Nikon D600 announced - $2100, let's see how Canon response!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marsu42 said:
lola said:
As long as there are people who think a 4 year old 5D Mark II is just as good as a brand new D600, Canon has NOTHING to worry about...

But they do, actually their worry is that the 5d2 is just too good to make an easy profit with a "real" successor 6d - either it'll be too expensive to people will still get a 5d3 or 5d2 as long as possible, or it'll be too inexpensive cutting profits.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic . . . implying that those that look at actual images and performance are mindless automatons, unlike people that buy the newest thing with 3 more pixels :)

Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
Haha! This is the justification I use every time I buy a new lens :D

Marsu42 said:
CharlieB said:
Just a little lesson in manufacturing economics. The cost of manufacturing has nothing - repeat - nothing to do with the price that any product sells for in the marketplace.

+1 ... another factor they'll have in mind is the devaluation of the products and what premium customers will pay to get a product that doesn't drop in price too fast (ff camera bodies) or not at all (L lenses). That's why I'd even consider buying the new 24-70ii - unless it's stolen or I manage to trash it, unlike Tamron I'd expect to be able to sell the Canon lens later on if I find I don't need it anymore.

lola said:
As long as there are people who think a 4 year old 5D Mark II is just as good as a brand new D600, Canon has NOTHING to worry about...

But they do, actually their worry is that the 5d2 is just too good to make an easy profit with a "real" successor 6d - either it'll be too expensive to people will still get a 5d3 or 5d2 as long as possible, or it'll be too inexpensive cutting profits.

Upvote 0
dstppy said:
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic . . . implying that those that look at actual images and performance are mindless automatons, unlike people that buy the newest thing with 3 more pixels :)

Wups, hard to figure out for me sometimes what people say w/o smilies if opinions are so contradictory as about d800/5d3/...

Upvote 0
weixing said:
But must at least higher than the manufacturing cost, right?? Unless they just want to get the market share :p

On low end equipment, sure. On high end equipment, for which the customer is expected to buy some accessories (batteries, grip, flash, big white lens, etc), Canon can lose money on the camera and cover it from the profits on the accessories.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
pakosouthpark said:
if canon could surprise us with better specs and same price.. but it won't. let's see what they come up with..

It's really not about the core specs but about the complete set including firmware features and handling - but only a real review will tell us in a couple of month when the real hardware is here (if ever).

It will be a surprise if Canon will churn out a sensor better than the one in 5D3 and 1DX for 6D. I'm expecting 6D's sensor to be below of that D600. I'm crossing my fingers that they do exceed expectations though. I really want to upgrade already to FF after I acquire my 17-40L.

Upvote 0
scrappydog said:
weixing said:
CharlieB said:
torger said:
A major part of the manufacturing cost is the sensor, large sensors are exponentially more expensive than smaller ones. With today's sensor manufacturing technology a full-frame camera cannot approach the price of an APS-C camera.

Just a little lesson in manufacturing economics. The cost of manufacturing has nothing - repeat - nothing to do with the price that any product sells for in the marketplace.

The price in the market, even as "suggested" by the manufacturer is always based on feedback from the market - thats you and me. The lifecycle of a product is not from the ground up, but from the final concept down. Marketing at a company decides it needs a product with feature set "X" at price point "Y" to compete. This is all based on marketing research, focus groups, informed decisions, and gut level feelings of the marketing department. At that point, they go to manufacturing and say "build us this....(whatever)". There may be some back and forth, especially when new technology will need to be brought in. The back and forth is more or less to determine the scale of the expected propduct - its product life, the number of units, how they can also use technology in other products... that sort of thing. At the end of the day - manufacturing's job is to build marketing's product, and do it at the lowest possible price, so that they make the most money. In a company the size of Canon, manufacturing is a seperate company within a company, with their own bottom line. They sell to marketing, which in turn has its own bottom line... but... always.... the actual "cost" to make anything, has no effect on its sale price. The price is always determined by market conditions. Always.

(the above is the condensed version, proto Readers Digest etc etc)
But must at least higher than the manufacturing cost, right?? Unless they just want to get the market share :p
Have a nice day.
No, actually. Pricing is based on many things, one of which is the cost of manufacturing. Consider video game consoles: they always launch at a price point less than the manufacturing cost in order to reap profits from software licensing.

Have a nice day.

It will also depend on how much they want to "protect" their market share. After all, a customer lost is almost lost forever once he invests on a lens and body. It's very hard to switch to another system due to the cost.

Upvote 0
verysimplejason said:
shannon76 said:
Wow, $2,100 and Nikon doesn't even give you a full metal body? I hope Canon isn't so cheap with the magnesium alloy. You can get the 7D for $1200 and the body is a tank. Hopefully the 6D will be the same. :-\

7D, built like a tank, but rebel-like IQ. Even 650D is better. :(

citation required . . .

Upvote 0
dstppy said:
verysimplejason said:
shannon76 said:
Wow, $2,100 and Nikon doesn't even give you a full metal body? I hope Canon isn't so cheap with the magnesium alloy. You can get the 7D for $1200 and the body is a tank. Hopefully the 6D will be the same. :-\

citation required . . .

No need. Sensor is same with 550D unless you dispute it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
verysimplejason said:
dstppy said:
verysimplejason said:
shannon76 said:

citation required . . .

Yes, the 7D, 60D, T2i/550D, and T3i/600D use the same sensor. The 650D adds on-sensor phase detect AF. You're saying the 650D has better IQ than the 550D/600D/7D...and if you're making that claim, you need to back it up, because from the testing that I've seen, there's no meaningful difference in IQ.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
verysimplejason said:
dstppy said:
verysimplejason said:
shannon76 said:

citation required . . .

Yes, the 7D, 60D, T2i/550D, and T3i/600D use the same sensor. The 650D adds on-sensor phase detect AF. You're saying the 650D has better IQ than the 550D/600D/7D...and if you're making that claim, you need to back it up, because from the testing that I've seen, there's no meaningful difference in IQ.

That's the exact word... no meaningful difference. Sorry I've made a mistake of comparing 7D to an almost 50% cheaper new rebel. :)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
dstppy said:
Okay, so where's that "it's gonna be $1500, canon's gonna poop their pants" guy now?... Boy, I'm glad we were prepared with thread-upon-thread about how this camera was going to put Canon out of business ::)

They are all busy preparing their "Canon's-charging-$2100-for-a-camera-that-has-two-less-megapixels-and-only-19-autofocus-points-and-doesn't-even-have-a-pop-up-flash-I'm-gonna-sell-my-40D-and-switch-to-Nikon" rants.

verysimplejason said:
I hope they'll sell 5D2 @ around $1K or $1.3K. :D I'll take it without thinking.

That version will by delivered by Bigfoot riding a Unicorn.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
verysimplejason said:
dstppy said:
verysimplejason said:
shannon76 said:

+1 pretty sure 7d is a way different camera than 650d!

citation required . . .

Upvote 0
kennephoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
verysimplejason said:
dstppy said:
verysimplejason said:
shannon76 said:

+1 pretty sure 7d is a way different camera than 650d!

citation required . . .

he said it all. right? :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.