get for under $1500. The pipe dream of a $1500 D600 is gone, so I'm hoping (but not expecting) that a discontinued/refurbished 5D2 or D700 will pop up around that price by Black Friday/Christmastime. However, the D700 sold out so quickly at $2000 that I think it'll be a long wait. I may just have to return to the old 5D.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
cptobvious said:
$2100 is low enough to pressure Canon to release the 6D more quickly, but not enough to drop the price on the 5D2. I'm on the fence right now without a camera, looking for the best FF I can get for under $1500. The pipe dream of a $1500 D600 is gone, so I'm hoping (but not expecting) that a discontinued/refurbished 5D2 or D700 will pop up around that price by Black Friday/Christmastime. However, the D700 sold out so quickly at $2000 that I think it'll be a long wait. I may just have to return to the old 5D.

You can get FF digital cameras for 700$. ::)

Upvote 0
S

stabmasterasron

meli said:
FunkyCamera said:
Half plastic, overpriced, usual Nikon poor image quality, very inaccurate autofocus... don't know why they even bothered. Pointless gimmick camera. Bit I guess they'll just bribe dxo to give it 10x the score it deserves again.
funny world you're living in mate :)

Yeah, that is funny. I miss you guys. I have not been on this forum in a few months because I sold all my Canon gear and bought a d7000. But I see it is as caustic as ever on here. I don't worry about specs and dxoMark scores and all of that stuff any more, I am just have a wonderful time shooting with my miraculous d7000. I hope the d600 is just as good. But I won't be buying one any time soon, I am happy with what I have.

Upvote 0
preppyak said:
cliffwang said:
That's not really gonna improve IQ, as it doesn't affect the sensor or how the image is written. Maybe if you shoot all .jpg it could help a little with how it processes it, but for RAW files, Id be stunned if there is a difference. It was more an improvement on burst rate and some video features.

I think firmware might help IQ. If you are taking picture on the same place, light, and same setting, yes I believe the IQ from T2i, T3i, 60D, and 7D will be no different. However, the newer firmware might be a little smarter for its lighting optimizer. Another probability is like neur mentioned, tastes. I really cannot tell. Technically their IQ should be same, but I just feel they are slight different. Anyway, 7D was my favorite camera before I got 5D3.

Upvote 0
stabmasterasron said:
Yeah, that is funny. I miss you guys. I have not been on this forum in a few months because I sold all my Canon gear and bought a d7000. But I see it is as caustic as ever on here. I don't worry about specs and dxoMark scores and all of that stuff any more, I am just have a wonderful time shooting with my miraculous d7000. I hope the d600 is just as good. But I won't be buying one any time soon, I am happy with what I have.

The real joke here is that I checked Nikonrumors earlier today and the people here seem positively ecstatic about the d600 compared to that crowd. :eek:

Upvote 0
S

stabmasterasron

daniel_charms said:
stabmasterasron said:

The real joke here is that I checked Nikonrumors earlier today and the people here seem positively ecstatic about the d600 compared to that crowd. :eek:

Yes, it's a lot like when the 5dmkiii dropped. The rest of the photographic would was pretty excited. I checked in here and there were multiple forum threads about how much it sucked and how Canon dropped the ball. I guess you can't make everyone happy. You could offer the 1Dx for $5 and someone would complain about how big it is (thats what she said). :p

Upvote 0
cptobvious said:
If you're willing to get a kit and sell the 24-105 for around $800 then you can have something pretty close to that. I got a 5D mark ii for $2400 with the 24-105. I said was going to sell the lens to my wife and then I just ended up keeping it :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.